Sister's 2011 VW Jetta = Wrecked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Sad when that little amount of damage totals a newer car.Makes one want to keep buying old potentially disposable cars,because in the end,a crash would still mean "totaled" but for far less bucks.

+1

Its just smarter to buy older models. Sure a new car is a nice luxury but like you said totaled is totaled. You can buy an american made car 98-02 with under 100k miles for 3k fairly easy. Might take some time and searching around but they are out there.

They don't have the status symbol of new cars but most cars under 100k miles will be just as reliable.

Iv always bought cars 80k-120k miles. You save a small fortune and the money you save could easily go to a repair if it happens to break down. The simply fact of not having to pay for full coverage is well worth it to me.

We have 3 cars on our policy and it runs me $240 for all every 3 months which isn't bad $80 every 3 months per car.

Last edited:
That loss leader Jetta is strange...very strange! Even on pickups you haven't been able to delete A/C or radio for years now.

I can kind of see deleting the radio, as long as there is still a pigtail to plug into behind that plate, but A/C is hard to retrofit and a must have for most people in most parts of the country.

Cool, but not, at the same time. Base model = cool, no A/C = no.

A base model would be a great option over here in western Washington, it never really gets hot enough to need A/C and you can put in whatever stereo you want...hmm lol

That car is in WA, maybe the weather there makes not having A/C livable. Avg summer highs are in the 70s.

It it were in the south, they'd practically have to give it away.

She's getting $12k and it was totaled?!?

That doesn't look like that much damage, though I guess airbags and whatnot cause it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That doesn't look like that much damage, though I guess airbags and whatnot cause it.

The bags, plus it looks like a lot of underhood damage which adds up quick. And I bet that hood is aluminum.

Yeah. I was a bit surprised too. But up close you see a lot of underhood damage like stated before. She hit a jeep grand Cherokee. Kind of wedged under the thing. The jeep looked pretty good when I showed up at the scene.

Yeah, that looks like a total loss.
It will take a lot of fixing to make it right and the airbags aren't cheap.
This will either be a project car for a body shop or a good parts car for a yard.
It'll sell for more than you'd think at auction.

Me too. AC is way more important than power windows or radio.

$14.5k for a VW that can likely get upgraded suspension parts as they wear out? Saving what $10k over the TDi model? Seems like a nice choice if one wants more than a Corolla.

The 2.slow dates back to the Stone Age, parts should be cheap.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
A base model would be a great option over here in western Washington, it never really gets hot enough to need A/C and you can put in whatever stereo you want...hmm lol

We have lived without ac in the Tracker since new, there's been the odd day I've regretted it, but most of the time it's been fine, adding AC would've added nearly 20% to the purchase price and we were young and skinny at the time. Going to work it's always cool enough atleast.
The ford with AC is the summer family car, and the Tracker with 4wd becomes the family car in winter. Works fine for us.

I'm happy there wasn't a motorcylist in front of her while she was adjusting her GPS, or using her cellphone, or whatever she was doing.

with smartphones/gps, the price of car insurance keeps going up and up.
15.gif

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
I'm happy there wasn't a motorcylist in front of her while she was adjusting her GPS, or using her cellphone, or whatever she was doing.

Me too

#1 reason keeping me as a "cager" vs. enjoying my motorcycle license

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The manifold looks damaged beyond the 15+ airbags that likely fired off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back