Car and Drivers 2014 Corvette grenaded engine....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Is C&D really running this thing all the way up to 7500 mile oil changes? Especially with all of the "testing" that they are surely performing on this car?

Does it not have an OLM that is requiring a change sooner than the 7500 mile guideline?

C&D, in the long term test vehicles, follows the OLM (or manual, usually on non-severe service) religiously. They also complain about short service intervals quite often.

I'll have to wait for the issue and read it. The linked story isn't terribly clear, but as others have pointed out, all we have is conjecture and I doubt we'll get much else.

Letters to the editor will more than likely laugh at C&D for having a Vette fail, given how much they've been featuring the vehicle lately. I bet there won't be a lot of letters worrying about factory fill or factory filter.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: rjundi
This seems to be a good case for dealer oil changes.

Imagine if you were the BITOGer using the fancy aftermarket filter with the best Synthetic and this happened. I doubt Chevy warranty nor oil filter maker would own up to it without a lawyer involved.

thumbsup2.gif

35.gif

Yep, they'd be looking for a way out for sure!

I file this under the [censored] happens category. Make enough of something and you will get a few failures.

Also who cares its under warranty anyway.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: rjundi
This seems to be a good case for dealer oil changes.

Imagine if you were the BITOGer using the fancy aftermarket filter with the best Synthetic and this happened. I doubt Chevy warranty nor oil filter maker would own up to it without a lawyer involved.

thumbsup2.gif

35.gif

Yep, they'd be looking for a way out for sure!

Nope.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Is the factory fill still Mobil 1?

Why yes, I do believe the factory fill in that Corvette was Mobil 1.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mobiloil.com

Chevrolet factory fills every Corvette with Mobil 1 5W-30,

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
They're saying bad oil filter,and that a piece of metal was allowed through the filter,BUT,where did that piece of metal come from,and what made it break loose from the internals to be able to reach the oil filter? I call b.s. on blaming the oil filter.

Should GM step up to a 50 weight on their highest performance car like Ford?
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How is this the oil filters fault?

What was said metal particle doing in the oil anyways? Something had a problem.

Agreed. The filter thing is a red herring. The filter circuit has a bypass which can open quite easily in normal operations.

The problem is the 'metal chunks'.

No question they were beating on it, but that's entirely in their jurisdiction to do so. They weren't abusing it by neglecting prescribed maintenance, though it may have ran low on oil and someone failed to catch it in time. Again, can't imagine that happening with the computer crying about low oil for so long.

Also, what are the chances that the one defective build vehicle makes it directly to the journalists? It's much more likely that if defect is involved, that it's s design or specification defect. Even assuming that 1 in 10 Corvettes are defective in materials or workmanship (outrageous), that's still an unlikely chance that the journalists would end up with that one.

What else could it be?...

Well considering most Corvettes are bought by white haired older men than idled around town...maybe it just had a heart attack?

probably was a paper filter.....lol..lol a stainless steel filter would have caught that piece of metal happens all the time in the racing world. I think I am slowly making my case for the use of a good stainless steel filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
probably was a paper filter.....lol..lol a stainless steel filter would have caught that piece of metal happens all the time in the racing world. I think I am slowly making my case for the use of a good stainless steel filter.

Nope. You sure aren't. Gravel traps are just fine for racing engines that get rebuilt every few races however they've got absolutely no business on a passenger vehicle.
30 microns absolute is a big enough chunk to score cylinder walls and gouge bearings.
But keep telling yourself that your 200 dollar oil filter is better,since every oem and all these engines in my fleet with over 400k on them,using paper media must in some way be failing,somehow.
Absurd
So how long does that archoil last. Have you burned your hand yet?
Please

Clevy, I am hoping he was making a joke.

If so, hahaha, it was actually pretty funny.

But same here, NO gravel traps on any of my trucks either. And we seem to be getting along just fine, thank you....

This caught my eye. They said:

"While press vehicles do sometimes incur a higher degree of wear and tear, this may not be the fault of C&D. There have been some other isolated reports in the Stingray forums and other places complaining of similar failures. GM, for their part, has said they’re looking into the matter to find a root cause.

What can you do if you own one of these LT1 powered rocketships? Getting a full oil change on a more regular basis probably wouldn’t hurt, along with an aftermarket oil filter for the time being. Sometimes you can never be too safe."

------------------------------------------------
Shorter OCI's wouldn't hurt, imagine that.
27.gif

Similar failures? Time for thicker oil, non-OE filter, and shorter OCIs.

It's a no brainer....Fram PH + 0w40 + 3k iffylube recommended OCI
27.gif
The enviro-eco crowd already hate your choice in V8 powered vehicles. Give them some more used oil and a landfill of filters to worry about.

Btw, I have no problem with the superior oil flow from a stainless mesh oil filter. There is a fine line between preventing wear vs capturing wear.

i wouldn't worry if i had one of these. i would just drive it until either a recall, or when my engine explodes, gmc will replace. i doubt the oil filter was the reason for this.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
"What can you do if you own one of these LT1 powered rocketships? Getting a full oil change on a more regular basis probably wouldn’t hurt, along with an aftermarket oil filter for the time being. Sometimes you can never be too safe."

In other words, they really don't have a clue because it's too early in the process so they're just spitballing.
wink.gif

Too much flotsam in the FF and filter pleats. Now how many of Us will now agree to at least change the OE filter at 1000K miles and top off (instead of dump) the FF sump? That would at least get the loaded filter out of the equation and the chance that bypass operation would circulate large (>0.001"D)debris. One reason I now prefer WIX base-end bypass during wear-in - I Have one in my trunk of the Nissan, unused, which was left-over from my Honda Fit stash (p/n: 57356) - might just install that this weekend. I might get a phone OK from Nissan service first. I will also find out if they would be concerned if I use going forward O.E service replacement HONDA blue Fram filters instead of the questionable NISSAN OE Chinese traps
smile.gif

Last edited:
Everytime I've had warranty engine replacement they trashed the car and I had to sell it. So There could be worries. Plus, the ECU storage will make you into a liar when you say, "I was just driving it into my garage at 1200 rpm and it let go!" DENIED!~

Dang ARCO'! How many warranty engine replacements have you had?
shocked2.gif

Agree with you on the ECU storage function. If it were any of us enjoying a spirited drive when this happened....yikes!

Last edited:
I suspect Chevrolet will fix this matter to C&D's satisfaction in short shrift. They've been getting free, fawning advertising from C&D for many months on the Vette. I doubt that GM wishes to flush this down the toilet. They give C&D a stellar warranty experience, C&D will tell the world. They make C&D suffer, C&D will also tell the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back