Change Oil In Fall or Spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The age old question. If you look at all the oil used in all the different bikes, around the world, you would be hard pressed to point your finger at any one and say it's bad. For everyone that says to do it one way, there will be someone that says do it the other. In the end you will see if you look hard, it doesn't matter. There was a guy here who bought a bike that sat for 13 years. Just for the fun of it he sent a sample of the oil in for testing. The results came back saying except for a higher level of moisture, the oil was good to be used. My point is don't obsess over if your doing it right because when you check the volume of people that do it there way, you'll see it doesn't make much if any difference.,,

My Harley owners manual states, if storing motorcycle for the winter, change the oil before storing.

It also says 'when Harley oil isn't available, use a 15w40 diesel oil'. My Kohler engined mower manual says to use genuine Kohler engine oil and my wifes Toyota manual says to use genuine Toyota engine oil. If you owned a vehicle manufacturing company...which oil would you encourage your customers to buy? Hmmm...!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
It also says 'when Harley oil isn't available, use a 15w40 diesel oil'. My Kohler engined mower manual says to use genuine Kohler engine oil and my wifes Toyota manual says to use genuine Toyota engine oil. If you owned a vehicle manufacturing company...which oil would you encourage your customers to buy? Hmmm...!
Just because they say to use their oil, doesn't make it the best choice. If you check out the VOA'S here, you can easily find oils that exceed what the mfgrs "Recommend". Remember Harley or any of the brands you mentioned don't MAKE their own oil. It's contracted to the lowest bidder.And being there's no approved spec for motorcycle oil, you can pretty much use anything you want without affecting your warranty. So knowing that's the case, which oil would you recommend to your customers? Hmmm.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back