Police Technique in Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
Could GM deny a police car warranty engine failure claim if they found out they idled it in hot weather for 3 hours? I say just let the engines fail and let GM pay for the warranty repairs, and then you'll see bigger cooling fans and/or fins suddenly get added.

Wait... since when did cop cars come with a warranty?

I think that's because accessories, electrical insulation, electronic modules and specially ignition coils doesn't like convection heat. Not an engine overheating issue. Closing the hood will make the cooling system work better because the airflow will be directed to convenient areas. But the top of the engine will collect excessive heat unwanted for those components.

Last edited:
I just attribute it to people wanting to look like they know something.
wink.gif
I had the privilege of driving one of the last old style Caprice (i.e. 1996) interceptors to its retirement. Yes, they idled hot - and had a real temperature gauge. The fan and thermostat did what they were supposed to. The Crown Vics were the same way. No hoods open, and no overheating.

If a front opening hood on one of the taxis ever flew open on the driver, I bet he wouldn't do it again.

yonyon: Cop cars do come with a warranty, at least in Canada. Some of them are still in effect when retired and relegated to taxi service.

I've stood by the driver's door of my cars when the electric fan runs. Heat comes out from under the firewall, and it's an effective wind.

In an 80'F parade, my HHR towing a trailer as big as itself 2 mph had about a 10% duty cycle with the fan. It'd go up to 217' then quickly drop to 200' and repeat. If Florida is 110' then the delta between rad temp and ambient air is only 30% worse than my example.

Saw hood louvers on a CHP crown vic, looked dumb!

I wonder where this hoods-open "policy came" from: top-down or bottom-up.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
Could GM deny a police car warranty engine failure claim if they found out they idled it in hot weather for 3 hours? I say just let the engines fail and let GM pay for the warranty repairs, and then you'll see bigger cooling fans and/or fins suddenly get added.

Wait... since when did cop cars come with a warranty?

Warranties are always part of a fleet contract so it varies widely from nothing to a full consumer-level warranty. Some fleets will negotiate a full warranty for the first 3 months only to ferret out any bad potatoes.

When doing hot-weather new-car design testing:

They take cars to AZ in summer, run them hard, idle them for several hours, then pop the hood at each hour of idling and take an overhead view infrared image to look at later. Any areas showing up as red hot get more underhood air flow. Rinse and repeat.

Geez Iv'e seen cop cars do this at accident scenes and in parades going clear back into the 70's. I don't know if it's effective or not, but they have been doing that for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back