help pick a filter for a 2AZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, I'm going to go out and get a filter for my mom's 04 Camry in a couple of days. I was wondering which one is the best filter for this application? Filters that are available are: Toyota, Purolator Premium Plus and I heard the Pureone was out, Napa Gold,and Champion Labs (Bosch,Supertech, STP, Valuecraft, etc.).Also while choosing the filter also help me choose the oil: 5W-30 or 10W-30 Mobil 1, Syntec, Pennzoil Platinum, Synpower, Quaker State synthetic, Maxlife Synthetic, Supertech synthetic, or other brand of synthetic or dino oil. Thank you.

I am a sucker for the OEM filters. If you can get the Toyota filter at a reasoable price, go with it. Otherwise, think about Motor Craft or AC.

I've used plenty of ST4967's in 1ZZ-FE's with nary a problem(same filter is used in a Camry).

My wife's 2002 Camry produces top-notch UOAs on Mobil 1 5W-30. I believe if you search the UOAs for Toyota's you'll see that the combination of the Mobil 1 5W-30 and the 2AZ-FE is one that works extremely well.

If you can find them the AC-Delco UPF1233 Ultraguard Gold, 25329391, filters produce good results. They are still listed at http://www.oewarehouse.com, ac-direct.

The Mobil 1 M1-103 is basically the same filter with a semi-sythetic media (the AC-Delco is a 100% synthetic media) and gives about the same results.

If you can find any (I bought a case) the 90915-10003 Toyota Denso filter also does an above-average job. The later filters aren't as nicely made.

The PL14477 Purolator One and the WIX 51394 appear to have above-average construction and the UOAs also turn out above average.

If you're going to use a WIX filter go with the 51396. This is a larger filter that WIX lists for the current generation Camry. The 51394 is the filter WIX recommends on the previous generation Camry along with current generation Corolla and Matrix 4cyl engines.

See the following link for a comparison of some of the filters available for the Camry. Camry filters

and another...

Camry filters

You will notice the WIX filter has a smaller filter element than all other filters due to their unique bypass valve setup. Though they have a smaller element I still think they are a great filter and I use them on my Camry.

Good catch on the WIX 51394.

I see you disassembled the Thailand-made 90915-YZZA1/2 filters.

I stocked up on the Japanese-made 90915-10003 while they were still available. The general construction of the two is very similar.

Have you found the filters made in Thailand to be the equal of the Japanese-made filters?

Toyota only has 2 size of filters for 4 cylinder engines. The One is 1/2" to 1" longer than the other one. Aside from that, the thread and gasket have the same specs. Any vehicle that uses the 1394 filter can use the 1396 filter if there's enough clearance.

I use Napa Gold (Wix) 1396 filters on my 2000 Camry 4 cylinder.

I took apart a Made in Thailand Denso filter found here.

I don't really know what to make of what I found though, so I can't comment too much about them. The filter depicted is the larger size filter for Toyota 4 cylinder engines, equivalent to the 1396 filter.

Listed in order of preference: Toyota ,Baldwin,Puralator,Champion Labs

Oil listed in order of preference: Mobil-1 5W40,10W30,0W40, Redline 5W30,10W30, Chevron Supreme 10W30,10W40,Havoline 10W30,10W40

i've used the following...

4967, 3614(3600 is the 3614 oversize, you can also use a motorcraft FL400S)

Personally I like the toyota depth media filter the best, it was pregreased, and when I cut it open I was impressed!

JohnBrowning, why the 10w-40? Will it bog down the engine like some people have reported with Syntec 0w-30 and a 4cyl Honda?

offtopic.gif

I see mom finally approved you changing the oil?

Nope, got it changed at Walmart today with me watching the guy's every move. And being the type of person that I am, I went up to the guy and asked for the remaining quart of oil
smile.gif
. That would be something that I suggest anyone that goes to Walmart for an oil change do. I think they get greedy, especially with oil that costs almost $5 a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back