Comparing two Mobil1 5w30 synthetic oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks.

I am new here. I am comparing two Mobil1 5w30 synthetic engine oils available for the european market.

The first one is this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobil-Formula-151054-Fully-Synthetic/dp/B004RCNOBO

It says FULLY SYNTHETIC down there.

And the other one is this:
http://www.amazon.de/Mobil-Formula-5W-30-Motor%C3%B6l-Liter/dp/B008EX7N78/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405005590&sr=8-2&keywords=mobil1+5w30+esp

Which says SHC SYNTHETIC TECHNOLOGY

Apparently the first one is promoted on the UK market and the second one on the German.
I am puzzled, because it is the same brand, the same viscosity, the same production facility it was made and still there is a difference on the label. Is it the same oil under different description OR are there differences between the ingredients and the technology? Is SHC fully synthetic?

In Germany only if the oils are from group IV you are allowed to call them "synthetic". Synthetic technology implies that the oil is a group III. In short both oils are the same and they are not fully synthetic.

They are both the same but in Germany they are not allowed to sell HC group III oil as full synthetic. This is not the case in rest of the world so elsewhere they sell them as synthetics. Would one consider groupe III oils as real synthetics is debatable. For sure they can perform good as PAO synthetics at lower price.

Thank you for the prompt responses, guys.
Here is the deal, I bought this oil for my 2009 Honda Accord (Acura TSX in America), 2.0l gasoline engine. The point is that if I knew it was not fully synthetic I could have gone with Mobil Super 3000 5w40. Now comparing the Mobil1 ESP 5w30 "fully synthetic" with the other Mobil products (and other brands as well) I feel I have paid too much for something that is not worth the money. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
I'm using this Mobil Super 3000 x1 in wife's Punto, not a bad oil but M1 you bought is in a different league. M1 use some PAO in it's base oil even though it isn't full synthetic. If you want cheaper but great oil consider Shell helix ultra in the future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Proxyon
Here is the deal, I bought this oil for my 2009 Honda Accord (Acura TSX in America), 2.0l gasoline engine. The point is that if I knew it was not fully synthetic I could have gone with Mobil Super 3000 5w40. Now comparing the Mobil1 ESP 5w30 "fully synthetic" with the other Mobil products (and other brands as well) I feel I have paid too much for something that is not worth the money. Correct me if I am wrong.

Pricing issues aside, the ESP is a low SAPS oil, required for modern diesel engines with DPF. Why would you even want it in your gasoline Accord to begin with?

So are you actually telling me that there is a real benefit in choosing M1 ESP "fully synthetic" instead of M3000 x1 that you use for your wife's car? Better for the car? Better milage? Postponed need for oil change? Change it on every 20000 kms instead of 10k?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Pricing issues aside, the ESP is a low SAPS oil, required for modern diesel engines with DPF. Why would you even want it in your gasoline Accord to begin with?

Because it was promoted in the German sites as "GREAT SYNTHETIC OIL" for both diesel and gasoline engines!

Postponed need for oil change? Change it on every 20000 kms instead of 10k?

Hardly. ESP has a lower add pack to protect DPF, so it won't last in service any longer than full SAPS oil. If anything, it'll actually be spent sooner.

Because it was promoted in the German sites as "GREAT SYNTHETIC OIL" for both diesel and gasoline engines!

Sounds like great marketing.
smile.gif

Some Euro petrols required mid saps c2 oils, like newer FIAT petrols. Not sure about Honda though.

Actually, ESP is recommended for all gasoline engines in the EU.
ULSG, tough emission standards etc.
For example, VW dealerships are using VW504.00/507.00 in all DI engines in EU.
With gas in EU, ESP will not have any issues.

Where in Europe?
If it is EU, use it with no issues. What is oil change interval on that car?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Actually, ESP is recommended for all gasoline engines in the EU.
ULSG, tough emission standards etc.
For example, VW dealerships are using VW504.00/507.00 in all DI engines in EU.

Yes, they do it to standardize and cover all their engines with a single spec. "One size fits all" kind of a thing, so that the dealership does not have to stock too many lubricants.

Quote:

With gas in EU, ESP will not have any issues.

I did not say he will have issues, but I wouldn't go out of my way and pay extra for it, because I don't think he'll gain much benefit in his gasoline Honda.

One thing this ESP does have going for it is very low NOACK though, so maybe that would help with oil consumption issues, if his engine experienced any.

If it is EU, use it with no issues.

That wasn't the question. The question was: was it worth the extra money compared to another M1 product?

So are you actually telling me that there is a real benefit in choosing M1 ESP "fully synthetic" instead of M3000 x1 that you use for your wife's car? Better for the car? Better milage? Postponed need for oil change? Change it on every 20000 kms instead of 10k?

Well only if your Honda is spec'd for such oil. If Honda is spec'd for ACEA A3 then M1 0w40 is better version of Mobil 3000. What oil is spec'd for your car?

That wasn't the question. The question was: was it worth the extra money compared to another M1 product?

Well, IDK, up to him.
I would say Honda spec 5W30 oil in the EU, not sure is it ACEA A1.

Sounds like great marketing.
smile.gif

Sounds like a real scam and legal money robbery!

Where in Europe?
If it is EU, use it with no issues. What is oil change interval on that car?

10 000 kms or one year whatever comes first. That is under normal operating conditions.

Yeah. That was the question. Because I was offered M1 0w40 "fully synthetic" again for even higher price. Since Honda Accord/Acura TSX recommends 5w20 I was a little afraid to go with that thicker oil. However, in Germany where I bought the car from they put 5w40 oil (in Honda dealerships). The explanation: "Well, here in Germany people drive really harsh on the highways, so speeds like 160 km/h are not something uncommon. Your Honda will have better protection if you use 5w40 oil instead of lower viscosity."
So I decided to be somewhere between. Even though now is a summer, temperatures go 30+ Celsius and perhaps 5w40 would have been a better choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back