2014 Honda Civic LX 1.8L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 2014 Honda Civic LX 1.8L Automatic. I am curious what oil everyone recommends since I live in Las Vegas year round and have two little kids. I do a lot of stop and go driving because I drop them off at daycare.
Should I just pay attention to the Oil Maintenance Reminder? 50%? 25%?
Is there certain motor oils that perform better in hot climates?
0W-20? 5W-30?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I would use any synthetic API SN 0W20 and change it when the Maintenance Minder hits 0%. It's what I do with my 07 Element and my GF's 09 Civic (with the R18).

I am using Napa synthetic 0w-20 in my 06 Civic with the R18 and it is good & smooth. Basically the same oil as Valvoline Synpower. I've heard plenty of good things from Mobil 1 AFE on here, too.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
0w20 when the MM hits 15%

That's what I've done in our Accord, mostly with M1. The current fill is just to use up some of the stash. I'll be going back to 0w20 before winter.

Congrats on your new car! I hope you get many enjoyable miles out of it
smile.gif

Doesn't Honda specify 0w20?

It doesn't have to be a full synthetic (there are quite a few 0w20 syn blends out there, including OEM Honda 0w20), but full syns often go on sale.

Change it at 15% like Honda says. In particular, DO NOT change the factory fill early--leave it in there until 15%! Honda's FF has a special moly additive in there that's not available anywhere, not even at the Honda dealer.

Use the cheapest 0w20 you can find.

Walmart has PP on sale for $22.66 for a 5qt jug. In addition, there is a $10 rebate good through November.

Napa synthetic often goes on sale for $3.49/qt 2-3 times per year. Like another poster said, it's rebranded Synpower.

Sometimes AAP has a synthetic oil change special for $20 or so, including the filter.

AMSOIL 5w20 Signature Series, very good, the best oil volatility i know of, 5.5% NOACK test... 8.7cP 100'C viscosity, thinner than 30 weight oil, but not by much. They use Tri-nuclear Moly as well, amazing anti wear additives.

Last edited:
I still have FF in my Civic but when it's time I will be using TGMO 0w20 when the MM hits 15%.

I put Valvoline Synpower 5w20 into a 09 Civic /w R18 engine before and it sounded louder than PYB 5w20. Honda engines seem to prefer oil with Boron in it which is why the factory fill idemitsu has tons of it. I've read a lot of users reporting louder engines after putting in TGMO, and it's probably because of the lack of boron.

I use Mobil 1 0w-20 (regular or EP) in the one I service, and change it about every 7500 miles. The Maintenance Minder will usually request a service at about 10-11k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back