Virgin AC Delco PF63E & PF63 Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fellow member (GM4LIFE) sent these to me to cut open for him for research purposes, last night I opened them up. Everything on the external dimensions are pretty much identical (OAL is only .020 difference). And here are some pics below of the differences, enjoy! Please thank GM4LIFE for the filters that were sacrificed. Next up will be the PF48's.

Thank you DirtyMoe21 for cutting these filters open so we can see the real difference between the old and new filter design. From what I can see the old PF63 seems to be better constructed with metal end caps. I don't see how AC Delco and GM are able to state that the new PF63E filter will offer better flow and better performance over the PF63. It's a good thing I just bought 12 PF63 filters. That should last me years!

Thanks again DirtyMoe21 for your hard work on taking the pics.

I am curious to see the difference between the PF48 and PF48E filters as the new PF48E filter is definitely smaller. Just don't see how they can say the new filters are better performing over the older style.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
I use the pf48 in my truck, will like to see those too.. Thank You.

I sent DirtyMoe21 the PF48 and PF48E filters as well. He will post the same side by side comparisons for us to see.

I would recommend going to the PF63 filters over the PF48 filters anyway as they are cheaper filters and offer more filtering media. The PF48 and PF63 filters are identical internally and have the same pressure specs. The only difference is it's physical size. I ordered 12 PF63 filters from rockauto.com for dirt cheap. I would recommend going that route. Forget the PF48 series altogether. Pointless small filter and I don't see why GM would use that small of an oil filter in the first place.

As speculated on the recent PF 48 redesign thread, with use of the word "poppet" in it's description, the new ACD ecore is using a separate metal coil spring bypass, not a combo valve found in the majority of other ecores. Newer GM vehicles are now using a filter integral bypass so they must have decided a combo valve was a no go for the new ACD ecores. Think one could infer what ACD/GM thinks of the less expensive combo valve design. Like to see a close up of the ecore dome bypass.

That said, I still prefer the classic construction. Just me.

Thanks for the pics

AC Delco Classic or WIX for me! I don't think they make a PF64E so I am safe for now.

Maybe A_Harman can chime in with firsthand knowledge on why GM/ACD decided to change their filters.

Actually, I'm finding this thread to be pretty interesting. I haven't had any contact with AC Delco in the normal course of business.

Ecore designs have been out for some time now. I know that I too prefer an inner metal cage, but do we have any data that substantiates our concerns?

The plastic cage in this AC Delco looks well designed. The openings are pretty small to prevent any media stress due to delta-p, and the cage structure looks beefy. Early ecores has some issues with big open windows and flimsy cage structure. Seems as time goes on, the designers are figuring it out. Is still prefer a metal center tube though.

I have an e-core on my DD '92 Saturn right now (3614) for it's 6 month OCI. The odometer died years years ago, but I estimate only 2000 miles per OCI. I ain't worried.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
AC Delco Classic or WIX for me! I don't think they make a PF64E so I am safe for now.

I just got some PF454's (not PF454E) that are labelled "Professional" off the internet and they are e-cores so it doesn't appear as though all e-cores carry the 'E' moniker. May be why they were so cheap. Probably wouldn't have bought them if I had seen what they were but nonetheless, the plastic cage does not have big gaps between each ring like others I have seen so hopefully they are an improved version, not that there was any evidence that they needed to be improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back