Pour Point - MaxLife vs SynPower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the MSDS sheets for both MaxLife and SynPower on the Valvoline website and was surprised to find that the pour point for MaxLife was -45 whilst for Synpower, it was -42 in the 5w30 flavour.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife.pdf
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

My questions is this: for a cold Canadian winter, would MaxLife Synthetic Blend be a better choice than the Full Synthetic counterpart as far as cold starting is concerned?

Is it possible that it's a typo? I would have thought the synthetic would have better cold flow properties.

Interesting.

I'd still go with the SynPower over the MaxLife in the winter b/c of it's CCS cP values.

SynPower is 4300 @ -30°C
and MaxLife is 5900 @ -30°C

How cold do the winters get where you live?

At very cold temperatures, the Maxlife is thicker.

Use this calculator to determine the viscosity at any temperature.

You're asking the wrong question as PP as a spec is a very poor predictor if extreme cold performance. That's why the MRV and CCS spec's were developed.
Also if you want to maximize extreme cold performance you should be looking at 0W-30 oils which we have a few to choose from in Canada, and the best of the bunch is M1 AFE 0W-30.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Interesting.

I'd still go with the SynPower over the MaxLife in the winter b/c of it's CCS cP values.

SynPower is 4300 @ -30°C
and MaxLife is 5900 @ -30°C

How cold do the winters get where you live?

Where I am, I don't think it's quite gone down to -40 (even with the wind) but it's been close ...

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
You're asking the wrong question as PP as a spec is a very poor predictor if extreme cold performance. That's why the MRV and CCS spec's were developed.
Also if you want to maximize extreme cold performance you should be looking at 0W-30 oils which we have a few to choose from in Canada, and the best of the bunch is M1 AFE 0W-30.

Why do they include this spec if it is a poor predictor of performance?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mannyhs
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Why do they include this spec if it is a poor predictor of performance?

Probably for marketing reasons, but the educated consumer knows it's the MRV and CCS spec's that matter assuming you're actually starting the engine unaided at temp's that cold. If you're not then even the MRV and CCS spec's have no relavence; they don't in my climate.

And with regard to cold starting temp's, windchill will not lower oil temp's below ambient.

PC 5W-30 has very good cold spec's for a 5W oil but it's can't compete with a 0W oil. And the GP III based PC 0W-30 (MRV 24,800cP) is not in the same league with the PAO based M1 0W-30 and it's 13,250cP MRV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back