Nissan Sentra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SF0059
I am going to make a plug for the Mazda3. Can be had in her price range, are a hoot to drive and have a timing chain. The drivetrain is proven reliable.

And I know Mazdas are well built vehicles...my wife has an MPV we bought new and its been a great ride, but I've heard the fuel economy of the 3 isn't very good...at least not as good as that of the Corolla or Civic...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi

And I know Mazdas are well built vehicles...my wife has an MPV we bought new and its been a great ride, but I've heard the fuel economy of the 3 isn't very good...at least not as good as that of the Corolla or Civic...

Fuelly.com generally confirms your fuel economy concerns.

OTOH, the Mazda 3 is available as a hatchback. If you need the utility that offers, you can't get that in a Civic or Corolla.

Originally Posted By: strat81

Fuelly.com generally confirms your fuel economy concerns.

OTOH, the Mazda 3 is available as a hatchback. If you need the utility that offers, you can't get that in a Civic or Corolla.

I just checked on the hatchback and unfortunately there aren't any available in my area or price range...

Originally Posted By: SF0059
I am going to make a plug for the Mazda3. Can be had in her price range, are a hoot to drive and have a timing chain. The drivetrain is proven reliable.

The older Mazda3s were made with 2 different engines, the 2.0 and the 2.3. I had the 2.3 (3s) and would average 27 mpg in mixed driving, so it was hardly amazing. However, the 2.0 (3i) gets into Corolla/Civic territory and is more affordable to boot. However, the 2.0 was only available in the sedan.

According to fuelly.com average fuel economy for the 3 is ~ 26 MPG...I think my daughter wants something more in the mid to high 30s range...though the 3 isn't totally out of the question...

Last edited:
I would consider giving up just a few MPG's to get a better built, more solid car. The Ford Fusion for example has about 27-28 combined and mid to low 30's highway, and is solid and well built. Might save you money in the long run.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I would consider giving up just a few MPG's to get a better built, more solid car. The Ford Fusion for example has about 27-28 combined and mid to low 30's highway, and is solid and well built. Might save you money in the long run.

I doubt any Fusions will be in her price range...they're still too new of a model...too bad the newer focus hatchback isn't in her price range yet...those are nice!

Last edited:
Don't discount a Subaru Impreza, Chevy Cobalt or a Toyota Scion Xd. The Yaris is also a decent car - I will say its a better driver overall than my new Nissan Versa Note.

Also I wouldn't necessarily look for a chain timed engine car - I ve had MUCH more trouble with chain engines - belt engines are preferred from a lubricant and engineering standpoint.

Somehow I missed her price range - what is the range?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Don't discount a Subaru Impreza, Chevy Cobalt or a Toyota Scion Xd. The Yaris is also a decent car - I will say its a better driver overall than my new Nissan Versa Note.

Also I wouldn't necessarily look for a chain timed engine car - I ve had MUCH more trouble with chain engines - belt engines are preferred from a lubricant and engineering standpoint.

$6K or less...and that's strange that you've had problems with timing chains...I never have, but I've certainly had to change belts...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Hope she's OK.
Get another Corolla or a Hyundai Accent 2007 to 2011 hatchback.

Sorry, I should've posted that she didn't get hurt at all...thank God!

According to fuelly.com average fuel economy for the 3 is ~ 26 MPG...I think my daughter wants something more in the mid to high 30s range...though the 3 isn't totally out of the question...

That total is with the 2.3 and 2.5.

Here are the averages for the 2.0

In that era I would go with a Civic or Corolla before a Sentra... Personally.. And I like Nissan.

Could probably find a nice clean 2005 EX or so for a good price, last year for that body style. They're pretty solid.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

$6K or less...and that's strange that you've had problems with timing chains...I never have, but I've certainly had to change belts...
Even on a BMW M engine. Either polymer chain guide deterioration or constant sticking of tensioners. A better oil could help with tensioner sludging.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
If hatchback utility might be valuable ... Matrix / Vibe. Basically a Corolla wagon.

These are very utilitarian, however, the gas mileage penalty for that utility is quite enormous...I never could figure out why the mileage of these two vehicles is so much lower than that of the Corolla, they aren't THAT much bigger or heavier...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back