""Motorcraft FL1A is Junk"" LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was picking up some oil at napa today and the guy asks if i will need some filters. I tell him i have that covered with a case of motorcraft FL1a's. @ $3 ea
grin.gif

he tells me they are very crappy and will not compare to the wix he has there at $8 or whatever. the motorcraft is terrible for your engine

what a moron, i informed him the motorcraft has a purolator media, good ADBV, and a bypass valave in the end of the filter. what an idiot
yes the wix filters are nice, but the motorcraft is 98% as good and costs 50% less

Napa is very proud of their parts. You can buy a Wix elsewhere about 1/3 cheaper if you decide to use one. I think I paid $5 something last time for a Wix 51515 which is their FL1A cross.

Yeah, those junky Motorcraft oil filters suck, especially the FL-820S. What kind of idiot would want a silicone ADBV? A threaded end BPV?.....who is MC trying to kid?...give me a dome-end clicker bypass anyday. Finally, the Purolator media???.......make me sick just thinking about it.

I'd never use a piece-o-crap Motorcraft. It's all Fram, all the time for me.

Quote:
Napa is very proud of their parts. You can buy a Wix elsewhere about 1/3 cheaper if you decide to use one. I think I paid $5 something last time for a Wix 51515 which is their FL1A cross.

Aren't those cheap Wix filters I see on line for $5 the Napa Silver equivalent... not the Gold?

Where online can I get the Napa Gold equivalent in Wix for $5?

Back to the topic.
FL2005's are like just over $4 at Walmart.
Why should I choose Wix?

The Wix filters serve the primary purpose of providing "mom & pops" type parts places with a unique product to offer. Thus, you won't find Wix at major retailers, with the exception of repackaged Napa Gold filters.

I'm the type of person that likes to have choices. When I need oil, I go to Walmart because they offer much more choice than not only the small guys, but even Advanced or Autozone. [Now filter wise, they suck (only Fram & ST).] However, I totally mistrust businesses that only sell one product...since I can't expect them to be objective about what their product does. When a counter guy tells me they only carry Wix, Wix is the best filter available, Mobil-Purolator-Denso-ACDelco-Motorcraft (etc.) all suck, and that by not buying his $8 Wix filter I am an idiot...well, I don't spend my money there.

That's the reason I don't like Wix.

(As for Amsoil, well...I don't buy products from Avon and Watkins either. If they put their stuff on the shelves of retailers so that I could buy without the MLM baloney, then I'd seriously consider them).

I don't dislike Wix, but I don't think they are all that great. For one, for smaller applications like mine, the BPV takes up way too much space. It has 25% less surface area than Purolator.
Are we just mob thinking into Wix is the best and Fram is the worst?
I personally use Purolator. I like the fact that they stuff their filters with media like they got it on sale or something.
wink.gif

So what are the advantages if any in the design, materials etc of the Wix oil filters over the comparable Motorcraft?
I've calculated the Wix price after shipping for a box of 12 (shipping costs for a single one are more than the cost of the filter) and it is exactly the same as Walmart charges for a single Motorcraft.

quote:

(As for Amsoil, well...I don't buy products from Avon and Watkins either. If they put their stuff on the shelves of retailers so that I could buy without the MLM baloney, then I'd seriously consider them).

offtopic.gif

Last time I was at Van's Auto Parts (I think they might be local to Austin, TX, it is a parts house for 'professionals', like NAPA and CARQUEST), I was surprised they have Amsoil on the shelf, next to M1 and Redline! There was no price labels, and I was there on my lunch break with my buddy to pick up some struts, so I didn't bother to ask.

I prefer Purolators, at least in my application. The silicone ADBV makes the Motorcraft just as good or better then the wix in almost every way. A lot of the guys at NAPA seem to be really full of it when it comes to their products.

T-Keith,

Don't forget, they are told by the manager to always recommend the more expensive part to the customer.

It doesn't matter if it is oil, filters, brakes, spark plugs, alternator.....etc, etc.

quote:

So what are the advantages if any in the design, materials etc of the Wix oil filters over the comparable Motorcraft?
I've calculated the Wix price after shipping for a box of 12 (shipping costs for a single one are more than the cost of the filter) and it is exactly the same as Walmart charges for a single Motorcraft.

My guess is that it depends on the model. Looking at an FL1A vs. a Wix 51515, the Wix has a heavier case and a silicone ADBV. On other models the Motorcraft has the silicone valve too.

In the Grease filter study he made comment about how the Motorcraft media on one particular model he tested didn't seem very efficient. I don't think that applies to every model though or an equivalent Purolator since Ford specifies the media that Purolator uses in the MC filters.

quote:

I don't dislike Wix, but I don't think they are all that great. For one, for smaller applications like mine, the BPV takes up way too much space. It has 25% less surface area than Purolator.

JZ ..what are you referring to here? The holes? Otherwise the bpv is a flat piece that can't take up too much room
confused.gif
dunno.gif

I'm sure he's talking about a Camry sized filter, like pictured in this post. The element is a half inch shorter than the competition.

The bypass valve is a module that fits in to the base of the filter. I am guessing they (Wix) use the same size module interchangably for many filters, so consequently on a filter that is small to begin with, the bypass module takes up a lot of room.

quote:

I'm sure he's talking about a Camry sized filter, like pictured in this post. The element is a half inch shorter than the competition.

The bypass valve is a module that fits in to the base of the filter. I am guessing they (Wix) use the same size module interchangably for many filters, so consequently on a filter that is small to begin with, the bypass module takes up a lot of room.

My fellow Cammie owner read my mind
bowdown.gif
grin.gif

I think you are correct on the common size BPV too.

BPV_SPACE% = (Constant / Overall_filter_size) x 100%

You can see how the small (filter) guys get screwed by this design
blush.gif
. May not be an issue at all for the huge filters, like the 51515.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back