Amsoil expensive-Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A oil filter from Amsoil for my 2006 Grand Cherokee is over $15.00.Part number is EAO42.Way too expensive for me.Joe
fruit.gif

Oh.........Joe Dually, I'll beat the rest to this one. Purolators, Wix, and others will run around 5 bucks and go about 5,000miles. Amsoil EA filters will go 25,000 miles. 5X5=$25.00 Oh well I guess the 15 dollar Amsoil filter won..
patriot.gif

How did I do Pablo?

Nothing prevents Puralotors, Wix, Motorcrafts from going for at least 10,000-15,000 or even 20,000 miles under the normal every day conditions.
If you disagree please list your reasons.

Fair enough...Filterguy or Big O Dave or anyone that knows what they are talking about...please respond to a 10 to 15 thou paper full flow filter change. Me thinks Maybe 7,500 miles tops, but I would think the paper would degrade after that...or be full of crude...any experts on this topic? Thanks for the rebuttle vad
itschy.gif

i have a wix on my car that is 19,000 miles old. im going to probably post a new topic with pictures when i change the filter, in about another 1000 miles.
look for it.

Sounds good, are you going to also post an oil analysis with some type of a particle count? 20,000 thou...wow
shocked.gif

Joe - yes they are expensive. So what's the point of your post? Not trying to be a wise guy - are you just letting us know that you looked the price up?

LCM - you did fine
smile.gif

I think some of the lower cost filters may last....but others have started to break down with age, cracks at the pleats and fiber degradation.

Nothing prevents Puralotors, Wix, Motorcrafts from going for at least 10,000-15,000 or even 20,000 miles under the normal every day conditions.

I use an oversized Purolator Premium Plus 24458 on my wife's 98 Civic and I change the oil every 6K miles and the filter 18K miles. But this car sees alot of highway driving. I wouldn't try this if she did most of her driving in the city.

The factory recomends I only change the filter on one of our vehicles every other oil change/ 15k miles or 1 year. No special filter requirements. I have been changing earlier, at every oil change But I think even a supertech can do it. The only reason I would buy a premium filter is if I needed good Anti drainback capabilities for a long haul.. but in this verticaly mounted application it is a redundent system.

If I drove .. 20-30 k miles a year I would try one of these new fandangled oil filters from Amsoil. But with my limited mileage my el cheapo filters seem to be providing adequate protection. I want to splurge I may spend 5 or 6 bucks on a pure one or find a compatable motorcraft.

Quantifying a difference in oil filters is a tough sale. Kudos to Amsoil for marketing a quality product I just see them as a marketing/profit center. There is money on the table from those who want "the best" and I don't blame Amsoil for marketing to them.

I think it's mainly a direct competition for the new M1 EP (?) filter. It's probably more expensive then the regular M1 filter ..which was about $11 locally. I imagine when the better Mobil filter shows up ..it will be a few $$ more.
dunno.gif

In my area ..it appears that AZ is the only place that carries them.

I don't understand why some guys are suprised by the price. It is the best ff fiter on the market. Of course its going to cost a bit more. I have to give amsoil credit for haveing the courage to inovate and go against the grain.
patriot.gif

Nope.
The problem is that there is very little innovation that doesn't warrant such a price hike.

quote:

Actually, I would think that the onus would be on you to provide data, research, or at the very least, your reasoning for such a statement.

Vad, How can you say there is little inovation? It is a totally unique media. They are only about 5 bucks more then the sdf line. Plus they will last twice as long. Am I missing something?

quote:

What media are those filters using

Assuming that the same media (media contruction, depth, etc.) are used in all filter applications within a line that has a filter with a 11,000+ miles OEM requirement, it seems to me it would be a valid argument.

Does anyone have these data?

Hey filter guy, what's your perspective?

I'm not willing to pay for a "totally unique media" when there is no indication that it will make any difference in removing insolubles as compared to the regular media as judged by the oil analysis.
quote:

Actually, I would think that the onus would be on you to provide data, research, or at the very least, your reasoning for such a statement.

Are you aware of the oil change intervals of the European Brands?
What media are those filters using?
Nough said.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you think it is not so??
You can run a supertech for 10k if you want to. I am running a Purolater premium plus and plan on approching 10k... without changing it. If I have the facilities when the run is complete I will cut it open.

I do believe this is a foo foo(you pay more to feel better) market though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back