Stihl BG86 hand held blower review

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Old Echo 21cc blower was having trouble getting the leaves off of my gravel driveway and into the woods. As my trees have grown, the need to blower the leaves has grown too. It's a small job, and a backpack blower would be too much, taking the gravel with the leaves too.

So I chose the Stihl BG-86 as it's among the better hand held, 2 stroke blowers. The Shindawa hybrid 4 stroke is more powerful, and heavier but I could not find one locally.

The BG-86 air intake does not rest against my leg when using my right hand, which is a big plus for me.

While it was stupidly expensive for a hand held blower, it performs very well indeed. It has more than enough power to manage a pile of leaves without any issues. It's mounted on isolation springs so engine vibration is minimal. The exhaust is very quiet, and the muffler has a tiny, removable outlet screen. Removal does not increase power, only noise (I tried) .

I've used plenty of hand held blowers, as we use them to keep our hangars clean. The BG-86 is among the most powerful "hand helds" I've used.

I bought 1 2 years ago as its suppose to be the first in the commercial units after youpass the homeowner units. Mine has been a great unit

Thank you for the review. I recently purchased a Husqvarna 125BVX from lowes for $200. Within a couple weeks it started dying when i went to give it full throttle. I was able to exchange it, and am still within the 30 day return period on my 2nd blower. If this blower starts doing the same thing, the Stihl BG 86 is what ive been thinking about replacing it with. If its anything like my Stihl FS 56 RC trimmer, i wouldnt be disappointed!

Last edited:
I have had one for 2 years and they are great. Keep an eye on the spark arrestor screen. Mine started running funny and that was the problem. I use only Tru-Fuel 50-1, but the small screen plugged anyway. The other thing is the spark plug. It'e not a normal Stihl plug. It's a NGK CMR6H. Much smaller in size.

Great blower for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back