PF48-PF63 Interchangability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed ACDelco about the possibility of using the PF63 in the place of PF48 on my 2013 Silverado. Here's what they said:

Dear Mr. xxxxx:
Thank you for visiting the ACDelco website.
In regards to your inquiry about PF63 oil filters, the PF63 is replacing the PF48 therefore any application that calls for a PF48 will now use a PF63. Again thanks for using ACDelco.
If you have any other questions, please contact our experts at the ACDelco support center by dialing 1-800-ACDELCO (223-3526).
Regards,
ACDelco Internet Response Team

Last edited by a moderator:
That answer doesn't seam right coming from acdelco. While the it may be the case I would want it from gm for warranty purposes.

There was a tsb on the traverses back specing the pf63 for vehicles older than 2013. Those originally had the pf48 when they came out but now have the pf63.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
I emailed ACDelco about the possibility of using the PF63 in the place of PF48 on my 2013 Silverado. Here's what they said:

Dear Mr.xxxxxx:
In regards to your inquiry about PF63 oil filters, the PF63 is replacing the PF48 therefore any application that calls for a PF48 will now use a PF63. Again thanks for using ACDelco.
If you have any other questions, please contact our experts at the ACDelco support center by dialing 1-800-ACDELCO (223-3526).
Regards,

I would also rather hear it from GM but that it is good to hear either way! It is a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned. The PF48 is just so tiny! It is nearly as big around as it is tall! Why GM, Why? lol

Given the size difference between the PF48 (3.3in length) and PF63 (4.08in length) the main advantage would be extra media. The extra length of the PF63 would only add about 3oz of oil capacity. Likewise the Wix crossref to a PF63 is a 57045 (4.8in length) would add 6oz of oil capacity compared to the PF48.

So, a little new info- I emailed Hastings about using their PF63 equivalent (LF641) as opposed to their PF48 equivalent (LF613) and this is what I got:

"It is our practice to recommend the use of our products as they are listed by application. Nonetheless, as these filters are made today, the LF641 will offer a slightly better efficiency if used in place of the LF613"

They attached this table. Interestingly enough, there is slightly less media area and capacity to the longer filter. However, the efficiency is much higher. Can somebody with knowledge tell me if this efficiency is germane to anything insofar as real world engine protection is concerned?

post-15846-0-78374200-1401495600.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AMC

Dear Mr.xxxxxx:
Regards,

I would also rather hear it from GM but that it is good to hear either way! It is a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned. The PF48 is just so tiny! It is nearly as big around as it is tall! Why GM, Why? lol

I'm with you, especially since I called ACDelco today and the guy on the phone told me that the PF48 is a "higher tech" filter with a better filter ability than the PF63 which is an "older design"

BX=2 means 50% efficient at X microns.
BX=75 means 98.7% efficient at X microns.

LF641
B25=75 means 98.7% efficient at 25 microns in this case.

LF613
B40=75 means 98.7% efficient at 40 microns in this case.

I always go with the more efficient oil filter - why not?

You don't think the "flow" would be reduced would it?

I highly doubt it - filter designers aren't going to choke down the flow of an oil filter to the point it would cause problems and cause engine damage claims.

Besides, with a positive displacement oil pump any reduction in flow would only show up if you were at red line IF there was any flow difference between oil filters (which would only be a few PSI difference anyway). How many times do you hit red line?
grin.gif

In general, oil filters can typically flow 15 times more flow than the oiling system of the engine can at the same oil pump supply pressure.

IIRC My 2011 Terrain came from the factory with a PF 48 that had a sticker on it that said replace with PF 63. Oddly enough, the factory filter didn't have an ADV.

The thing about the pf63 sized filler is that most all of the aftermarket filters are just crossed from a ford application. The acdelco version is just a longer pf48. The ford application even predate the gm applications in the aftermarket filters.

The pf48 is only speced for gm applications.

Not that any of that really maters. Once I have all of my napa 7060's used up I am going to the 7045 on my truck. I have been using the 7060 on my wife's traverse to get them gone faster as I have way to many of them.

It seems as though that Ford spec'd filter offers definite better efficiency. That definitely seems like it could be of value. Again, as an aside, I was really impressed with Baldwin/Hastings customer service. It clearly makes a difference to be dealing with a company whose whole thing is making filtration products.

We use the 48 and 63 interchangeably depending on space. use a 48 on equinox/terrains because 63 hits the fans, but a 63 on SRX with same engine.

For the Camaro I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to use the 63 if it can feet without interference issues. The PF48E is the e-core (i.e. plastic cage with blowout potential) version of the ACDelco filter. Inferior to the the PF48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back