Is 140,000 miles alot on Toyota Camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: thorromig
New Monroe Struts all the way around, new engine mounts replaced in 2012, new iridium spark plugs last year, new serpentine belt replaced in 2011, oil changed every 5000 miles with Pennzoil High Milage until my takeover, new air & cabin filter replaced in 2014, tranny fluid drained & replaced in 2014. New brakes replaced all the way around in 2012, techron fuel injector cleaner ran at the end of the last couple oil changes. Car has had its routine maintnance done since new. I will more than likely keep the Camry at least for another 2 years I have decided. Till then I can save more dimes and go from there. Also just put new tires all the way around and that was $700.00 skins.

By all means, keep it!

My '04 Accord is at 141k and runs like a top. I will be very disappointed if anything major fails before 250k.

Once upon a time I would have said "no" but lately I might be inclined to say "yes."

The Camry has a reputation for reliability and durability, but it's still just a car. Like all other cars it comes down to how well it was cared for.

Then there's some of the problems that no amount of care can prevent, like the head bolts pulling out of the block in the fifth gen models and the oil consumption of the sixth gen models.

So if your particular 140,000 mile Camry is happy and healthy, I wouldn't think twice about pushing it for as long as possible. I hope to see 200,000 in mine, at least, and I don't have much of a doubt that it'll get there.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
New Monroe Struts all the way around, new engine mounts replaced in 2012, new iridium spark plugs last year, new serpentine belt replaced in 2011, oil changed every 5000 miles with Pennzoil High Milage until my takeover, new air & cabin filter replaced in 2014, tranny fluid drained & replaced in 2014. New brakes replaced all the way around in 2012, techron fuel injector cleaner ran at the end of the last couple oil changes. Car has had its routine maintnance done since new. I will more than likely keep the Camry at least for another 2 years I have decided. Till then I can save more dimes and go from there. Also just put new tires all the way around and that was $700.00 skins.

You are good to go, the way you maintain it should last at least 5 more years.

Originally Posted By: CT8
It depends on how the car was maintained.

^This. Some people can destroy any car in well under 140k, others can drive it to 300k.

I say keep it until it starts falling apart or nickel and diming you. Our 2004 has over 160,000 miles and the engine and transmission are still strong. Few things have gone wrong with it except the wheel bearings and normal wear and tear items. And we didn't even go all crazy over maintenance, except oil changes every 5000 miles and fluid changes here and there.

This. Not knowing the history at that mileage is what would worry me.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

This. Not knowing the history at that mileage is what would worry me.

He does know the history. It was his Aunt's, "car has had its routine maintenance done since new."

I dont think its a lot if you have another car in case something goes wrong. If its your only ride...I might be nervous after about 180-200k. If you have backup, you can always push it. None of my cars have much over 100k yet, but im going to keep all for a while and see how far they go.

My Mom's 2002 Camry (4 cylinder) is nearing 150K miles. It's been well maintained and should have a lot of life left in it. It's an easy car to work on so fixing things is pretty easy. Things replaced have been: all struts (only one rear was bad but replaced them all anyway), radiator (the plastic end tank where it meets the metal cooling fins started seeping coolant), starter (would only start intermittently), valve cover gasket (seeping oil, rubber has turned hard). All work was done by me and my Dad and none of it was difficult and parts are cheap and easy to come by. It's a boring car to drive and look at, but its easy to fix and cheap to maintain and should last a long time.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Once upon a time I would have said "no" but lately I might be inclined to say "yes."

The Camry has a reputation for reliability and durability, but it's still just a car. Like all other cars it comes down to how well it was cared for.

Then there's some of the problems that no amount of care can prevent, like the head bolts pulling out of the block in the fifth gen models and the oil consumption of the sixth gen models.

So if your particular 140,000 mile Camry is happy and healthy, I wouldn't think twice about pushing it for as long as possible. I hope to see 200,000 in mine, at least, and I don't have much of a doubt that it'll get there.

Not an issue with 2005-06 model years....

And yes...THIS...

Last edited:
My supposedly unreliable (as a brand) Mazda 3 has almost 120k on the clock and just recently did a roughly 3500 mile round trip without a hick up. It burnt a little bit of M1, which is unusual, but the car had dino for the past ~ 60k miles, so nothing out of ordinary there.

Maintenance is key when used cars are concerned and not the badge on the hood.

My Maxima is at 300,000 miles. Struts, radiator, 1 axle, O2 sensors, motor mounts 3M filled, all DIY. About $100/ year. I would trust it to cross the country and back.

140k in a Camry is just past break in.

I like your plan, and agree with the general advice listed above. Toyota builds good vehicles. Our truck has 127,000 and sees regular towing from me, and the previous owner- it hasn't had an easy life. Yet it runs great and gets me to work everyday. My goal is to shoot for 200,000 with towing included, then reevaluate.

You've been maintaining the vehicle and it sounds like it is an honest, maintained vehicle that likely has quite a few years left in it. Many folks will get bored with a vehicle before it's used up. Maybe you'll hang on to it for a while longer...

In your case, start setting aside $350 or so every month. Make it a "car payment." stick it in a separate account and pay it to yourself every month just as it was a payment. When you finally decide to buy, you will have an excellent down payment (or the full value) and also already be accustomed to making the payment. You will come out so far ahead by avoiding the interest!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

And yes...THIS...

It was a general statement regarding the fact that the Camry is as prone to unavoidable issues as any other car. There's no need to be pedantic.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

And yes...THIS...

It was a general statement regarding the fact that the Camry is as prone to unavoidable issues as any other car. There's no need to be pedantic.

I was responding to your generalization with specifics relating to OP's model year, lest OP got to worrying needlessly...no need to be defensive.

Last edited:

I was responding to your generalization with specifics relating to OP's model year, lest OP got to worrying needlessly...no need to be defensive.

My apologies.

140k miles is alot of miles to me. It will take me 14 years to accumulate that much miles. I drive 10k/yr. It's best to get a low mileage late model used car.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
140k miles is a lot of miles to me. It will take me 14 years to accumulate that much miles. I drive 10k/yr. It's best to get a low mileage late model used car.

...and my logic dictates the opposite...ANY 10 year old car will require monitoring/changing aging parts...miles alone will not degrade a car, (other than tires, and perhaps brakes), so....
10 years is a typical life-span for aging parts in an otherwise good runner...

...again, my logic...if one wants to run a 10k miles/year car past 200k miles the most economically, getting a cheaper, a much cheaper model year with a well-maintain 100k mile history will get to 200k miles in its 2nd ten years...minus the depreciation....

...again, my strategy... with Kitacam bought @ 8yrs old and 97.5k miles....I'll report back when I get to 200k...meanwhile read this space (my sig) for OCI updates along the way....

I regularly get very high miles from my vehicles. However, good maintenance is required. Not simply oil changes and "go on your way".

For example:

Brake fluid and coolant also need replacement. The price of anti-lock brake components can be absurd, so keep in mind that unmaintained, high mileage older vehicles can be expensive on a "cost per mile" basis.

Water pumps are "wear items" too. Plastic radiators have a finite lifespan, as do hoses and belts. Heater cores also leak and fail, air conditioning components here in South Florida make it about 100-120K miles. Your 9 year old brake calipers may or may not be in good shape.

It's entirely possible that you will get to 200,000 miles without any real expenses. However, it's equally likely some of the above issues will "crop up" and drive up the expense of owning an old car.

As always, cost per mile may not be as far off as it first seems, when comparing new vs old. Fuel costs might actually be lower with new, along with the cost of tires/brakes/repairs. Insurance may be similar, and capital costs per mile of new v used must take into account the remaining lifespan of the older vehicle + repairs.

TrueDelta dot com is a great website which will help you determine what to expect with regard to repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back