Valvoline VR1 Racing Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
VR1 synthetic has no more zddp than other oils on the Porsche approved list, so it won't destroy your cats. But you should only run an oil that Porsche approves for that engine. Does a Cayenne require the A40 approval for oil?

If that's the approval rating, yes. I don't know off the top what its called exactly, but that sounds familiar from when I was reading through my manual

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, there are a few issues. I wouldn't worry about the phosphorous levels, really. What's the HTHS of this oil? I bet it's not 3.5 or above, as specified. That's the real issue that I was getting at - certain HDEOs would be a more "reasonable facsimile" of an approved lube than VR1. VR1's TBN is sufficient for moderate OCIs, but it's not an extended drain lube like the approved lubes are. Personally, from the list of your vehicle, if I were to use the VR1, I'd try it in the Jaguar.

Be careful of dedicated racing oils. VR1 is a bit different, but there are some with very low TBNs that aren't suitable for long OCIs, and some of them have ZDDP levels that are way too high.

How long could I run it for then? Some users have used it for 5k with no problems, but even most conventional oils will last that long lol...
One bitog user posted he was going to use it for 10k. Trying to get in touch with him actually...

Last edited:
I'd want to run a UOA if I were running something that out of spec. You don't want it shearing down too much, and you want to see how the TBN holds up. Given the sump capacity, 5000 miles might be a good starting point; I'd just hope the vehicle doesn't shear the oil too much.

I'd want to run a UOA if I were running something that out of spec. You don't want it shearing down too much, and you want to see how the TBN holds up. Given the sump capacity, 5000 miles might be a good starting point; I'd just hope the vehicle doesn't shear the oil too much.

The TBN is almost the same to Mobil 1 (factory recommended). The additives vary somewhat, but overall the whole pack is far greater than Mobil 1
VR1 has no boron or magnesium vs M1, but a LOT more calcium, zinc, phos, moly and sodium
I don't have any idea what these mean.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28365
It's the only case I have so a UOA is not possible. Thoughts?
I'm thinking I might just use the quarts as top up if it's that outside the realm of approved oils.

The HTHS might be a bit of a concern. Personally, I'd just run the stuff in the Jag, for which it's a far better fit.

I wouldn't call the additive package "better" than M1. It's different. If it were "better" than Mobil would simply copy VR1's additive package. It's not like they don't have the resources to do so.
wink.gif

The HTHS might be a bit of a concern. Personally, I'd just run the stuff in the Jag, for which it's a far better fit.

I wouldn't call the additive package "better" than M1. It's different. If it were "better" than Mobil would simply copy VR1's additive package. It's not like they don't have the resources to do so.
wink.gif

Thing is the Jag may be gone before the next change
frown.gif
hence why I was asking...

Last edited:
Im thinking about running it in my 4.9 f150 flat tappet engine, which was made for zinc. If i can find it on sale.

The real concern I'd have is about warranty. The Porsche spec isn't met, since it's a bit thin. You already know not to reign in the OCI a bit with the stuff. I don't doubt it would work, but it's not like it's a thousand dollars worth of oil that you have no choice but to use up in something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back