2007 Honda Element 6037mi, M1 0W20 AFE UOA (K24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA report!

Forgot I got this analysis done a while ago:

2a9qmwk.jpg

6,037mi on the sample, OLM reported 0% (-137mi, actually). Oil was 5 months old so it had all the super cold polar vortex miles.

Air filter is a 2 years, 19.5k old FRAM.
Oil filter is OEM A01. I did not replace the filter, refilled it with QSUD 0W20.
Prior two oil changes used the same M1 0W20 AFE.

The car is mostly a short trip or stop and go in the city driving, except for longer road trips (I'd estimate once a month). In the super cold weather this year (under 20F), I typically let it warm up a tiny bit while I got settled in.

Overall, pretty uneventful UOA, I think, how about you all? Thanks for reading!

New viscosity for that oil is KV100=8.5, yours is down a bit, might be fuel dilution doing that. Other wear metals are low, nice! Seems like you could have topped off with a M1 0w-40 to get viscosity up a bit and gone another 6,000 miles.

That's not a bad idea at all. Part of the reason I'm running the UOA is to see if I can extend the OCIs.

Assuming a 5qt sump, I could start with 4.5qt on the initial fill (about half way on the dipstick), then when the OLM hits 15%, I add .5-1 qt of) 0W30/0W40/5W30 to boost the TBN a bit and bring up the viscosity and reset the OLM. Then when the OLM hits 15% again, I'll be at about 10k and I can start over (with a new filter).

Widman calculator ( http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Mixtures.html ) estimates that at 100C, 90% of the depleted 7.5 cSt mixed with 10% 0W40 at 13.5 cSt would yield a 7.93 cSt.

You can easily run 10,000 mile oil change intervals with any good synthetic oil in your Element even without doing UOA's. Honda's are just not that hard on oil.

Defiantly can increase the UOA's to between 8000 to 10,000.

M-1 0w20 AFE is an excellent year-round oil that I've been using for several years now. My last UOA was at 9200

If you increase your UOA to that area, I would suggest getting a Fram ULTRA filter, wich is much praised here by BITOG'ers, and can easily do 10K plus UOA's At just under $9 at WalMart, the ULTRA is "best value for the buck" category. If you decide on doing shorter UOA's, you should be able to use it through two oil changes (2 X 7500 = 15,000), because its guaranteed for 15K by Fram.

I know that the Fram Ultras are known to be good filters, with significantly better filtration than OEM filters, but other than that, is there any reason not to keep using the OEM?

The owner's manual specifies changing the filter every other oil change, so I'm already using the filter to 12k or so.

Regardless, I'm going to push my intervals to about 10k, or 100% -> 15% on the OLM twice.

The Fram Ultra can also be used for two OCI's (totaling up to 15K). In most cases the ULTRA has better efficiency than most, if not all OEM's (99+ percent 20 microns).

At under $9 at WalMart, its been said to be "the best bang for the buck" of any high-end, long OCI filter.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
is there any reason not to keep using the OEM?

The paint job on the Ultra is more rugged than most, so it lasts longer to salt exposure, and the holding capacity is higher than OEM, so you could probably run them longer than the rated 15,000 miles or 2 FCI if you wanted to get the most out of the filter.

The K24 likely won't care what filter you use since they wear so well anyways, but the Ultra surely filters more out of the oil than the OEM filter.

Thank you for this UOA, I am running this oil with a Fram Ultra on my K24 next OCI. That AL is a little higher than normal, but not bad considering the conditions.

Originally Posted By: deven
You can easily run 10,000 mile oil change intervals with any good synthetic oil in your Element even without doing UOA's. Honda's are just not that hard on oil.

Depends on the Honda.

Ya, none of these newer K or R series engines are "easy on oil". This engine sheared the oil from ~8.5 cST to 7.5 after 6k miles in 5 months. If he had gone to 10k it'll probably be close to 6 cST which is near out of spec.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: deven

Depends on the Honda.

HKPolice said:
Ya, none of these newer K or R series engines are "easy on oil". This engine sheared the oil from ~8.5 cST to 7.5 after 6k miles in 5 months. If he had gone to 10k it'll probably be close to 6 cST which is near out of spec.

Yeah, and it would have probably returned the same wear numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HKPolice

I think just about every UOA I have seen with M1 0W-20 has shown some shear. It seems to do this right off the bat then stabilize. I don't think it would ever get to 6 cSt unless there was a lot of fuel present.

7.6 cSt: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...i-2#Post3410105

7.2-7.5 cSt: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3433883/1

7.4 cSt: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=163019&Number=2404218

7.6 cSt: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55916

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back