Harley-Davidson Oil Capacities

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my current motorcycles, I only use MCV.
Simply because they all have a shared sump, with only 1 hole.
As previously stated, the MCV is an outstanding performer in every respect.

In all my other vehicles.
I use a mixture of ATF, Manual transmission fluid and gear oil, and now I'm trialling the coolant(so far so good).
All Amsoil products.
Currently, the only application where there's a different lube in a vehicle is in the rear end of a performance car that Amsoil don't have a suitable lube available, in a small enough quantity.
And I don't want to buy a pale of oil that I can't use in anything else, for an application that only requires

Further to your quest regarding fluid capacities and alternative lubrication solutions.

Please forgive me, because I had forgotten all about it previously.
There maybe a minor complication with running the gear lube in the transmission.
That is the potential smell of the hot gear oil, which in traffic on a hot day may be a little off putting under the right circumstances.
Just putting it out there for consideration.

I recall a while back, one fellow I had the pleasure to meet shied away from the gear lube for the above reason, as his lovely wife didn't like the smell of the gear oil when stopped in traffic.
Perhaps he had a small weep, or he didn't work clean and left a small amount on the outside of his Harley??

Now he had an alternative and interesting solution for the transmission whine, instead of the gear oil.
What he did, was put the Amsoil SAE 60 motorcycle oil(MCS) into his transmission.
Apparently, and according to him there were no problems with longevity or operation of the transmission with the straight SAE 60 oil, and it ran quiet like it previously did with the gear oil.
And there were no unpleasant smells.
I don't know any other details, but that was the ultimate conclusion which worked well for him(and his wife).
I personally think it's a viable alternative.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
I guess it meets the Gl-1 rating that most multi use motorcycle oils have.So it should work. This is from their advertisement, "Amsoil SAE 60 Motorcycle Oil features superior heat resistance and wear protection. It is shear-stable and helps maintain proper oil pressure in elevated temperatures. Amsoil Synthetic SAE 60 Motorcycle Oil stops viscosity breakdown (loss), protects gears and chains, and meets SAE 140, API GL-1 gear oil requirements. It is multi-functional and fulfills the requirements of both domestic and foreign motorcycles."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back