Wix's custom filter 57002 created for Mazda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got tired of trying to figure out what was special about Wix's new 57002 filter specfic for only Mazda Skyactiv engines. I know it doesn't have an ADBV and has a 15 micron rating, but that doesn't tell me much. There has to be something special in order for Wix to go and create a new filter while everyone else didn't.

I emailed Wix Tech Support and asked for information. I'll post anything I get back in this thread.

Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
Originally Posted By: badtlc
.... I know it doesn't have an ADBV and has a 15 micron rating, but that doesn't tell me much. ...

What does 15 micron rating mean? Are you talking its 50% @ 15 microns using ISO 4548-12 test procedure? Or 'absolute' which might mean its 99% @ 15 microns???

http://www.lenntech.com/library/fine/absolute/absolute-nominal-filters.htm

I wish I knew. Wix and Oreilly's site just say "rating: 15 micron"

Wix's regular oil filters are typically 95% @ 20 microns, unless Mazda specified they want better media.

This is why I asked. I'd really like to know if Mazda spec'd out something super high. And it is impossible to get specs on OEM filters.

Last edited:
from wix: No Beta just nominal rating.

Part Number: 57002
UPC Number: 765809570023
Principle Application: Various Mazda (13-15)
Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.827
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 11-14
Nominal Micron Rating: 15

Gasket Diameters

Number

O.D.

I.D.

Thk.
Attached 2.464 2.257 0.2

OK, I just got off the phone with a Wix person, not in engineering
frown.gif
and this was what I learned:

With regards to the 57002:
- Wix can only publicly say the threads are different for the 57002 filter.
- No comment on what "nominal 15 micron rating" mean. Not quantification of percentage or anything. No beta ratios will be published.
- Wix took the OEM filter, tested it, and made a filter that was AT LEAST equal to the OEM in every way, including filtration efficiency.

I will start another thread about some other information I learned.

^^^^^ "Nominal" here may mean its 50% @ 15 microns, not sure. Sometimes its customary to state the half (50%) point as nominal.
If true, that means this filter uses the same media regular Wix and NAPA Gold filters use in all likelihood, since regular media is good to 95% @ 20 microns using ISO 4548-12.

^^^^^ "Nominal" here may mean its 50% @ 15 microns, not sure. Sometimes its customary to state the half (50%) point as nominal.
If true, that means this filter uses the same media regular Wix and NAPA Gold filters use in all likelihood, since regular media is good to 95% @ 20 microns using ISO 4548-12.

The guy said he could not quantify the rating in any way due to disclosure restrictions. I asked if that was what it meant.

They list beta ratios for several other Wix filters and they are NOT the same. There seems to be no standard Wix filter media.

Last edited:

That would be my take too.

The guy said he could not quantify the rating in any way due to disclosure restrictions. I asked if that was what it meant.

"Disclosure restrictions" ...? Wow, is it some super secret or maybe it's too bad to show the consumer?

problem is there is no regular media for Wix & Napa Golds.

Very often we see beta ratios of 2/20=6/20, which translates to 50%@6 microns & 95%@20, which indicates they use the same filter paper/glass blend in Wix and NAPA Gold. Are there some exceptions? Probably.

I finally got my hands on these. They are made in Mexico for anyone interested. Does anyone know if Wix has a mexico factory?

I think these might be a filter they buy from someone else. The can is white and it just seems a bit off from a typical Wix filter.

.... They are made in Mexico for anyone interested. Does anyone know if Wix has a mexico factory?....

Yes, as the link shows. And some Wix/Napa Gold spin on applications are made there.

Looking at said 57002 on the website it looks very similar to the new(ish) 57356 application for Honda which has the redesigned base plate geometry. Therefore I believe it to be a Wix in house made filter.

http://www.wixfilters.com/About/PlantLocations.aspx

Sorry to revive this thread but I just saw it linked over on a Mazda specific forum. While the 57002 might be custom for Mazda (which it's not anymore), I think it's a little foolish to say it's the only aftermarket filter that should be used due to specifications.

Mazda hasn't released a TSB on their oil filters either. If there was a genuine "problem" using aftermarket filters they would, similarly to how Hyundai released a TSB explaining that some aftermarket filters create a start-up rattle.

This is my 2nd CX-5 and I've used various oil filters, never an issue. Granted, this is a sample size of 1, but if there was a legitimate design feature that made the Mazda and Wix filters special, a problem would have shown itself by now.

Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back