How is the AAP Autocraft Platinum AGM battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a good battery?

The 24F Platinum I would need is about $135 with coupon codes, which seems like a great price for an AGM. It is advertised as having 710 CCA.

Unlike their standard JC-made batteries, the AGM Platinum is made by Enersys and is probably identical to Sears' DieHard Platinum. (they look exactly alike aside from the stickers)

My current Interstate I-24F has been in my car for at least 4 years, and is starting to look bad (has some powdery stuff in the middle, near the tie-down handle, and also a bit around the seam. Otherwise, it seems to work just fine.

Is this new? I probably would have gotten one with my last couple of battery purchased there, instead I got Autocraft gold.

Ive had a diehard platinum in another vehicle for several years. I got it replaced under warranty once just because I paid $250 installed, but its been flawless. Just too pricey though.

I got one last year. So far, I am really pleased with it. It isn't uncommon for me to leave my truck sitting for a couple weeks while I am traveling - batteries don't normally last long for me.

AGM batteries need special chargers.

As good as most any other agm battery. Any decent charger should have agm settings if it's newer. Your alternator can handle agm just fine as long as it's operating normally. They don't want to be recharged above 14.4v (14.1-14.4v range)

Some cars have adjustments for the alternator if you want to optimize it.

Thanks for the feedback so far! I will get one of these when I have the money.

Do you know any good AGM-friendly jump starters? I do like to keep a jump box in my car.

AFAIK they only make them in limited sizes,

group size h6 h7 h8 65 34 24f and 78

also the rating on the sears diehard platinum is much higher than the limited platinum agm batteries at aap.

example the group 65 AAP platinum is 750cca

the diehard platinum group 65 is 930cca

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Thanks for the feedback so far! I will get one of these when I have the money.

Do you know any good AGM-friendly jump starters? I do like to keep a jump box in my car.

You asked just the right person, i have been eyeing this toy for a few weeks now and nothing but good reviews... Thinking about getting one soon.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._st#Post3504221

http://www.geniuschargers.com/boost/

Also their chargers are top notch for AGM, but if you get one i wouldn't go less than the G7200, which has a power supply function that is quite useful.

Just FYI if anyone needs a battery

the diehard platinums are 15% off

and if you have a sywr account(free)
there is an additional 10% off automotive

makes it 166$ for a group 35
with 850CCA it weighs 50lb vs 36 for diehard gold

so its got some beef in there.

Last edited:
Sorry for resurrecting this, but I am looking at the Autocraft H6-AGM and the SDS indicates it's made by Johnson Controls. Many of the specs match the limited info available for Motorcraft's BAGM-48H6-760. It's mentioned above the AAP's AGM batteries are made by Enersys but this likely varies based on the size, yes ?

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Sorry for resurrecting this, but I am looking at the Autocraft H6-AGM and the SDS indicates it's made by Johnson Controls. Many of the specs match the limited info available for Motorcraft's BAGM-48H6-760. It's mentioned above the AAP's AGM batteries are made by Enersys but this likely varies based on the size, yes ?

This is a 3yo thread. AAP/Carquest may have changed suppliers since then
smile.gif

I was asking to know what is a good indicator of the actual manufacturer. Is it the SDS ? If you look up the SDS based on the part # (H6-AGM), you get no results, which makes sense because they likely keep that part # no matter who makes it. I would hope the SKU number changes and that's what I used to get the SDS. The SKU better be unique based on the manufacturer as they'd use it for tracking, warranty, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back