Best filter for 6k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using M1 10w-30 in my 2001 Pontiac GP and M1 5w-30 in my 5.0 Explorer both w/ 6k OCI. I have been using M1 EP filters but at $10 a pop I was wondering if there is a less expinsive alternative w/ similar filtration?
patriot.gif

Thanks in advance,
Ted

Any Wix or its many NAPA derivatives will do just fine--all in the $3-$7 range with NAPA Gold being about the most expensive. NAPA Proselect and Nascar Select lines are cheaper and still very good and more than adequate for 6,000 OCI's.

For your Ford, you really can't beat the Motorcraft filters. They're outstanding filters for a very reasonable price (Walmart, O'Reiily Auto Parts, etc.).

For your GM, the AC Delco filters have shown to do an equally outstanding job. The one for my wife's Yukon XL is about $3.50 at the local O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

Otherwise, I would always be quick to recommend Wix (NAPA Gold) as an alternative.

I'll chime in with the el cheapo alternative. The PureOne is, imo, about the best bang for the buck in the upper tier offerings. M1 is just too darn expensive for what extended benefits it provides. PureOne has proven effective for usage in the 10k range ..even over a year's time.

I would say that it would depend on how you put on your 6k. If it's a longer time-wise situation ..with semi-short trips ...lots of combustion byproducts ..then perhaps the finer filtration of the PureOne (or other premier filter) would be money well spent. OTOH, if you're zipping 6k out in a relatively short time span ..lots of long mileage at full warm up...then both the oil and the filter (of the level of PureOne, M1, etc.) are in excess of what you require for great service. From everything that I've gained here, I think most are well served (over served in some cases) with 6 month OCI's and adjusting the oil and filter to the demands of the mileage that occurs within that time span.

What about the PureOne's supposedly restrictive medium? Has that issue been settled? I was going to use Pure Ones but I read a lot of back and forth on this site about possible excessive restriction--Is that valid or not? The last thing I want to do is starve my engine for oil flow to get slightly better filtration that's probably overkill anyway) Thanks!

MADMIKE,

I've been doing a lot of research on the forum regarding the PureOne filter. In one thread, a person had emailed Purolator about the possible restrictions in the PureOne line. Purolator responded by saying that each filter is designed to flow at the specific rate or better for the specific application it is used for.

Another highly regarded person on the forum has done tests on the filter and could not get it to go into bypass mode except on initial start-up (which all filters do). This means that the "restrictive" nature that people talk about isn't what people make it out to be (IMO).

Madmike, what I've also seen here matches what mshu7 says. The only difference is that I believe the bypass on startup was only suspected in very cold weather.

Thanks guys--maybe it's time to finally try them! I've used Purolator Premiums for years but shied away from the Pure Ones originally because of price but recently because of that whole flow controversy I read about here. Just when I thought I had found the perfect filter for extended drains the flow issue came up. I'll give 'em a try and listen carefully for any increase in valvetrain noise on cold morning start-ups.

Its application specific.
I've had no luck with Pureone filters.

I'll stick with the Napagold since the Mobil1/K&N filters are too expensive.

I also don't care for "bench" tests or manufacturers comments. I've got an engine thats silent on a $3 Premium filter. Swap the filter with a $6 Pureone and be rewared with startup clatter and more engine noise when warm.

302Xplorer,

I just picked up a PureOne oil filter last night at Advance Auto for $5.88.

I'm going to pick up a couple more tonight at Pep Boys and send in for the rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back