Anyone ever run this Blue Diamond Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have a hard time buying an oil that I have never heard of for $50/gallon (12.50/qt) and running it 50-100K, even if they say it can

maybe its a secret for a reason,
27.gif

" ... meeting every spec from a passenger car to a semi truck and everything in between. "

I don't see CJ-4 listed. I don't see SM or SN listed.

I don't see it API licensed under "Hot Shots" or "Blue Diamond".

I doubt it can be "100% PAO", because if it was, it would not be able to hold much of an additive package. PAOs don't hold some additves well, and those oils typically need some group II+ or III to help hold additives in suspension. Pure PAO is not worth much, IMO, except as a building block. (Amsoil and M1 and others do a great job of blending their products with a majority of PAO, but they are not 100% pure PAO. I susepct that's the same with this "Blue Diamond").

HotShots has an additive that is supposed to liberate the "sticking" injectors in HEUI, specifically the 6.0L and 7.3L PSDs. What they've done is take that additive, and pre-blend it into an oil for you, and market the final mixed product. That way, they can take even more of your hard-earned money.

Here's a partial quote from the lubrication site mission statment:
"It is our goal to bring extreme duty, high performance custom made products that are only available to high end customers, to end users. We find products being used by industrial and commercial customers and offer them in small quantities to everyday users." I read this as "We find elietist low-volume products, repackage them and market them for proffit." This marketing strategy works; ever seen Harley-branded lubes, filters, clothing, tools, clocks, coffee mugs, writing pens, etc?

I'm not saying this is a bad oil; I doubt that's true, and I'm reasonably sure this oil will do a decent job. But I also doubt that this oil can perform on such a level that it would outpace it's competitors equal to it's cost. $50/gallon? YIKES!

I am comfortable with stating this: that oil you list is 100% marketing hype and rhetoric.

Dying to try it, are you?

Caveot Emptor ...

Last edited:
Montero: The only way you will ever really know is to get yourself to spend that much on a gallon and have a VOA run on it...

Compare that to a Sample of Schaeffers 5W-40/Amsoil 5W-40/M1 TDT 5W-40/Redline 5W-40 ect...

If you can afford an oil change with this oil? You best have a dual filtering oil by-pass system installed to extend that OCI way past 50K miles just to get your $ worth...

I would tell you don't waste your money...But! It's your $$ do what makes you feel warm and fuzzy... But! I'm sure others would like to know your findings if a VOA is done...

Good Luck in Your Quest!

I also see they advertise a fuel additive that supposedly reverses phase separation, but requiring a fairly hefty dose (and I'm sure a hefty price). Is reversing phase separation even feasible?

I agree with dnewton3. I'm sure their oil is a fine product. Is it worth the price, though?

It will last 50-100 k miles as long as you keep it clean!

By-pass filtration will make any oil last longer,without the 50 dollar a gallon price tag!

I am brand new to this forum, mainly because I stumbled upon this thread. I know this is a very old thread but I work for Hot Shot's Secret, and I think I might have some answers to your PAO questions. While it is true that a straight PAO will have trouble holding additives in suspension. WE blend the additives with a Group V Polyol ester. This gives the polarity needed to disperse the additives and keep them in suspension. It also lowers the coefficient of friction and increases the oxidation stability. The oil is approved for gas engines. The CI4+ is the rating we are trying to achieve because the CJ-4 limits the volume of detergent you can put in the oil. We wanted more detergent so the oil can be used for extended drain intervals. We know the PAO can’t be oxidized so we wanted the most additive possible. We are currently working with additive manufacturers to determine whether or not the new additives can surpass the quality of the 14 TBN. Hope this helps.

Wecome to the site, BoKnows!

Will be nice to hear from an industry insider at times.

I like what you said in the manner of using the package as tailored for "extended drain intervals". Most folks (even here) don't understand about how to judge the inputs and outputs, relative to their "needs". Because what they "want" and what they "need" are often two VERY different things ...

The price of your products makes is hard to swallow for the casual user, frankly.

For someone who can practice extended drains with patience and knowledge and the proper tools (UOAs, PCs, etc), then your product may make a good choice.
For those who can't, it's a VERY PRICEY option that won't do anything special past a decent CJ-4.

Last edited:
BoKnows, thanks for the information. We appreciate your appearance here. Nonetheless, prepare for a rough ride. The readers here can be quite sophisticated and won't be charmed by a high TBN at the expense of current certifications - or, more appropriate, at the expense of modern additive chemistry.

CJ-4 doesn't limit the volume of detergents at all. There are related SA limits which requires a little bit different chemistry, but other companies provide synthetic HDEOs that are primarily PAO, have a TBN greater than 10, with SA of 1.0 or less, are certified CJ-4/SM, meet ACEA E7 and E9, and have a builder approval list as long as your arm, are very suitable for extremely extended OCIs, all the while costing under $25 a gallon. E7/E9 type lubes mean magnesium additive packages are here to stay.

What real benefit is being provided by having a higher TBN with an older rating and additive package, particularly for the dollars commanded by the product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back