Inaccurate dipstick or is my owner's manual wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this earlier on a Toyota forum, but I feel a need to reach out to the oil experts. I recently changed my own oil for the first time in my 09 Tacoma V6 and I added exactly 5.5 quarts (Mobil 1 with new Mobil 1 filter) and I even let the old oil drain out for 3 hours. After sitting overnight, the oil level on my dipstick shows about 1/4" (or less) above the full dot. Do you put in the recommended amount of oil and call the dipstick a rough measuring tool? Does going over the full dot freak anyone out? I've heard that i should just put 5.5 in and forget it, and I've also heard that I should only put enough in to hit the full line to accommodate for any "trapped" oil. I know I did what the manual said, but the dipstick does bother an OCD person like me. Should I go with it, or crack the plug and drop a 1/4 of a quart out to be safe? Any advice is appreciated.

You are good to go. Every car is different, and lots of factors are involved with this. You may not have let it drain long enough or you weren't on a perfectly level surface when draining the oil. No harm done, many here overfill by .5 qt anyways. I have too.

You're missing one bit of information. Did you start the car afterwards? If you just changed the oil, there might not be any in the filter til you start it up so you might be fine. If you did start it up, a slight amount over the full mark typically isn't something to worry about.

Next time let drain for 5-10min, add 5qt, start car drive off ramps etc. park level.. top up. with additional aprox .5qt to full mark.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No way I'd drain that extra off. Just leave it be.

+1

My 2008 Tacoma is a 2.7L, but I have the same problem. My owners manual calls for 6.1 U.S. quarts with filter change. But 5.4 quarts (w/new filter) is right on the full mark on the 2.7's dipstick...so I use 5.4 quarts. It never uses any oil between changes, so even if the manual is correct, I'm less than 3/4ths of a quart low. I'd rather be 3/4 quart low than 3/4 quart over full. If you're just 1/4 quart over full on your V6, you're likely okay, particularly on one oil drain. I wouldn't drain any out. Next change you might just want to pour in 5.25 quarts. That way you'd be either right on the money, assuming the dipstick's right, or you'd consistently be 1/4 quart low, assuming the manual is correct...and 1/4 quart under full is certainly not going to be harmful to that 4.0L.

My 2008 Tacoma V6 took 5.5 quarts without a problem. Drive it and let it sit overnight on a flat surface before measuring again.

FWIW, I used the oversized filters on mine, which allowed more oil yet. The part numbers are:

Wix 51516
P1 PL20195
FU XG3600

Originally Posted By: Idlewild294
the oil level on my dipstick shows about 1/4" (or less) above the full dot.

Kitacamry gets 1/8" over F after adding 4.1qt as directed....1/4" is just fine...you can get a good night's sleep now.

Thanks for the replies. I have driven it about 65 miles since the oil change so I feel pretty confident in the current level. I figure next time I'll add 5.25 quarts just to see if that will get it on the full level.

I changed the oil early because the oil level on the dipstick showed between full and add. I really hope the dealership that I bought my pickup from screwed up the amount of oil it added. I'd like to think it was a human error vs a Toyota losing oil at 65,000 miles.

I always go by the dipstick. A little over is not a problem. I purposely overfill my mother in laws Toyota .5 quarts because it burns a little oil and I don't want it to get too low before I check it again. Never a problem.

Dip sticks can vary greatly. I have a friend who had a 2001 F-150 w/4.6 and I have a 2002 F-150 w/4.6. His dipstick read slightly over the FILL line after a 6 quart oil and filter change. Mine reads spot on at FULL for the same 6 quart and filter oil change. Both trucks were bought new. Use the correct amount of oil specified and where ever it falls on the dip stick that's your "full" mark. Unfortunately his began to leak with the bad head gasket design. Mine hasn't and it uses no oil in even ~9,000 mile OCI's.

Whimsey

You could easily get different results with a new dipstick.

That being said, my WRX has the most difficult dipstick to read I've ever seen. There's no clear line where the oil ends. There just seems to be a lighter smudge where I'm guessing it's marking the level.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
You could easily get different results with a new dipstick.

That being said, my WRX has the most difficult dipstick to read I've ever seen. There's no clear line where the oil ends. There just seems to be a lighter smudge where I'm guessing it's marking the level.

On my Impreza, someone once told me to remove the dipstick, then remove the o-ring on dipstick, wait 10 minutes, then check... without o-ring on... seems to work MUCH better that way...! But, yes, worst dipstick ever. My Honda has a textured metal end that holds oil nicely... 10x better than the Subaru...!

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
My 2008 Tacoma is a 2.7L, but I have the same problem. My owners manual calls for 6.1 U.S. quarts with filter change. But 5.4 quarts (w/new filter) is right on the full mark on the 2.7's dipstick...so I use 5.4 quarts. It never uses any oil between changes, so even if the manual is correct, I'm less than 3/4ths of a quart low. I'd rather be 3/4 quart low than 3/4 quart over full. If you're just 1/4 quart over full on your V6, you're likely okay, particularly on one oil drain. I wouldn't drain any out. Next change you might just want to pour in 5.25 quarts. That way you'd be either right on the money, assuming the dipstick's right, or you'd consistently be 1/4 quart low, assuming the manual is correct...and 1/4 quart under full is certainly not going to be harmful to that 4.0L.

I have the same engine, same problem. I go by the spec, rather than the dipstick, though. I stop at 6, though, and don't worry about the .1

I bet your manual tells you to check your oil 5 min after a shut down...not overnight.

We used to check oil ( or the station attendant did ) at a fueling stop...still a recommended practice even though Gas Jockeys have disappeared in most States.

My truck takes 6qts and on the dipstick that is halfway between the add mark and full
Just put in the correct amount and remember where it is on the dipstick

I rarely have seen an accurate dipstick. I put in what is required and scribe a mark on the dipstick showig full. I do this after checking it cold the next day.

Originally Posted By: Idlewild294
... but the dipstick does bother an OCD person like me...

Nah, if you were truly OCD, you would've completed another OC, with a brand new filter to boot, by now and be on your way to the recyclers to dump the "old" oil. lol

On a more serious note, my cars are the same. If I use the amount of oil listed in the manual, I will be overfilled, so I just go by the dipstick. It makes it much easier to monitor the oil level when you start from the full mark.

When I was single (more free time on my hands and infinitely less responsibility) I used to measure out the exact amounts and be OCD about these things, but now I'm all about keeping it simple. I round off the oil amounts to the nearest quart and if that gets me near the full mark or a bit over, I'm happy. I got better things to do than agonize about 0.5 of a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back