Emailed Purolator about possible Pureone restriction issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Just wanted an answer from the guys over at Purolator about the issues of Pureone filters being too restrictive. This issue doesn't bother me one bit but I was curious to see how they would reply. They replied exactly as I thought they would.

ME HI there Tom. First off let me say I'm a big fan of Purolator products in general. I've heard that Premium Plus oil filters are excellent all-around filters, that for the price, flow excellent and filter very well. Now I've also heard that the Pureone is EXCELLENT when it comes to filtration but not so good when it comes to oil flow. This kind of worries some people. Me personally? I've never felt a difference. But what you can feel and what is really happening are sometimes two completely seperate things. So my question to you is, should a person be worried about oil flow and oil pressure when using a Pureone filter? Please be thorough in your explanation as I'm not to hip on oil flow physics and I'd like to understand everything. I'd very much appreciate it if you get back to me. Thanks!!

Tom At Purolator There are always slight differences in flow rate between high efficiency filters and those of lower efficiency. However, Purolator matches its filter recommendations to the engines for which they are cataloged. So long as the filters are applied by the recommendations of the Purolator catalog, the filters will have a flow rate which exceeds the amount of oil flow which the lubrication system is capable of producing.

No "translation" required.

Purolator says "There are always slight differences in the flow rate between high efficiency filters and those of lower efficiency". Does not seem to me that the Pure One restriction is a lot higher than the Premium Plus.

Purolator says "the filters will have a flow rate which exceeds the amount of oil flow which the lubrication system is capable of producing". Way more than good enough.

If you wish to extend the Pure One restriction myth get some data.

Of course, is there the possibility he's including bypass flow in his contention that PureOnes exceed the flow rate for any engine for which the filter is recommended?

I'm always looking askance, but even a filter that's always in by-pass is "flowing", right?

What do I know?

Nuttin!

Look at Gary Allen's data on the very restrictive Pure One filter. Running something like 20w50 the filter was in bypass only for the first few seconds of a cold startup. After that there was nothing he could do to make it go into bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back