Spark Plug Recommendations - 3.0L Fusion/Milan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going on memory, mine were about the same gap, up the the OEM spec of .044. That's exactly the reason I used the NGK Lasers--in my experience they seem to stay close to the original gap for a long time, and I'd rather not do this job more frequently than every 100K. Besides that though, the plugs look good, just worn. With an inline 4 I'd probably re-gap them and put them back in...but I'm cheap like that...

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
what is the pink stuff on the tips?

Mine had that, too (pink paint). I was guessing they did that so they could tell if they had been changed or not if you have your car in for warranty? total guess on my part.

Manual specs .052-.056 for the plugs in this engine. New plugs came gapped at .054 (I double checked them).

No clue what the pink paint on them is for.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: badger05

The plugs definitely took some torque to remove and some were more corroded in than others. I'm glad I replaced them and used a dab of antiseize when installing the new ones. Gaps on old plugs were .060-.065 inches. Comments?

Smart move using the anti-seize. Gaps open up with wear many times. I have a lousy monitor on this machine, but there are pictures you can use to compare your plugs to. It will give you an idea what if anything is going on with your engine.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
what is the pink stuff on the tips?

Mine had that, too (pink paint). I was guessing they did that so they could tell if they had been changed or not if you have your car in for warranty? total guess on my part.

It was orange on the Mazda.
21.gif

considering xp103 or app103. '10 fusion 3.0. every where i read states the app103s are recommended for DIS. are xp's from autolite just smoke? thoughts?

Transverse V6's are impossible to work on for getting to the back of the engine. Therefore, you may want to consider iridium spark plugs which last longer.

My recommendation would be NGK Laser Iridium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back