Morgan Shepherd Takes Out Joey Logano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running in the Top 5, Joey Logano was taken out in a crash at Lap 211 of today’s Camping World RV Sales 301 that also involved the lapped car of 72-year-old driver Morgan Shepherd.

Shepherd, who started last in today’s race, was listed as 15 laps down immediately after the accident. Replays appeared to show Logano being hit from behind in Turn 3 before hitting the wall. Shepherd was able to continue his race.

“The slowest car on the race track took us out – go figure,” Logano spat on TNT. “We had a pretty good Auto Trader Ford and just doing what we can to hang in there.

“We were running second…We were just doing what we can with strategy, keeping our cars toward the front, running good lap times and I felt like we could have a Penske 1-2 again.

“To get taken out by the slowest car – I feel like there should be a driver’s test when you get out in a Cup car and make sure you know how to drive it before you [race] one. But I don’t know, I guess there isn’t.”

When asked if he planned to speak with NASCAR on the subject, Logano felt it would do no good.

“That ain’t gonna go nowhere,” he said. “What am I going to say? It’s not NASCAR’s fault that he slid up and he’s the slowest car on the track. I don’t know, if you can’t control your stuff, don’t even be out there. If you’re 10 laps down, what are you doing?”

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/201...ent-at-lap-211/

Last edited:
Well, yeah, that happens when the slowest car in the field gets his braking point wrong at the end of the straights and plows into the back of the second fastest car in the field. Morgan was very good 25 years ago, he's just trying too hard to hang on to his youth.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Well, yeah, that happens when the slowest car in the field gets his braking point wrong at the end of the straights and plows into the back of the second fastest car in the field. Morgan was very good 25 years ago, he's just trying too hard to hang on to his youth.

This exactly. It looked like when Logano passed him, it took the air off the front of Morgan's already ill-handling car and he washed up into the back of Logano.

What I don't understand about NASCAR is their continued lack of issuing black flags for not maintaining minimum speed. Also it seems in NASCAR and IndyCar there have been a lot of incidents recently of drivers not understanding what a blue flag means.

Morgan's comments about Joey's accident the couple days before the race were completely out of line. He crashed because he had a left rear go down, which if anyone watched the race, also took out Jimmie Johnson.

“... Joey more or less caused the wreck. I mean, yes, I was there. I was on the inside and I was having a problem with my car. All real racecar drivers know that if you go in side-by-side with a car, the car on the outside has the advantage. If he lays close to the car on the inside you can suck that car around and that's kinda what happened to me. When he come in there he laid real close to me and it caused me to lose my front end. My front end slipped over and I got into him and caused the accident."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/story...csm-controversy

That guy has no business on the track. Hang it up and let a newcomer have a shot. 4 wins in 44 years?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

That guy has no business on the track. Hang it up and let a newcomer have a shot. 4 wins in 44 years?

eXactly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back