Nissan Sentra

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter wrecked her Corolla last week and she might have to get another car (as the cost to repair it may be too much). We will be looking at Corollas and Civics for sure, but there seems to be quite a few Sentras in our area for fairly reasonable prices. How are they in terms of reliability and longevity compared to the Civic and Corolla?

I'd be worried about buying a used Civic, they seem to get beat on. Also IMO our 2001 Civic was a junker. I guess its issues weren't so bad, but it just didn't seem that great to me (endless ac problems, complete exhaust system, no ABS, etc). But condition is everything, as is maintance.

I'd avoid Nissan but I'm a snob. If it's cheap enough, might be worth it. I don't think they are any more expensive to fix up than anything else.

Do you have a price range yet? That might help drive the vintage, which in turn would help find the problem spots.

Is the "big" Sentra engine the one that blasts itself to death with pre-cat dust, circa 2003?

Originally Posted By: supton
I'd be worried about buying a used Civic, they seem to get beat on. Also IMO our 2001 Civic was a junker. I guess its issues weren't so bad, but it just didn't seem that great to me (endless ac problems, complete exhaust system, no ABS, etc). But condition is everything, as is maintance.

I'd avoid Nissan but I'm a snob. If it's cheap enough, might be worth it. I don't think they are any more expensive to fix up than anything else.

Do you have a price range yet? That might help drive the vintage, which in turn would help find the problem spots.

$4K-$6K...My other daughter had a '98 Civic and she beat the tar outta that car and it just kept going...I was impressed! The only thing that ever went wrong with it was the driver's door power window motor went out...she drove it til she wanted a new vehicle...

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
They're not as well built.

Can you elaborate a bit?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Is the "big" Sentra engine the one that blasts itself to death with pre-cat dust, circa 2003?

That was the QR25DE (2.5L) which was fixed in the 05+ models. Happened more frequently with the Altimas and it was due to a terribly designed cat. The 2.5's are great.

OP, the Sentras are typically built a little cheaper, but they are great cars overall. I know many who have had great luck with them and lots-o-miles.

The new one drives nice and has good seats and dynamics but the engine is very unimpressive and grossly underpowered. I would look elsewhere.

If you want to avoid Ford - The Toyota Scion Xd is a good car with a manual trans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lugNutz
Originally Posted By: eljefino

That was the QR25DE (2.5L) which was fixed in the 05+ models. Happened more frequently with the Altimas and it was due to a terribly designed cat. The 2.5's are great.

OP, the Sentras are typically built a little cheaper, but they are great cars overall. I know many who have had great luck with them and lots-o-miles.

Aren't most Sentras equipped with the 1.8 liter engine?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The new one drives nice and has good seats and dynamics but the engine is very unimpressive and grossly underpowered. I would look elsewhere.

Most of the Sentras in her price range are 7 to 10 years old, so I don't know how they'd compare to the new ones...

I think they stuffed the 2.5L in the "sporty" model of the Sentra. Can't recall the designation. Someone will surely elaborate.

To those not recommending the Sentra, what would you recommend besides the Corolla and the Civic? Keep in mind she wants a small sedan with an automatic that's good on gas...

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I think they stuffed the 2.5L in the "sporty" model of the Sentra. Can't recall the designation. Someone will surely elaborate.

She probably won't want the 2.5 as the 1.8 would be better on gas...

Buying Used car is just a matter of luck. Almost like buying a new car:) I'm becoming non-plussed with my new Versa Note. On top of it dripping inky-black carbon out of the tailpipe and having a left pull bias to the steering, It took a hard right turn today on the Interstate when I had to stop quick - almost broke my fingers it jerked so hard. Guess I gotta try to bed the brakes tonight
smile.gif

Why do people come to a stop on the Interstate? No driving skills?

Last edited:
Corolla or Echo for pure reliability. Chain driven camshafts and Toyota automatic transmissions ... you aren't going to beat that for low maintenance to 200+K miles.

If you want fun - buy a civic.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
)
Why do people come to a stop on the Interstate? No driving skills?

I have made a few posts here about driving on I81 through Syracuse NY. It's ... quite common for people to just STOP on the interstate if they miss their exit.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Sentra SE-R Spec V.

I am going to make a plug for the Mazda3. Can be had in her price range, are a hoot to drive and have a timing chain. The drivetrain is proven reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back