Polaris AGL alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to change the transmission/transaxle oil in my '14 Ranger 570. I don't use Polaris lubricants so I have been searching for alternatives.

I emailed Klotz (that's the oil I use) to see what they had to say and got this responce:

"Chris,

What you are looking for would be the KE-970. That is our 75w/80 transmission lubricant which can also be used in the gearcase.

If you have any further questions you can always contact me directly.

Thanks,

James Perkins | Sales Representative
Klotz Synthetic Lubricants, Inc.
7424 Freedom Way | Fort Wayne, IN 46818
P 260 490-0489 ext 222 | F 260 490-0490
Mastering the Science of Synthetic Lubrication Since 1959"

I also emailed Royal Purple and received this reply:

"Good Afternoon Chris,

Polaris, though makers of excellent ATVs and UTVs, provides ambiguous and occasionally changing fluid recommendations for their vehicles. Our recommendations are based on what we could determine based on the scant information available on the Polaris lubricants, and field use by many of our customers. If warranty compliance is a concern for you on your 2014 Polaris Ranger 570 we recommended sticking to the OE AGL Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant.

Once warranty compliance is no longer a concern to replace the Polaris AGL Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant the Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle) is the recommended product.
Synchromax: http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/synchromax-manual-transmission-fluid/

Judging by the MSDS for the AGL Gearcase Lube, it is a light viscosity fluid (very similar to an automatic transmission fluid). I have seen reference to people using a Dexron III fluid, but it is not optimal. Our Synchromax fluid is what we generally recommend for gearboxes that specify an ATF-like fluid, as it is of the appropriate viscosity, but contains additional additives that protect gear faces and sprockets and chains found in manual transmissions and transfer cases.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple, and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Cody Bartkowiak
Automotive, Technical Support"

I can get the Royal Purple locally but will probably order the Klotz just to keep all the lubricants the same brand, I'm OCD like that.

Just thought I would share to increase the available options for those looking to replace Polaris lubricants with other brands.

Polaris bikes are easy on fluids and oil. But the front diff fails more often than not when non polaris fluid is used.

I ran what I wanted in the engine, trans, and coolant, but I ran the polaris fluids in thw diffs.

My 98 sportsman had 3200 miles when I sold it...and I beat on it. My 2010 800 had 1500 miles on it when I switched hobbies, and it was near new.

Take it for what its worth, but when I had anyone with a polaris wanting service at our dealership, I sacrificed the sale and was honest. We would do the work, but polaris bikes demand the correct fluid for the front end.

Pennzoil Synchromesh in the rear transaxle, John Deere Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard in the front diff. The Gators have the exact same Hilliard front diff as the Rangers and they use the Hy-Gard.

A gallon of Hy-Gard is about the same price as a quart of the Polaris fluid. No, seriously.

Good info, I'm also looking for an alternative for AGL to use in my RZR 800's transmission and transfer case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro

A gallon of Hy-Gard is about the same price as a quart of the Polaris fluid. No, seriously.

01.gif

+1 on that. I just picked up 2 gallons of Low Viscosity Hy-Gard from my local JD dealer a couple weeks ago for my tractor. $18 a gallon. Last I checked a Polaris dealer, they wanted $16 a quart for their stuff.

AMSOIL says their synthetic chaincase & gear oil is a replacement for the AGL.

Back before Polaris had their own line of "Personal Lubricants" that they use on their customers. They would state to use 30 HD Motor Oil in their Automatic transmissions. They are same since they came out and really only consist of a chain and gears. Its a big transfer case. I tried ATF. their AGL and multiple motor oil weights and they all work fine.

Polaris Oil is designed primarily for one purpose and that is to make Polaris money. Think about it, how many want you to keep driving your current vehicle? You are the only one; the dealer and the OEM are only interested in selling you expensive parts, expensive service or a new vehicle. They want a monopoly on your business and their owners’ manuals and dealer propaganda are designed to affect that end.

All,
Here is a cut and paste of a response I got from Amsoil on 7/15/2014 regarding my search for a single high quality fluid for use in both the front drive differential and rear transmission/final drive of my 2012 Ranger 800XP. Just for your information.

Originally Posted by Jaketye
So am I reading this right? I can use this one oil in both my front diff gearcase and the rear transmission/final drive on my 2012 Ranger 800XP. I'm looking to avoid the mysterious Polaris lubricant and get the best protection?performance possible. Thanks.
Yes that is correct.

Here is the info direct from AMSOIL tech services.....

Michael;
I hope this clarifies the recommendations.

AMSOIL ATH replaces both;
Front Drive Fluid/Demand Drive 2877922 and
AGL 2878068-2878069 (Gearcase lubricant and transmission fluid)

AMSOIL SVG replaces ATV Angle drive fluid 2876160 and 2872276

Byron Selbrede
Technical Services

AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880
E-MAIL:[email protected]
PHONE:715-392-7101
FAX:715-392-3097

Thanks for the info, I've been using Amsoil ATL as a demand drive replacement but the ATH looks closer to what the hillard clutch system wants, I'll give it a try next time I change mine.

I contacted Maxima Oils and their alternative to Polaris AGL is their MTL 85 transmission oil.

I went with 75w-90 instead of AGL after owner recommendations.
Did use the demand drive in the front differential. Can change it 3 times with 1 qt.

My apologies. I'm going to be referencing this thread to others and don't want errors within to go uncommented on.

Po AGL has been shown to be basically a low viscosity (0-20) oil. Many use ATF with success as an alternative, and there is even better reason (better additives) to use hydraulic fluid. The JD fluid gets mentioned often.

Advice from many dealers/ rebuilders is, because AGL is used in a chain environment (at least sometimes), to never use high viscosity gear case oils.

Ergo i believe the Klotz guy quoted by OP is close, but think the Royal Purple guy seems dead on vis a vis additives are key

Ymmv. Personally I lean towards a low vis motor oil with a strong wear package, and regular changes, but im still considering

Last edited:
I can tell you I ve been buying Polaris ATVs since 1992 and have bought over 40 of them and owned 25 at one time, I am down to 12 now. I know Polaris and have had them all apart. Do Not put Gear Oil in the transmission. There is a silent chain in there which is a three link thick chain, gear oil creates too much drag. It will work for awhile then it will start clunking and banging and you have to remove the transmission, split it and replace the chain which is a major job.
The gear oil AGL is not real fussy and the Polaris Transmissions are about indestructible. About any motor oil will work in there, although the lighter the better.
I like ATF +4 Dodge ATF in there but ant ATF will work really.
They are not real demanding, just do not use Gear oil.
When I d buy one and pull the dip stick and smell gear oil I knew it wouldn't be long and the clunking would start.
It's too much drag. It's a chain driven transfer case not a gear box. It's full of gears but the chain makes it go forward, reverse is all gear driven. Also don't be alarmed by metal shavings in the drain plug, every Polaris I owned since new has a bunch of shavings come out on the magnet it's normal.

Not sure what 'gear oil' you are talking about but 75w90 is about the same as 10w40.

I have alot of riding friends and yes everyone has their opinions and ways of doing things. I know one RZR with over 6000 miles that has had nothing but 75w90 in the trans and no issues. I also know a RZR with 9000 miles that has had nothing but AGL.. no issues.

Not sure how similar or different the smaller ATV transmissions are compared to the 1000 and Turbo trans.

Originally Posted by dafish
My apologies. I'm going to be referencing this thread to others and don't want errors within to go uncommented on.

Po AGL has been shown to be basically a low viscosity (0-20) oil. Many use ATF with success as an alternative, and there is even better reason (better additives) to use hydraulic fluid. The JD fluid gets mentioned often.

Advice from many dealers/ rebuilders is, because AGL is used in a chain environment (at least sometimes), to never use high viscosity gear case oils.

Ergo i believe the Klotz guy quoted by OP is close, but think the Royal Purple guy seems dead on vis a vis additives are key

Ymmv. Personally I lean towards a low vis motor oil with a strong wear package, and regular changes, but im still considering

Allow me to correct my own errors:

Polaris Demand Drive Fluid, used in the the front differential, is universal tractor hydraulic fluid. A JD J-20D compatible fluid should be used. In the 2000's and prior Hilliard, the OEM of that diff, did support the use of ATF as an alternative. That is no more.

Meanwhile Polaris AGL is a slightly heavier weight oil, and is specified by Polaris in both their transmissions and their combined transmission/transaxle (includes the rear differential) applications. I've read comments that many 5W-30W motor oils would meet a GL-3 rating, and perhaps thats all AGL is. Or was. After all, I'm sure AGL has been reformulated several times. I suppose I'd think a GL-4 rated ATF is the minimum.

Interestingly, Redline's AGL alternative is a lightweight gear old. It's rated at 75W80 (J306) but it's max cold viscosity seems to place it around 5W (On the J300 scale). Relative to Amsoils AGL alternative we can say the Redline is lower in viscosity (gets into smaller bearing clearances and flows better cold), while Amsoils has been sheer strength (GL-5 rated vs Redlines GL-4). Which is better? I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back