Does Toyota recommend fuel additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure many automakers recommend additive but a couple do. Techron or Gumout are top choices. If you get Gumout you want either all in one big bottle or something that says Regane or Regane high mileage. Plenty of choices too. Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, 3M, CRC all make good cleaners.

Ones to avoid would be Lucas or STP which do not use PEA to my knowledge.

I was looking at those and Chevron. Going on a trip this weekend so I thought I would clean out the carbon.

In 2004 Toyota was one of my car makers that set a standard for "top tier" gasoline. It has a good amount of additives. I'm assuming they would want you to use it.

link: http://www.toptiergas.com/

"Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Seven of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid. "

Last edited:
I use Quik Trip gas it is on the Top Tier list. Now I also use Hyvee gas but I do not know supplies their gas.

Chrysler as far back as 1981 was poo pooing heavy use of gas additives.In in so many words it was "Indescriminate use of fuel system additives/cleaners is not recommended." They also frowned upon Gasohol,of course nowadays you don't have a choice.

Once a year I use a bottle of techron. No difference.

Never had a gas related problem, I mostly use top tier costco gas from a brand new station.

Only thing that seemed to provide much of a difference for me is CRC emissions formula. 8.87$ at walmart. I just put some in my tank and it seems smoother. I have used Gumout but didnt notice any difference at all. Could be in my head but I would go with the CRC stuff as you know its 30% PEA..I dont think gumout says how much PEA is in it..run a bottle for kicks but your car has low mileage so not sure it will do much.

Are you talking about CRC GTP (Guaranteed To Pass) formula? I have never tried that one. I have good luck with Techron/Gumout Regane/3M on different cars at different times BUT not EVERY time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back