Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 vs 75w110

Status
Not open for further replies.
At stock power levels, or unless there was a rash of failures or known weak diff issues, no need to go thicker.

30k intervals isn't excessive but not always needed.

In our service vans the Dana rear is extremely durable. One of the few areas where we never do repairs, even at 9200 pounds every single day and extremely high miles.

Just like a trans. Change it early. Maybe even again. But once you have the initial debris load out of the pumpkin there is no sense to changing it so often.

Our regimen is before 50k miles, again before 100k miles, then every 100k miles thereafter until we sell it...

As a side note regarding 75w90. Considering that it is the primary synthetic spec'd for heavy commercial truck differentials that regularly are having to move around 80,000 lb gross weights, from Canada to Mexico, in and out of mountains, and the OEM will extend the warranties from 500,000 miles to 750,000 miles if it is used, and they recommend 500,000 mile drains on the stuff, it is hard to imagine it wouldn't be a good choice for most folk's diffs. I use the severe gear 75w90 in Jeeps and pickups all the time. Off road, towing, everything. I have never had a differential related problem in my commercial trucks or smaller vehicles. And I have taken 2 of the commercial trucks to over 1 million miles and my present one to 322,000 miles. All my commercial vehicles came factory filled with Mobil 1 75w90, same stuff everyone can get at any auto parts store. Nothing special.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
As a side note regarding 75w90. Considering that it is the primary synthetic spec'd for heavy commercial truck differentials that regularly are having to move around 80,000 lb gross weights, from Canada to Mexico, in and out of mountains, and the OEM will extend the warranties from 500,000 miles to 750,000 miles if it is used, and they recommend 500,000 mile drains on the stuff, it is hard to imagine it wouldn't be a good choice for most folk's diffs. I use the severe gear 75w90 in Jeeps and pickups all the time. Off road, towing, everything. I have never had a differential related problem in my commercial trucks or smaller vehicles. And I have taken 2 of the commercial trucks to over 1 million miles and my present one to 322,000 miles. All my commercial vehicles came factory filled with Mobil 1 75w90, same stuff everyone can get at any auto parts store. Nothing special.

I ran the 75W-90 Amsoil quite happily for many years, and still do in onroad vehicles.
Most commercial trucks run much larger diff capacities than LD vehicles, contributing to lower temperatures.
The Amsoil 75w-110 is closer in weight to the 75w-90 specified for old Dana axles, and I found it got rid of some very slight gear whine I had while loading the diffs hard offroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back