VW OIL Conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: redbone3
Originally Posted By: volodymyr
redbone3,

Perhaps you would like to go that site and explain why whenever an oil becomes available at regular car parts stores, it suddenly is no longer on your list?

Sincerely,

Knowing how support system works, this particular sentence may render the whole conversation as non-serious.

I assume the oil you are trying to buy is marketed in europe as Castrol
EDGE Titanium FST 0W-40 and is ACEA A3 driven. The whole spec is

SAE 0W-40
ACEA A3/B3 A3/B4
API SN/CF
VW 502 00 / 505 00
BMW Longlife-01
MB-Freigabe 229.3 / 229.5
Porsche A40
Meets Ford WSS-M2C937-A

Now, if I look this oil in Castrol Switzerland site, it actually recomends Edge 5W-30 for our market: http://ew5.earlweb.com/recommendations.p...=8&brand=12 (I was not sure exactly which engine your car has, so I choose Passat 1.8 TSI Variant DSG (CDAA - 118kW QG1).

I know a buddy of mine who has a diesel VM Passat (I think from 2013) and the last time I checked, the dealship is using 5W-30 in his car too ...

We are quite close to Germany, so I would assume the same specs there too.

And your point is? I have no idea what you are talking about.

My point is that it appears VW is engaged in "restraint of trade" which is not legal in the US.
Reno, Nv is a pretty good sized city and we have a lot of car parts stores. Of all the oils that were on the list that VW sent me, one part store claims to have one of them.

My point is that VW thinks that 5W-30 is the way to go so from their point of view 0W-x is a violation of warranty.

In fact, the situation you are describing can be applied to any official car manufacture in any country. It does not matter if you are in US, Switzerland or somewhere in Siberia (Russia). As long as you attempt to use your own oil in a car which has official warranty the dealership will be unhappy.

In Switzerland this would definitely be a no-go and I doubt you will be able to proof anything in court.

P.S. I asked the question to official dealership of VW in Switzerland (AMAG) and this was not possible a year ago.

Last edited:
The US manual states you can use any weight suitable for your climate and driving habits as long as it meets the 502.00 spec.

The Audi web site (Audi has the same motor) specifically states you can use 0-40.

VW needs to get their ducks in line.

No, they think the specification for your engine is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
My point is that VW thinks that 5W-30 is the way to go so from their point of view 0W-x is a violation of warranty.

In fact, the situation you are describing can be applied to any official car manufacture in any country. It does not matter if you are in US, Switzerland or somewhere in Siberia (Russia). As long as you attempt to use your own oil in a car which has official warranty the dealership will be unhappy.

In Switzerland this would definitely be a no-go and I doubt you will be able to proof anything in court.

P.S. I asked the question to official dealership of VW in Switzerland (AMAG) and this was not possible a year ago.

The US manual states you can use any weight suitable for your climate and driving habits as long as it meets the 502.00 spec.

Then why are you bothering with this exercise?

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Then why are you bothering with this exercise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back