Liqui Moly, MOS2.....harmful to an engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoS2 definitely isn't harmful in most applications and can give a lot of benefits in some
We have a few high mileage motors and use Liqui Moly in all of them. It helps restore compression, reduce oil usage and smoke by a lot and makes for a much quieter and smoother engine.
It is widely acknowledged on this site apart from a very few who just hate any oil additive in general and have never used it

On the 01 it has been used for about a year or 40,000KM
On the 96 it has been used for about 18 months and 60,000KM
The 01 used to smoke real bad and use a liter of oil every 2 weeks or less! After using max life and mos2 it has almost stopped the oil consumption and reduced the smoke a huge amount
As for the 96, it had a rebuild at 290k because thay had the same problem. Since the rebuild it has developed a lifter tick but MoS2 stopped this almost completely

In the Falcon i used to service every 10,000km and it used to use about half a liter in that time, sometimes nearly a liter depending on how hot it was and how hard it was driven. Now with MoS2 the level doesn't even move a single drop!

Note all the cars run much much smoother, quieter and more fuel efficient with it added, it's not placebo and it is very noticable after a few hundered miles or so and some notice instant results, although it takes some time to plate the engine

I just installed LM MoS2 in my van two weeks ago. Its my wife's vehicle so I haven't driven it since it was installed but I'll be driving it all next week. Do I think it will hurt the engine?? No. Follow the link to the white paper and read it. The data clearly demonstrates MoS2 works.

I say add it and sleep good at night.

Quote:
DAVE5358Many (most?) modern motor oils already come with some form of moly in the mix, which may turn into MoS2 under use, so acid formation (or the absence thereof) is probably not a major consideration.

Well, almost.

The soluble molys, whether they be the Molybdenum Dithiocarbamates, or as the Di-nuclear or Tri-nuclear molys, does not turn into a powder.

The soluble molys dispenses their individual molecules to allow shearing of the molybdenum molecules to provide friction modification. No powder is involved in the shearing mechanism for the soluble molys.

ZDDP, an ester, does the same in the sense that it dispenses its individual molecules of zinc, phosphorus, and sulfur to provide anti-wear effects and oxidation inhibition in a controlled fashion.

In MOS2 powders that are found in LiquiMoly, etc., the elemental sulfur particle provides a polar attraction to the metal for the solid moly particle(s). Once the solid moly particles are deposited on the steel internals, they shear under the mechanical shearing forces (as I have explained in other threads) like a deck of cards.

For example, take 10 plastic coated playing cards. Put your finger on the top card and press lightly at an angle. This is what happens in engine internals for any friction modification additive. Like the layers of cards, the layers are sheared off one by one to reduce friction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Why not just use Redline?

Because you can't play chemist and you lose control over your fate!
eek.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Why not just use Redline?

Because you can't play chemist and you lose control over your fate!
eek.gif

Ahhh ok.....well that makes sense.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
but this stuff is a TBN killer/ acid generator in the presence of H-O-H.

Nonsense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back