used car shopping, looking for opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: k24a4
I second the opinion to look new, in particular year end models, since the used car market remains inflated. That said, with patience and due diligence, I'm sure there may be exceptions in the current market.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Mazda 3 hatchback
Honda Fit / Civic
Corolla

I agree here that a new Mazda3 hatch would be a good option. Fun to drive with utility plus great gas mileage.

I'll proffer an outlier here, what about a used Honda TSX from model year 2004-2008? A proven performer with luxury accommodations and a bulletproof drivetrain, not to mention classic styling.

Keep us updated and good luck!

Thanks I'll check into the 3 hatch.

Shop around and get the most bang for your buck on a new car. Why not eh ? You asked us and we gave you an opinion okay.

Cheers ,
10.gif

B

Note: Cost per mile often does not vary much when used vs new is accurately factored in.

Obviously, we'd all love a 4 year old car, with 15,000 miles on it, for $2000. When you give up trying to find that deal, understand that "cost per mile" is what really matters.

I use 150,000 miles as a practical maximum lifespan. Adjusted for the type of car. Possibly an Accord/Camry will go 180K, and a Kia will go 120K, for arguments sake. BITOG members get more miles, sometimes.

With that in mind, a used Accord, for $12K and 65,000 miles on it is no bargain compared to a New Accord Sport for $22K. The cost per mile is not significantly different, when finance, insurance, MPG, tires/brakes repairs are properly factored in. In fact, the real world cost per mile may be worse with the older car.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Note: Cost per mile often does not vary much when used vs new is accurately factored in.

Obviously, we'd all love a 4 year old car, with 15,000 miles on it, for $2000. When you give up trying to find that deal, understand that "cost per mile" is what really matters.

I use 150,000 miles as a practical maximum lifespan. Adjusted for the type of car. Possibly an Accord/Camry will go 180K, and a Kia will go 120K, for arguments sake. BITOG members get more miles, sometimes.

With that in mind, a used Accord, for $12K and 65,000 miles on it is no bargain compared to a New Accord Sport for $22K. The cost per mile is not significantly different, when finance, insurance, MPG, tires/brakes repairs are properly factored in. In fact, the real world cost per mile may be worse with the older car.

I think some adjustment has to be made for anual miles driven. And road conditions, and amount of salt on the roads.

But given your climate I'm shocked at such a low expected car life!

2 and 3-year old cars are the least cost effective buys...too close to new $$$....either 1-yr old end of model run (vs new redesign) or 6 or 7-yr old with 60k miles or so is a better alternative...

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Cujet

I think some adjustment has to be made for anual miles driven. And road conditions, and amount of salt on the roads.

But given your climate I'm shocked at such a low expected car life!

My Accord is purring along at 141,000 with nary a hiccup. It has only needed basic maintenance. I think 150k and 180k are low estimates. I would say 200k easy with routine maintenance. A Bitoger? 300k and beyond...

I would avoid the ridgeline. I bought a 2008 last year for a quick flip as there arent many ridgelines in my area. The cloth seats should require a class action lawsuit... you cannot get them clean and any thing that gets on them looks like a crime scene. The transmission is a weak spot, the timing belt job is complicated and expensive the rear brakes are also a weak spot. The interior is pretty cheap also. Special fluids for front and rear diff, special antifreeze..etc etc. They are fun to drive but in the end i think more expensive to own/keep..

A point to consider if you are buying an 'economy' car such as corolla, civic etc...is that you want to keep it economical. For this point i would avoid timing belt cars. You say you are wanting to keep for 300K miles.. so factor in 4 timing belt changes. Unless you or a friend are doing the job, this can add 2 to 3K on the ownership cost of the car. I think corolla gets the win with a timing chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back