New Tires for 2014 Mazda 6 - my research...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
But what I am wondering is, are they $300 better than the Gmax? I didn't want to get the top or the bottom tire in the pack, but go with something mid-range or upper middle range; although the Gmax has a bottom range price, I have read on several car forums that they perform like a much higher priced tire - i guess that's why I was drwan to them. From the TR tests that I posted, (NOT the consumer survey, but the TESTS with the bar graphs) looks like they beat some of the other tires that were priced higher than them.

Any thoughts on THAT angle?

Are the Michelins worth $300 more than the Generals? My answer is probably, though I couldn't say for sure. I'm sure the Generals' performance when new is very good. How that changes with age is anyone's guess. It's probably reasonable to assume that a less expensive tire won't hold its performance as well over time as a more expensive tire will. Also, your inability to properly rotate those Generals because they're directional may also eat into that $300 savings in the form of tires you have to replace sooner than you'd like due to roughness or noise.

I avoid directional tires at pretty much all costs. In this case, it would cost me at least $120 to avoid it (for the Kumhos). So the price for the Kumhos would be my baseline. I'd then ask myself if the Michelins are worth $180 more than the Kumhos, and I have to believe the answer is "yes".

And the last thing I'll say before I shut up...yes, Mazda did 6 owners no favors here fitting W-rated 19" wheels from the factory. Tire replacement costs factor into TCO. At best, you don't have very many good tires from which to choose in this size. At worst, they're more expensive than tires for a family sedan really should be. This, coming from the guy who thinks the small-by-comparison 17" wheels on his CR-V are too large...

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
But what I am wondering is, are they $300 better than the Gmax? I didn't want to get the top or the bottom tire in the pack, but go with something mid-range or upper middle range; although the Gmax has a bottom range price, I have read on several car forums that they perform like a much higher priced tire - i guess that's why I was drwan to them. From the TR tests that I posted, (NOT the consumer survey, but the TESTS with the bar graphs) looks like they beat some of the other tires that were priced higher than them.

Any thoughts on THAT angle?

Are the Michelins worth $300 more than the Generals? My answer is probably, though I couldn't say for sure. I'm sure the Generals' performance when new is very good. How that changes with age is anyone's guess. It's probably reasonable to assume that a less expensive tire won't hold its performance as well over time as a more expensive tire will. Also, your inability to properly rotate those Generals because they're directional may also eat into that $300 savings in the form of tires you have to replace sooner than you'd like due to roughness or noise.

I avoid directional tires at pretty much all costs. In this case, it would cost me at least $120 to avoid it (for the Kumhos). So the price for the Kumhos would be my baseline. I'd then ask myself if the Michelins are worth $180 more than the Kumhos, and I have to believe the answer is "yes".

And the last thing I'll say before I shut up...yes, Mazda did 6 owners no favors here fitting W-rated 19" wheels from the factory. Tire replacement costs factor into TCO. At best, you don't have very many good tires from which to choose in this size. At worst, they're more expensive than tires for a family sedan really should be. This, coming from the guy who thinks the small-by-comparison 17" wheels on his CR-V are too large...

The price difference is of course a matter of the tire size. They're going to be ridiculously expensive regardless of the tire brand/model, and it magnifies the price difference between the most expensive and less expensive tires in that size. I'm guessing that an oddball size is also going to tend to be more expensive because of the costs of making molds and tooling for less demand.

I've got 205/55R16 tires, and the Pilot Sport A/S 3 actually comes in 3 speed ratings in that size. Tire Rack has the Y for $127, V for $119, and H for $118. For me, the difference between these and a moderately priced tire was maybe $50 to $100 a set.

And I guess one thing with this tire is that it doesn't look [censored] like some directional tire with an exotic tread pattern. It frankly looks pretty conservative.

By the way, also be aware that *some* of the places will refuse to install different rated tires than the one which were fitted by the manufacturer.

My choice would be in this order in the 225/45R19 size:
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
Yokohama Advan Sport A/S
and then it'd be a toss up between the Kumho Ecsta Plat and the General G-Max AS-03.

It's too bad Mazda chose to go 7.5" wide on the 19" wheel instead of a more common 8" width. If the factory wheels were 19x8, you could run a 235/45R19, 235/40R19 or 245/40R19 which would open up a lot more choices (and even some great Grand Touring choices such as the Pirelli P7 Plus) and still be pretty darn close to the 225/45 diameter.

Update: Discount Tire Direct is doing a massive sale on select tires. The best deals right now are on Yokohamas.

The Yokohama YK580s get up to $220 in rebates if you use the DTD credit card.

With the current promo, you can get the Pilot Sport A/S 3 for $802 shipped. That's $150 off the normal price.

It's basically about a $125-$150 savings over an in-store Costco savings. It's some money saved, but it may not be worth it to some. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: The Critic
From everything I've read, the Pilot Sport A/S 3 is a game changer in that segment and is head and shoulders above all of the other choices.

Ditto.

Agreed as well, typically their tires are pretty darn good ones.

And please everyone stop worrying about the tread patterns. My newer Pss's have the least interesting tread I have ever purchased, yet they have the BEST wet traction that I ever had.

So despite what you may see, the tire may impress you anyway...

I would get the generals, they may not be the best of all ur options, but they will do fine for ur application and for the right price. If money is a non issue, go for the pilot sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back