Mazda Skyactiv Automatic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
From reading the '12 owner's manual, I get the understanding that the Skyactiv 6 speed automatic transaxle is a sealed for life unit. The only maintenance instructions are for toppng up if the ATF fluid level falls below the range on the dipstick. The book calls for Mazda Genuine ATF FZ fluid. Is that a synthetic? Does anyone know what it equates to in AmZoil or Mobil1, or others?

No cross yet that I know of. The FZ fluid is blue and our techs that went to SkyActiv school were told my Mazda corporate if anything but blue fluid is in there to call it in to the mother ship.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not sure why anyone would buy a Mazda with an automatic anyway...

Not sure why I'm responding to this, but here goes:
1. We are retired and don't drive at 8/10 anymore.
2. My wife will be the principle driver of this car and she doesn't want a manual.
3. The automatic in our '03 P5 works very well, even when I manually shift it. I've tweaked it so it shifts better than original.
4. The Skyactiv 6 speed seems to work even better than our ten year old automatic.

To the other respnoders: Thanks for the information. That helps a bunch with the decision process.

Last edited:
When I talked to a Mazda tech at the Fort Myers Mazda dealer he told me that they will check the AT fluid condion at ~ 100K miles and change it if needed. That said, it must not be sealed and have orfaces to empty & refill. TADA.. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
When I talked to a Mazda tech at the Fort Myers Mazda dealer he told me that they will check the AT fluid condion at ~ 100K miles and change it if needed. That said, it must not be sealed and have orfaces to empty & refill. TADA.. Ed

Most transaxle flushes and refiles are done via the connections with the oil cooler. That way, the torque converter gets flushed and refilled too. If you just drain the transmission through a drain plug or the valve body pan, the old fluid stays in the torque converter and the cooler. If they are checking it at 100K, it's likely by color checking the fluid and I'd say that the transaxle is indeed intended to be run for life with no service.

Ford had a few "100k" trans service intervals with their 100% syn trans fluids. That never stopped me from cleaning the magnet and having a look at 50K miles.

Truthfully, 100K miles is likely plausible for a 100% Synthetic trans fluid.

"Life" is such a relative term... I know some folks that won't keep a car past 55k miles, and some that drive until the wheels fall off.

The "lubed for life" ball joints haven't live up to the claim..

Amsoil is 100K for normal service on their ATF and 50K severe.

I would feel better if they had a real media based filter to catch the crud so it does not need to float around for 100K miles.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would feel better if they had a real media based filter to catch the crud so it does not need to float around for 100K miles.

Agree. My '92 Saturn SC automatic had a spin on filter on the transaxle. I thought it was a great feature. I kept it filled with Mobil1 ATF and a fresh filter every 60K miles. My Brother-In-Law is still driving it as his go to work car. It will still spin the wheels on the 1-2 shift.

Last edited:
The reference guides state that a drain and refill can take between 3.7 to 5 qt.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-...uid-change.html

There is a dipstick, but it must be accessed by removing the intake.

You just need to use the dealer fluid and make sure the transmission is at least warm (122F +) before checking the fluid level.

From Bulletin No: 05-003/13

Quote:

BULLETIN NOTE
• This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 05-007/11 issued on 09/21/11. The APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/ VINS have been revised.
• Changes are noted below in Red beside the change bar.
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2012-2013 Mazda3 2013-2014 CX-5 2014 Mazda6
DESCRIPTION
The new SKYACTIV-DRIVE FW6A-EL AT uses “Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Type: FZ”. Only use “ATF-FZ” to fill or top off the fluid level. ATF-FZ is specially designed for use in the SKYACTIV-DRIVE series AT. It is a low viscosity formula with less friction for better fuel economy.
NOTE: ATF-FZ is colored blue for easy identification.
To check the fluid level, remove the bolt, then remove the dipstick. The dipstick is marked with a “FZ” on SKY-
ACTIV-DRIVE FW6A-EL AT. When finished, insert the dipstick and install the bolt.
Tightening torque: 8-10 N·m (82-101 kgf·cm, 71-88 in·lbf)

The fluid level should be between the “L” and the “F” when the ATF is warm (at least 50 °C (122 °F)).

SKYACTIV-DRIVE FW6A-EL AT with “ATF-FZ” is "filled for life" (no change intervals for ATF required) and flushing is not recommended as part of service maintenance. There are no oil cooler lines and the replacement SKYACTIV-DRIVE FW6A-EL AT will come with a new oil cooler, which is mounted directly to the case. If repair or AT replacement is necessary, use only “ATF-FZ” to fill the AT.
CAUTION:
• ATF-FZ is designed ONLY FOR SKYACTIV-DRIVE series AT.
• If an ATF other than “ATF-FZ” is used in the SKYACTIV-DRIVE AT, the performance and reli- ability cannot be guaranteed. The resulting damage will not be covered by warranty.
• Use of ATF-FZ in non SKYACTIV-DRIVE ATs may result in serious internal damage that will not be covered by warranty

Last edited:
I found a four-pack of the ATF-FZ on eBay for $45 shipped. Posts on a few Mazda forums have suggested that a drain/refill will take about 3.5 quarts. The official literature says 3.7-5.1 quarts.

I will find out soon as the Skyactiv that I service is nearing 30k - which is usually when I do a transmission service.

Here are the instructions:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-...html#post322705

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back