Proper way to dispose of used oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the proper way to dispose of used oil filters? I've never read anything locally about the proper way to get rid of them, so I thought I'd ask here.

I am not an environmental wacko by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't want to pollute for the sake of polluting, either.

I would appreciate any input on this subject.

There is some procedure with hot draining and I mean hot. I think if they ever enforced oil filter disposal regulations we home oil changers might be put out of business. In fact, I think from now on I will drain mine best I can and save them for the annual household hazardous waste collection day.

Places that take used oil usually (but not always) will take used filters. Ask. Quickie lubes often accept them.

How about used (read soaked) paper towel mass after a typical fluid change. During my tranny & differential change I must've left a quart of Dexron on my floor. It got soaked into paper towels, then bagged into the household trash for city disposal.

I drill a hole in them to get the old oil out. Don't remember what brand of filter I was using when I concluded it won't drain out other wise. whatever, it must of had a dandy ADBV. I dump them in a cardboard milk carton and leave them, often until my next oil change. For a while we had a scrap yard that PAID for tin cans. I threw in my old filters too. the oil goes to a quickie lube place. All too often my used oil jugs are still full at the next oil change.

No tree hugger here, but I do have to live in this environment.

I do feel guilty about all the oil soaked newspaper I send to the land fill.

I'm lucky, the local garbage company pics up used oil and filters at the curb with my garbage for free
burnout.gif

usually the same place that will take used oil will also take the filters.

Kragens around here recently started accepting oil filters for recycling. Since then that's where I've been taking mine.

If you have any Checker/Schuck's/Kragens near you, that might be an option.

AutoZones, at least in my experience, don't accept filters.

Pep Boys might - it's hard to tell. Usually they just wheel their under-car receptacle over to you and let you have at it. Since there are usually a few filters sitting in the catch pan, I have in the past just left mine without trying to get somebody's attention. What they do with them is anybody's guess.

Wavinwayne:

The Filter Manufacturers Council has a toll free line dedicated to Filter disposal. They have the National, State, and local regulations. They also have Canadian information.

Typically you drain the filter, or "hot drain it" for 24 hours. Then any land fill should accept the filter.

Their number is 1-800-993-4583.

And has been mentioned most part houses where you purchase filters will take them back, usually with a disposal fee.

FYI...used filters are recycled and turned into rebar for construction...

I think the EPA recommended drilling or punching a hole in the filter to drain out as much oil as possible but I couldn't find it on their web site. Just turning upside down doesn't really drain that much oil out. I think they may have proposed a filter crusher at some point too.

I've just jammed a small twig into the ADBV through the holes to crack the seal. It lets in the air in and allows the oil flow out pretty quickly.

I used to work in a bar mill that produced rebar, and Filter guy is right. Those shops would charge anything into the furnace that they could pick up with a magnet. The filters filled with oil would float on top of the slag and flare up until the oil burned off.

I've been to a few dumps, and each one had a magnetic separator that picked out anything that was magnetic. So even if you put your oil filter in with your garbage, there's a chance that it gets recycled.

Like it's been said already... I take my used oil and filters to the nearby quick lube place. Sometimes they have me pour my used oil into one of their tanks or they do it for me. They just have me leave the filters in a pile with a bunch of ones they've accumulated.

I hear that they crush them to get the rest of the oil out of them. I believe that they sell the used oil to recycling companies (which is why they'll accept used oil for free).

There's also a motorcycle dealership in town that accepts used oil and filters as well. They use the used oil to heat their building in the winter. They too crush the oil filters to get as much oil out of the filters as possible.

Years ago, I would put my old filters on top of fence posts - good wood preservative. These days, I take them to the local dump. They have a big tank where you dump your used oil and on top of that tank is a tray for used filters. The tray has a drain that flows into the tank. They then take the filters and throw them into the metal bin for recycling.
As for oil soaked paper towels - I too felt bad about that one - Every time I changed the oil in the Saturn, I had a bag full of oil soaked rags. Took them to the dump and asked what to do with them. The man told me, "throw them in the household garbage bin." Oh well, I tried.

Used oil & oil filter recyling center lookup:
http://www.earth911.org/master.asp?s=ls&cat=9&serviceid=1&type=

quote:

How To Change and Recycle Your Used Oil Filter

Check Your Local Recycling Options

Used oil filters are becoming more commonly accepted in local recycling programs. Before changing your oil filter, click here to find out if Earth 911 has a recycling program listed for your community. In many cases, the used oil collection facilities where you take your used motor oil may also accept used oil filters for recycling. If they do not, and you cannot find a location on Earth 911, consult with your local collection facility to see if they can direct you to a location or business that provides this service.

If you don’t have access to a local recycling program for used oil filters, check with your local municipal recycling coordinator or solid waste department for recommended disposal options. In many areas, the empty used filter can be wrapped in a newspaper and disposed of with your normal household trash. Although this is not recommended, it may be the only option available for disposal depending on the programs available in your area. Remember – regardless of whether you recycle or dispose of the used oil filter, you MUST drain the used oil out of the oil filter first.

Tips on Changing Your Oil Filter

1. After you have drained all the oil from the engine block, use a filter wrench to loosen and remove the old oil filter.

2. Place the flat end of the filter in the drain pan or on the used oil recycling container to allow as much of the used oil as possible to drain out of the filter. It is recommended that you leave the filter in this draining position for at least 12 hours.

3. Certain everyday household containers can also be used for used motor oil collection, including milk and water jugs or the original motor oil bottles. DO NOT use a container that previously held household chemicals, such as cleaners, solvents, fuels (gasoline), paint or bleach.

4. Install the new oil filter according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

5. Take the used oil and oil filters to the nearest recycling center in your community. To find out where this is, click here.

The local disposal company here takes them as well as AF and oil.

I, too, used to preserve wood with pre-owned crankcase oil- dumped it on/behind some wood RR ties we had for shoring. Wouldn't even THINK of doing that now!

Hmmm... I was just thinking if cutting the filters open with one of them thar filter cutter thingies and dismantling them would make recycling easier...? Fram might try to put a stop to it, though
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Crashbox:
Fram might try to put a stop to it, though
smile.gif

What's the best way to recycle filters? Not by making cut aways! Making cut aways only shows there are different ways to dismantle filters. We'd prefer you crush them into pancakes, so nobody can tell the difference anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back