mobil1 0w40 or total energy 9000 5w40 bmw n54

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i can actually get these at the same price, just curious which you guys would prefer. car is a 2010 135i with 54000 miles. last oil change was with mobil1 0w40 euro. car used a little less than a quart in 4000 miles. in my last car which was a vw passat with the DI 2.0t heavily modded i used only total 9000 5w40 since i used to get it from a friend who races and would give it to me for 19$ for 5qts. i bought the car with 48000 miles and the original owner only took it to bmw for their 15000 mile reccomended oci free maint.

just want to hear what you guys think.
thanks

Pull a UOA and see how big of a deal fuel dilution is for YOUR car and YOUR driving profile. Assuming that fuel dilution is occurring, you may want the cheaper oil that you can change more often...

[censored], it uses oil? for an expensive car like that it sounds annoying to me.

15,000 without any UOA is too long imo.

Mobil 1 0w40 since from what I know it has the BMW approval and whatever total energy is, probably doesn't

Both are excellent oils. I'd probably use the M1 if you are running the car year round because it has better cold temperature performance.

yup i will run it all year long. i bought the car used so the previous owner just followed bmw oci. i dont know how to read the ad packs so i dont know which would be better for the n54 engine. i know a lot of guys use mobil but most people never heard of the total energy, i was using it back when it was elf.

it should have a BMW approval of "LL-1" and I think Mobil 1 0w40 has that and unless that total 5 hour energy oil has the approval, I would personally only run Mobil 1 Ow40 from your choices.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
it should have a BMW approval of "LL-1" and I think Mobil 1 0w40 has that and unless that total 5 hour energy oil has the approval, I would personally only run Mobil 1 Ow40 from your choices.

Both oils are LL-01.

Whatever oil you choose don't abandoned it after 1 UOA.

Also, under shorter OCI's the brand isn't as important whereas cost is.

My $.02

They are both heavier than necessary for a typical street only application, but both oils are cheaper than most LL-01 0W/5W-30s including the BMW 5W-30.
That said if the choice is just between those two oils I'd go with M1 0W-40 unless it's a whole more than the $19/5qt for the Total 9000 although for that price I'd might want to try it at least once.
Whatever oil you use I'd keep your OCI to 10,000 miles max.

All I know is that Mobil 1 0W40 is fantastic in my 1990 XJS V12. I was using Mobil 1 HM 10W40 and went to 0W40 a few weeks ago and the engine is quieter and runs smoother. Its also running slightly cooler and that's great for this engine. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back