Sym Wolf Classic 150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Bought a small bike today, a Wolf 150 and it calls for "10W-40 SH or better" oil.

I'm thinking Rotella 15W-40 for this little puppy and frequent changes (no filter).

Am I in the ballpark with Rotella dino?

Yes you are thinking good, although if you have any really cold starts you might want to look into a good 5w40 or 10w40.

Without a filter you can't really extend changes with a synthetic so dino is your friend probably every 1-2k right?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Yes you are thinking good, although if you have any really cold starts you might want to look into a good 5w40 or 10w40.

Without a filter you can't really extend changes with a synthetic so dino is your friend probably every 1-2k right?

If it's a question of "really cold starts" the bike and I will stay home.
cool.gif

Yes, I was thinking 1500 miles or so per oci.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Is it air cooled? If so...I'd run synthetic.

If choosing synthetic, you might want to choose something less expensive (usually group iii base stocks) since your chosen oci's are shortened (1500 miles); another consideration is synthetic pcmo (that are not energy/resource conserving) bought on sale to keep yer costs lower due to shorter oci's

Amsoil 10w-40 scooter oil is @ 30-35% less expensive than their motorcycle oil (different formula) and would be a great choice...

Last edited:
That bike should live a long life with Rotella. Looks like a fun ride, how do you like it so far ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

12_20120308_RGS_5875.jpg

Mid-life crises papa bear? lol..

Time will tell, Wayne.
cool.gif

The oil has to service the engine, gearbox and clutch.
I think the 15W-40 HDEO will work well in this instance.

I may fall off the thing but I won't be going too fast if I do.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: FastGame
That bike should live a long life with Rotella. Looks like a fun ride, how do you like it so far ?

Bought it in Windsor, ON on Wednesday and it will be PDI'd and delivered to my home on Saturday. Riding begins on Sunday.
grin.gif

Before you try to ride it , take a while to get familiar with it.Sit and stare at it for about an hour. This way you won't do it while riding it. It may sound silly, but I've seen people stare in amazement and forget to look where their going. Get a helmet, thick gloves, and a jacket with some good boots. Just in case you take a tumble. Getting skinned up hurts and takes a while to heal up. And yea, Rotella t will do everything you need it to.Good luck.,,,

Nothing to add, but I considered that bike for about 2 years. Ended up getting the KTM instead. That Wolf 150 is nice looking, lightweight, simple mechanics/easy repairs, have fun !

I got the bike delivered Saturday afternoon and tonight (Sunday) I have about 80 miles on it .. just cruising around.
It is a very nice bike so far and I'll change the FF oil in about 100 more miles or so.

At 70 yrs old I'm too old to be having a mid-life crisis.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
At 70 yrs old I'm too old to be having a mid-life crisis.
smile.gif

No not really, at that age is all the more reason to do what you want and enjoy life. You do need to be careful and don't drive like a 70 yr old person (left turns and pulling out in front of people, 30 mph in a 60 mph zone...haha)and be on the lookout for teens & women on cell phones.

Have a nice safe one Papa Bear.....
smile.gif

I would leave the counter shaft sprocket alone for now, the little engine needs the high rev's to make its power.

It is such an easy mod I would try it. Go up one tooth and see if it still has enough power down low to pull you on a takeoff. I had a Virago 250 once and I went up one tooth on the front and down 3 on the rear and still it would pull my 220lb butt off the line and I went from 78mpg to getting 90mpg on the back roads at 55mph.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastGame
I would leave the counter shaft sprocket alone for now, the little engine needs the high rev's to make its power.

Not sure where you are in MI but I'm about 35 miles S-E of Detroit.
The terrain is flatter than pee on a platter and I don't need a lot of torque to get me up/down hills etc .. just cruising on level asphalt. I can take off easily in 2nd gear the way it is right now.

Thanks guys for your input.
55.gif

Hello Papa Bear, I'm straight across from Sarnia...flat here also. I was thinking that your bike is new and you shouldn't change the gearing until it's broke in nice, no lugging let it rev happy for awhile then mess with it.

I did change my gearing on the KZ and it made it much better for my liking. I went from drag/street gearing to more Highway. Now my bike is pretty much a 4 speed and I don't even use 5th unless I'm on the Interstate @70+ mph, it's nice and smooth @4,000 RPM.

Have fun and be safe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back