small dent in oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Wix have thread end bypass where the element moves up into the dome end to allow bypass? If so, you may be better off not using it unless it is a GM application not needing a bypass. I was in NAPA today looking for 9 mm nuts. They had their filters on sale for $3.29.

Don't use it!!! The dent weakens the metal and MAY cause a leak from pressure pulses in the oil system.

You might be able to hoodwink your supplier into taking it back. " hey, it was there when I took it out of the box."

If you use it and the filter leaks in the area of the dent all Wix warranties are null and void. Read the Box.

(this is speculation here):

I would think that the integrity of the can is dependant upon the whole structure being uniform. I'm sure that the burst strength even impacts the radius of the curve at the bottom as far as the engineers are concerned. Distorting the metal weakens it substantially.

That being said....I've used dented filters from time to time. The burst strength is probably still within your oil pressure limits ..but you're still throwing the dice (although well in your favor, IMHO).

I did the same thing as ted s. I dropped a Napa Gold last week. It only put a small dent in the grip end, not enough to worry about. Mine is a 1040 for a GM vehicle that has the bypass on the block , so I plan on using it anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by Big O Dave:

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
You can cut it open for a first hand experience of the quality of a Wix filter.

I second that suggestion. After cutting open a lot of virgin filters, I have yet to find one made better than a Wix.

Why cut another Wix apart? There are tons of pictures of Wix filters all over.

As Pete C says ... no filter company will warranty an engine if the fitler is dented. Filter companies don't build filters with dents in the can.

What you need to consider is the impulse pressure with every start up of the motor. The lack of oil flowing, to a sudden burst of pressure "flexes" the filter can. This is not something you can visually see. Over time the flexing of the shell itself, where there is a dent in the shell regardless of it's location, can ultimately impact that dent to become a crack and leak oil.

In a lab with bigger filters, Cat, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, etc you can see the "baseplate deflection" which is where the oil hits the solid area of the baseplate as opposed to the holes that allows oil into the filter and when the filter is "pulsed" (simulating start up) you will see the filter try to come away from the base. The gasket keeps it sealed to the base.

However the filter shell sees this same sudden increase in pressure as well. Hence the potential problem with a dented can.

Filter companies have a lot of experience with these type "leaks"...

It's your nickle if you use a dented filter. If you're lucky and it doesn't leak, great. If it does......

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
As long as there isn't a sharp crease in the metal I think you will be alright.

So you'll be there when the filter leaks helping out..
tongue.gif

Any dent in the dome end is a "sharp crease" due to the stamping of the shell itself. Cut the filter open and look at the "dent" from the inside and consider the pressure the filter is subjected to over time and the flexing that takes place..

Which is why filter companies don't warranty a dented filter. And why would that be? One because the warranty is for "manufacturing defects". Two, becuase every year filters are sent in dented and customers get the warranty letter back saying sorry.

So anyone claiming go ahead and give it a try, how often have you used a dented filter and are you willing to take the risk?

Nothing like bad advise when it's not your car.

Thanks guys. Now I don't feel so anal about opening each filter box at the store and checking for dents. I have actually found some that were already dented. (I even look at the paint job, but don't tell anyone.)

quote:

Originally posted by tuong:
take one for the team and use it, tell us the results, never know until you try

You could drop your from arms length height onto the dome end of the can and dent it. You take one for the team. Let us know how you do with your engine..

While its probably ok to use, I'd be uneasy about putting it on my vehicle. I would consider donating it to Goodwill or a similar type place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back