iPhone 5s or 6? What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know who was the first one to have 64-bit chip and OS to go along with it? Neither the chip nor the company exist any more!

Pre-ordered the 6 Plus/64gb from TMO. $99 down and $31/mo for 24 months. Shipping on 9/19.

I've wanted an iPhone since day 1, but could never reconcile with the small screen. I'm a Mac guy in all other facets.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Do you know who was the first one to have 64-bit chip and OS to go along with it? Neither the chip nor the company exist any more!

I figured it'd have been someone like DEC, no?

Just an update.

I did pick up a new 5s-32gb this afternoon. Very, very nice phone and about the same overall footprint as my trusty 4s. I'm sure I'll use no more than 25% of what it can do.

But please feel free to tell me what a doofus I was for buying last year's iPhone.

P.S., As usual, I put on a tempered glass screen protector, just a hair enough off perfect to annoy me for the life of the phone. They should come from the factory with the thing.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Frankly, the 4GB memory address excuse is most often used by Android enthusiasts to justify why the rest of the ARM world hasn't kept up with Apple on 64-bit development. It's a flawed argument at best and an outright lie at worst. But hey, if it helps you sleep at night...

I've had Apple smartphones since the original iphone...I'm certainly no android fanboy or enthusiast.

I do appreciate the link, it sheds more light on things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas

Well that would be MIPS and OSF/1 found in DEC and SGI machines

I think you made the right decision, and will be very happy with your new phone.

I have an iPhone 5 that I love, and both my parents have 5s's that they love. I have no desire to "upgrade" to the iPhone 6 because I think the screen size on my 5 is perfect, I don't want a phone that's too big as clutchdisc mentioned earlier. I could change my mind after seeing the 6 in person, but I highly doubt it. The only knock I have on my 5 is that it can't connect to Verizon's XLTE network like the 5s can. Not really a big deal because regular LTE is plenty fast, fastest LTE speed I've ever recorded was 50Mbps.

The more I play with my wife's 5s, the less interest I have in the new 6. I don't care for the large screen size, and the base 6 doesn't seem to offer me much over the 5s for what the price difference. I don't care about NFC (won't use Apple Pay), and the 5s's camera is already far improved to my already-good 4s's camera, so I don't think I'll miss much there.

I'd like to see an iPhone 6 "Minus". I doubt that Jony Ive could live with one of "his" products being called "minus", but I really would like a 5s-sized phone with new hardware. I think it'd be unfortunate for Apple to abandon its users who like to pocket and/or one-hand their phones...that was one of the original design edicts of the iPhone. I don't think Apple has closed the door on a future "small" iPhone, but they sure haven't given small phone fans a whole lot to look forward to.

I am the same way. I like the 4s size, and I think I can also like the 5s form factor...
But I am a bit skeptical about how even the smaller 4.7" iphone 6 would feel...
Still have to ponder and handle one before making the switch, if at all.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Still have to ponder and handle one before making the switch, if at all.

Good call. No one should ever skip this step.

At least we won't have to pay full price
smile.gif

Verizon has started offering upto $100 (which is half of the 2 yr contract price for 16gb iphone 6) for 16gb iphone 4s trade-ins.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/201...pples-complaint

Or is it $200 ? I guess I have to check with Verizon...
Another article says this:

Quote:
Verizon, the nation's largest carrier, is offering a free $200 gift card that can be used toward a $199 16 GB Apple iPhone 6 (or any phone) with the trade-in of working Apple iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S with eligible upgrade or two-year contract. The offer is good through Sept. 30

EDIT AGAIN:
Just checked on verizon: trade-in vlaue came to $200
smile.gif
so if We DO get iphone 6, 2 yr contract, the phone will be free
smile.gif

Tbird, I do think providers are very aggressively pushing people to the 6 for whatever reason. But I got a nice price slash on a 5s, as it's "last year's phone". And we were short a phone, so waiting around for 6 delivery was going to become a problem anyway. Last I checked, pre-orders are now up to a few weeks.

I don't have the best reading eyes anymore, and the 6 seemed the worst of all worlds -- for me.

I can live with a full size pad. But I can barely read my wife's iPad mini. An iPhone 6 would have been even more frustrating. I won't even try with a 4s or 5s without glasses handy. And it's just too big to easily pocket like those smaller phones. If I can't almost lose it in my pocket, it's not really portable to me. I don't want to carry my phone in my hand or holstered to my side.

I can see where a younger buyer with good, strong eyes would go bonkers over a 6, though. To them, it's a "micro pad".

Hard to believe I used to tote around a bag phone, way back when.

Yeah I am waiting to handle one in person when they're at Verizon stores and see if the smaller 6 is still small enough for me.
If it's too bulky, I might go for 5s.

I don't do heavy amounts of reading on my phone, like ebooks, etc; only a short amount at a time, so that's ok. I also don't watch movies on my phone like some people; rarely a short youtube video or a short news video, that's it.

BTW why do you think 6 is going to be WORSE than the 5s for reading?
or did you mean that a phone is worse than a tablet in general for reading? (which is of course, true)

I am in no hurry, so that's fine. It's just good to know that IF we do make the jump before 9/30, our upgrade will be free for a 2 yr contract.

I don't think the 6 is worse than a 5s for viewing. It's bigger, so is certainly better. But if I can't comfortably read an iPad mini, an iPhone 6 won't be any better for me.

There's no sense in going to a bulkier phone that is still a PITA to read.

I will on exceedingly rare occasion play Netflix on the phone to kill 5-10 minutes before a meeting, flight, etc. But even then, I'm mostly listening along. I occasionally enjoy the TuneIn app for the same reason. I'm a listener, not a watcher, on these pocket-sized gadgets.

If my eyes were 22 again, I'd probably appreciate the 6 much more.

Gotcha. I agree - in your case, there would be no/little point in getting a 6, if you already have a 5s.

A few people I know have already pre-ordered the 6 and the 6 plus.
I am going to see if I can get some good feedback and and perhaps get my hands on one to play with a bit.
Like nothing having it in your own hands...

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
EDIT AGAIN:
Just checked on verizon: trade-in vlaue came to $200
smile.gif
so if We DO get iphone 6, 2 yr contract, the phone will be free
smile.gif

Is this on their website anywhere (I cannot find it)?

This seems to be an on-again, off-again deal. I heard it first reported as a $200 trade for all 4s or newer iPhones. Then I heard that the deal was removed from the website and it was "off". Then I heard they dropped the 4s's trade to $100. Now it's back to $200?

They first had something like "trade in 4s get a free iphone6 " etc and Apple didn't like it. So they changed it to include it in their trade in page; Now you get your iphone6, send in your 4s and get a gift card for $200.
(same result, more cumbersome; idk if one can do this trade-in in person at a Verizon shop or not, when you get the new iphone6)

You have to go the link where a step by step appraisal tool is on verizon: when I went through the steps it gave me the $200.

Go here and enter the device (iphone 4s, etc) name in the search box. then another page comes up with choices. Choose the type of phone you wish to trade in, then go through the steps and answer the questions.

(deal valid till 9/30, have to send in old phone by 12/30)

https://www.trade-in.vzw.com/home.php5?c=en-us

No problem.
(Might drop by the Verizon store on Skibo and check it out after 19th - they should have at least a demo to play with. If I do, I will ask more about the trade-in in person or if it's online only. Will update here if I learn anything new)

I know they're supposed to be released the 19th, but they don't even have demo phones yet? Bummer. I was going to ask my wife to go check the 6 out this week to see if she likes it. If not, we'll pass on this deal and I'll look for a $49 deal on a 5s around the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back