Versatrac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the fluid in the "Versatrak" RDM of my Saturn VUE with Synchromax. It seems to work OK. However, I change it every 20k miles. The original load of Versatrak fluid resulted in chunks of brass sparklies and black fluid (think of it as a slightly thicker Guiness Stout) on my first change at 30k miles. The Versatrak fluid is also 2-3 times the price of the already expensive Synchromax. No thanks.

Replacing the RDM clutch pack is indeed expensive and they are somewhat fragile. GM definitely hoodwinked the public on this "AWD" solution.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
I replaced the fluid in the "Versatrak" RDM of my Saturn VUE with Synchromax. It seems to work OK. However, I change it every 20k miles. The original load of Versatrak fluid resulted in chunks of brass sparklies and black fluid (think of it as a slightly thicker Guiness Stout) on my first change at 30k miles. The Versatrak fluid is also 2-3 times the price of the already expensive Synchromax. No thanks.

Replacing the RDM clutch pack is indeed expensive and they are somewhat fragile. GM definitely hoodwinked the public on this "AWD" solution.

As I had said Synchromax seems to be an acceptable replacement for Versatrak in the Vue. It apprantly does not replace it acceptably in all applications that call for it.

My two cents for posterity:

Recently I had my Versatrak fluid flushed for about $140 ($84 for four bottles on Amazon plus $50 labor at Econo Lube). You can save the $50 by doing this yourself. If that's still too much, I've talked to a person involved in the design of the VersaTrak system and here is what he said:

"The versatrak fluid is not that special, it is a just high quality synthetic gear oil with friction additives.

If you want, you can make your own brew, the formula is : Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil, and a tube of friction modifier (LSD additive, GM #1052358, Ford #M2C118-A, Chrysler #4318060) you can use any brand, CRC, Redline, etc. use just enough to get rid of groaning noise.

Make sure you have identical tires on all four corners, the diameter needs to exact, do not mix and match different brands, even if same size, do not even mix worn and new tires. Do not tow you your Buick with 2 wheels off the ground."

Quote:
"The versatrak fluid is not that special, it is a just high quality synthetic gear oil with friction additives.

If you want, you can make your own brew, the formula is : Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil, and a tube of friction modifier (LSD additive, GM #1052358, Ford #M2C118-A, Chrysler #4318060) you can use any brand, CRC, Redline, etc. use just enough to get rid of groaning noise.

I would strongly advise against making your own brew.

Can you duplicate the base oil, viscosity, viscosity index, the correct friction modification chemistry?

I think the answer is obvious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back