5w20 instead of 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as how I can stock up on MC 5w20 for just under $20 a change, would it be okay to use 5w20 over 0w20 in a '14 crv? Thoughts and opinions welcome including any benefit to using 5 over 0.

Check your owners manual. If it says you can use 5w20 then its fine. If it only says to use 0w20, then I would use 0w20.

I buy 0W20 Mobil 1 extended service from WalMart for a little over $27. Honda is specific in specifying 0W20. You also get better milage with 0W20 and this is the real reason for Honda building an engine that can use it.

I got all you thin people beat. I just now filled my crankcase up with Wahl clipper oil.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I got all you thin people beat. I just now filled my crankcase up with Wahl clipper oil.
grin2.gif

I've got a gallon of 85w-140 so ...

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Not worth it. A 5 quart jug of 0w20 full synthetic is only ~$25 in the USA, is saving $5 a change worth it??

Another way to look at it is, if your warranty permits 5w20 and you can save money by using a fine, proven product like MC, why not? I would see no problem with it.

Honda specifies 0w-20. You are under warranty. Why not wait until your warranty is up before you switch? You only save about $5 per jug for M1 or PP 0w-20 vs MC 5-20 Semi-syn, at least at wal-mart. With coupons, pricing can be identical. While Honda is unlikely to invalidate your warranty based on oil change, it is a risk I wouldn't take to save $5 a year.

If you live in a warm climate 0w-20 vs 5w-20 will function identically. In a very cold area like Minnesota, Ottawa or Maine, you may see some benefit to 0w-20 in the winter (faster starts, quieter engine, less wear). 0w-20's are usually full synthetic oils, so you may see very slightly lower deposits, oxidation, sludging etc. vs the MC Semi-Syn. Depending on your driving conditions, the MM can go 11-12K before reaching 0%. At that mileage, I would be more comfortable with a full synthetic like M1 EP 0w-20, along with a high-end synthetic media filter.

If you are leasing, just get the cheapest oil that meets the specs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
grin2.gif

And this is almost same viscosity as 10W40. So you missed this time ;-)

Originally Posted By: timeau
Originally Posted By: Miller88
grin2.gif

And this is almost same viscosity as 10W40. So you missed this time ;-)

huh?

lawman, if your using the MM built in the CRV to change your oil then use 0w20, it will be worth it since Honda specifically specced it.

If your doing oil changes every 5k (waste of resources!) then using MC 5w20 would make more sense but I wouldn't advice that until your warranty runs out.

grin2.gif

You can only be a non believer in thin oils because you're in cali!! Try running a thick oil when its -30 celsius.

Warranty aside, using 5w rather than 0w IMO safely will be temperature dependent. If it doesn't get cold where you are, no worries.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere recently that Honda said it was OK to use 5w-20 in cars that require 0w-20, it just wasn't preferred?

I'd use 0w20 if temps were consistently low during the winter.
In Florida, California etc...I wouldn't have a problem running the 5w20.

FWIW, I have a 2008 CR-V and it calls for 5w-20. I ran 5w-20 M1 EP in our CR-V almost exclusively since new. No problems as of yet. Not sure what differences there are between an 08 model and a 14 model but I doubt there is much change engine wise.

Having said that, the last couple oil changes I switched to a 0w-20 oil....either Castrol Edge or PP. I think the 0w oils are a better oil anyway...generally speaking. Our winters are pretty mild here in VA and I can't tell any difference in how the engine starts or runs on cold mornings between the 0W-20 and the 5W-20. However, I'm sure the 0W grade oil does flow a little quicker.

The thing you have to worry about is your warranty. If you do have an oil related problem what will Honda do?

NO worries unless you are pushing the oil in extremely frigid temps with no garage or block heater. A 5w20 might well be a superior lube other wise: possibly lower NOACK, less varnish generating vii adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back