E46 Battery OEM Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems my parents' 2006 E46 Coupe (last year for the E46 coupe) is in need of a new battery. It still has the factory battery and it has needed a couple jumps now. Are there any good OEM alternatives? I'm all for using OEM parts when it counts, but I feel like this is a case where there could be a good aftermarket solution out there and would like to save them some money if possible. BMW charges an arm and a leg for their batteries.

BMW forums seem to suggest an Autozone 49-DL, but their site lists it as no longer available.

The group 49 size has been renamed the H8 size for whatever reason.

I assume the battery is in the trunk. In that case is get the AAP Autocraft AGM H8 with a coupon.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The group 49 size has been renamed the H8 size for whatever reason.

I assume the battery is in the trunk. In that case is get the AAP Autocraft AGM H8 with a coupon.

+1. Indoor mounted battery, especially on a euro vehicle, go AGM. And AAP store pickup with a discount code is the cheapest way to do it.

Unless Amazon is running a sale. Right now the ACDelco AGM 49 battery is $145.79 and there's a 25% off coupon that you can clip that bring it down to $109.35 and that's free shipping. Says delivery in 1-2 months but it sounds like you might be able to wait and it doesn't require a core so you could probably get a few bucks from a place that will pay for a core. Otherwise AAP I believe is at $139 with their coupon code. Or if you don't care and want to get a flooded battery instead of AGM, get one at Home Depot, I think I saw one there for $119 and you can take 5% off with the homedepot credit card or get one of those 10% off lowes coupons. Would be really amazing if they let you use a harbor freight 25% off coupon.

While I really like the Amazon deal, it sounds like he needs a battery asap if it needs a jump. In that case I would also recommend the Advance auto agm with coupon code.

Also have you tried having your system tested to make sure it's battery? Maybe have an auto parts store fully charge it and see how it goes.

You might benefit from a Noco Genius boost if you don't want to be stranded.

I did charge the battery fully a few days ago and it needed a jump the next day. I also used the BMW cluster voltage check to confirm the alternator was functioning properly.

I ended up going with the H8 AGM battery from Advance Auto. It was slightly longer and heavier than the factory unit, but it fit great and has much higher CCA. The vent tube also fit properly. I used the $50 off coupon so it ended up being right around $140. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

You bought an AGM and it has a vent tube? Are you sure you bought the AGM???

Valve regulated batteries recombine internally and dont need a vent tube...

The receipt says it's the AGM battery and it looks exactly like the AGM pictured online. Maybe they just have a hole there for someplace to stick the tube? I'll have to dig back into the trunk to confirm.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Says delivery in 1-2 months ..

I had mine in 10 days. Different group though

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You bought an AGM and it has a vent tube? Are you sure you bought the AGM???

Valve regulated batteries recombine internally and dont need a vent tube...

Although you are absolutely correct in that AGM batteries recombine internally, each cell still has a pressure relief valve to release gases in the event that a cell becomes overly pressurized. These valves are usually nothing more than glass frits and are not very accurate. So AGM batteries meant for European cars or other applications that call for external venting will come equipped with a vent tube/hole.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Interstate supposedly makes the best car batteries if you can find one for your application.

They absolutely do not make the best car batteries. I have been in the industry for nearly 10 years now, and have seen JCI take over all kinds of operations like Interstate and turn them into just average batteries. Interstate batteries are no different than any other brand that you will find in Walmart or Costco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back