Michelin Premier A/S ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's rapidly approaching new shoe time on the Acura the Primacy MXV4s have been outstanding, but if there is better out there I'm willing to look.
Has anyone run the new Michelin Premier tires and if so what do you think?

Thanks Smoky

I think they are extremely high priced, and start at 8.5/32 so no deal for me.

Its proven that tires below 6/32" tread depth will lose traction in snowy weather.

I agree with Rand, too expensive, especially for 8.5/32 tread.

Michelin's Pilot Sport A/S3 will probably6 last just as long, but give you more performance than the Premier, since the Pilot actually comes with full tread 10/32.

For longer life, Michelin also has the Defender.

Either the Defender or the PAS3 are better choices than the Premier.

Thee good news is that your tire size 205/55-16 gives you a LOT of choices!

My top non-Michelin choices are
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
Dunlop Signature II
Dunlop SP Sport Signature
General Altimax RT43

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
It's rapidly approaching new shoe time on the Acura the Primacy MXV4s have been outstanding, but if there is better out there I'm willing to look.
Has anyone run the new Michelin Premier tires and if so what do you think?

Thanks Smoky

We were in your situation.

At 8.5/32, the Premier was too little tread for us.

Take a look at the Conti PureContact Eco. You'll be glad you did.

I believe the MXV4's aren't being made anymore, I wouldn't go that route just incase one gets a nail in the sidewall or something a replacement may not be available.

Wife and I swear, we think our Primacy MXV4's got better traction once half-worn. They were scary new! Car would just dart sideways. Maybe we got used to it, or maybe it was the gentle winter we just had. Anyhow, I'm quite against MXV4's in snow. I've yet to figure out what tire to get next.

But in New Mexico? Never been there, but I usually thing of it as having anything but winter for weather.

I had the Primacy MXM4 tires. They are NOT better than the MXV4! They were a HORRIBLE A/S tire!

That being said, I also vote for the Continental PureContact w/ Ecoplus tires!!

I think people are talking about the 8.5 tread depth like its almost a slick. No one has mentioned the tread depth on other Michelin tires.

Defender - 10
Energy Saver- 8.5 to 9.5 depends on the tire size
MXV4- 9.5 to 11 depends on size
MXM4- 9 to 9.5 depends on size

Michelin is making another tire at 8.5 and most are at 9.5 thats just 1/32 more than the Premier A/S.

That said, I just put a set on my Subaru,size 205/55-16.
I have not driven far enough to say anything about them other than they are quiet and smooth.

It is only a 32nd of an inch not the big deal people are making it out to be.

Funny that the people who don't have them say don't buy them, but the two people who are using them say they are ok.

Last edited:
The MXV4 was 11/32 and the Conti PureContact is 10/32.

OE tires are often 9/32.

While 2/32 is the minimum inspection depth in most places, winter and wet performance begins to substantially degrade as soon as 5/32. I'd rather have 5 or 6/32 to get there than the 3.5/32 this Michelin offers.

Notwithstanding its 3d tread mold, for what Michelin charges for them, 8.5/32 in a 60k TOTL grand touring class tire is a big deal. And I'm normally a big Michelin fan.

The people saying to hold off on them are obviously following their own advice. I'm sure those who have bought them are not having any problems . . . the tires are still relatively fresh at this point.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I had the Primacy MXM4 tires. They are NOT better than the MXV4! They were a HORRIBLE A/S tire!

That being said, I also vote for the Continental PureContact w/ Ecoplus tires!!

Are you sure you had primacy mxm4's? They are a fairly new tire... just came out a couple of years ago.
If they were oem on a honda chances are they were pilot hx mxm4's

The OP is in new mexico I doubt if winter traction is a high priority.. therefore I'd rate the primacy mxm4's above the primacy mxv4's

Rand, we had both on one of our vehicles.

They're close in many ways, but the MXV4, was discernibly more comfortable than the MXM, while delivering the same level of performance. The MXM telegraphs what it is doing a little more sharply. It's a matter of taste, but on an already communicative chassis, we preferred the V4 for its more relaxed ride.

Originally Posted By: supton
But in New Mexico? Never been there, but I usually thing of it as having anything but winter for weather.

http://www.skitaos.org/

872.jpg

(Wow!, that really looks like fun...wish I was there right now.)

Originally Posted By: supton

Most of New Mexico is high desert, and it gets cold during the winter. It's also not that hot during the summer. It's not like Arizona where the major cities are at a lower elevation. Santa Fe is about a mile up. Taos is at 7000 ft.

Here's a photo of Santa Fe in the winter:

snow32-640x360.jpg

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=182&cid=

Looks like the lack of tread depth fears are likely unfounded. What an awesome display from the Premier A/S and I'm not even a fan of Michelin.

Shaving a tire down 3.5/32 to "worn" depth proves nothing.

At what real-world mileage exactly does this tire lose 3.5/32 and become "worn"? 27k miles? 23k miles? 18K miles? Nobody really knows yet.

That's what's causing the concern, not that it's not a great performer with tread still on it.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=182&cid=

Looks like the lack of tread depth fears are likely unfounded. What an awesome display from the Premier A/S and I'm not even a fan of Michelin.

Shaving a tire down 3.5/32 to "worn" depth proves nothing.

At what real-world mileage exactly does this tire lose 3.5/32 and become "worn"? 27k miles? 23k miles? 18K miles? Nobody really knows yet.

That's what's causing the concern, not that it's not a great performer with tread still on it.

The vast majority of complaints about the design was that the tread depth wasn't enough. Obviously, these tires perform better than other tires with MUCH more tread depth. The cut down michelins were better than BRAND NEW continentals that get rave reviews.

You're missing the point.

It may be a superior tire all the way through its tread life.

But if its effective tread life is only 30-35k, that's not so great.

It's certainly not good considering how much they go for.

Certain Pilot Sports had that problem. Best in class for too short a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back