Amsoil EA15K13 Oil filter Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open 2 of these filters using the exhaust cutter from harbor freight. It worked well with these filters and didn't make the cutting wheels wander.
First one came off my 2008 2.4L Accord after about 9800 miles. Apr to Aug 4 months
The second came off my brothers 2003 2.4L Accord with about 10k miles. Aug to Aug 1yr

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0235.jpg

They looked identical except that the filter from my brother's car caught this. Maybe loosened up some gunk from inside. I know it was run on conventional most of it's life until last summer, it now has about 160k on it currently.
IMAG0238.jpg

That can looks pretty thick. Guess the HF exhaust cutter did the job OK. You must have the Made in Taiwan cutter, not the Made in China version (?). Filter looks good.

Looks like a great filter! Thanks for sharing. Have you considered the Fram Ultra? (7317 for your Accord). Excellent build, excellent filtration plus you get a metal crimp on the seam
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I cut open 2 of these filters using the exhaust cutter from harbor freight. It worked well with these filters and didn't make the cutting wheels wander.
First one came off my 2008 2.4L Accord after about 9800 miles. Apr to Aug 4 months
The second came off my brothers 2003 2.4L Accord with about 10k miles. Aug to Aug 1yr

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0235.jpg

They looked identical except that the filter from my brother's car caught this. Maybe loosened up some gunk from inside. I know it was run on conventional most of it's life until last summer, it now has about 160k on it currently.
IMAG0238.jpg

Looks like a FRAM ULTRA but with no wire backing on the inside... plus that is the same exact leaf spring bypass FRAM uses.... ** NOT SAYING ITS BAD **

However dont AMSOIL Filters cost more $ then other filters?

I would rather have a Fram Ultra .. looks near the same imo.

David1:

The media is indeed wire-backed on the AMSOIL filter. FRAM is one of the last filter manufacturers to do the wire backed synthetic media gig. Not saying they haven't done an excellent job (they have!) but Donaldson, whose media AMSOIL uses, and who does some of the filters for them, was the company that pioneered the stuff.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
David1:

The media is indeed wire-backed on the AMSOIL filter. FRAM is one of the last filter manufacturers to do the wire backed synthetic media gig. Not saying they haven't done an excellent job (they have!) but Donaldson, whose media AMSOIL uses, and who does some of the filters for them, was the company that pioneered the stuff.

So its a Donaldson cartridge with a FRAM leafspring bypass ???

The cartridge is assembled by either Donaldson or WIX IIRC. They use both companies.

The Donaldson filters I've cut use a "clicker" style bypass with a coil spring. They were Donaldson-branded though, where this filter was assembled to AMSOIL's spec's.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
....The media is indeed wire-backed on the AMSOIL filter. FRAM is one of the last filter manufacturers to do the wire backed synthetic media gig. Not saying they haven't done an excellent job (they have!) but Donaldson, whose media AMSOIL uses, and who does some of the filters for them, was the company that pioneered the stuff.

Thanks for pointing this out as it was recently stated by a member that FRAM was the pioneer of synthetic media. Didn't think that was the case and pointed to you as a reference on that thread.

As for the OP's filter, based on the heavy thick baseplate and signature blue button dome bypass/leaf spring combo, I'm thinking this is a Champ made filter which now falls under UCI Fram banner.

What oil was run with the Amsoil filter? I am running the Amsoil EA15K50 filter with Mobil 1 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back