2013 Suzuki SFV650 Oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, after 8 years on BITOG I'm posting one of these 'what oil?' threads. It's been 20 years since I owned a bike and I'm finally back on two wheels. Came 3 inches away from buying a Speed Triple, but at double the price I thought it prudent to start with something inexpensive to buy and for insurance.

Manual says SJ 10w40, and specifically says to avoid any 'energy conserving oils', with a graphic of SM/SN API Energy Conserving symbols with a big line through it. Does that mean I can't go with RT6 like I planned to?

Picture of new bike, bought used with 3k miles:

SVF650AL3_small.jpg

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Just about any motorcycle specific oil will work for you. You can also try Rotella t, Delo 400, or Delvac 15/40 HDEO oils.,,

I noticed a lot of threads with HDEO oils, would RT5 be included in that list with the high HTHS of a 40 weight?

Why cut corners when you can get something like Motul 7100, that is a dedicated bike oil with esters and a lovely strawberry color and smell?:)

For 2.9 Qt with filter every 5k miles, I'm pretty sure you won't end up broke
wink.gif

I've got a 2009 SV650 which has a very similar engine. Just recently drained the factory fill and put in Rotella T 15w40. Seems like a good oil given the warm summer temps, but I swear I have lost some precision when using the shifter. Seems more finicky to get out of neutral into 1st and a few times I've made a doofus of myself while shifting into 2nd. Otherwise everything seems great.

Also running a Wix 51359 which is a bit smaller in diameter than the OEM Suzuki filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I've got a 2009 SV650 which has a very similar engine. Just recently drained the factory fill and put in Rotella T 15w40. Seems like a good oil given the warm summer temps, but I swear I have lost some precision when using the shifter. Seems more finicky to get out of neutral into 1st and a few times I've made a doofus of myself while shifting into 2nd. Otherwise everything seems great.

Also running a Wix 51359 which is a bit smaller in diameter than the OEM Suzuki filter.

Interesting. I ran into this yesterday during the 300 km on the bike after picking it up. Missed 1st - 2nd three times. No idea what oil is in the bike currently. I'm looking to change it this weekend with a fresh filter.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Why cut corners when you can get something like Motul 7100, that is a dedicated bike oil with esters and a lovely strawberry color and smell?:)

For 2.9 Qt with filter every 5k miles, I'm pretty sure you won't end up broke
wink.gif

After a few years on BITOG I've come around, "better" is not always "better". Especially at short 4k mile intervals called for by Suzuki.

Rotella 5W48 and 15W40 both meet the frictional spec (JASO MA) that 'Zuk and the rest of the Japanese labels call for, for wet clutch protection. Obviously, neither Rotella is a 10W40, so they're not quite the viscosity spec 'Zuk calls out. I've used RTS before in a Honda supersport with completely acceptable results. Only you can determine whether you want to run it in _your_ bike.

I've got a V-Stom with a brother engine.

Just about any 10W-40, 15W-40, or 5W-40 will give you excellent results. On the V-Strom forum there is a rider with something over 250,000 miles, no engine repairs, and uses Castrol synthetic automotive 10W-40. Many good reports of Rotella T6 5W-40. I'm having excellent results with Schaeffer #9000 5W-40.

If there is an energy conserving xW-40, I don't know what it is. There might be one or two in the world. Most of the oils mentioned above (except Shell) don't have the JASO MA clutch rating, and they perform great. It is hard to go wrong. The 5W-40 will work very well for you in the spring and fall cool weather as well as the summer heat. (If you were in the desert southwest with real heat, I'd suggest a 15W-50 or 20W-50.)

The SV650/Gladius/SFV650 is a great line of bikes (excepting the dopey name of the Gladius).

Originally Posted By: Ken2
I've got a V-Stom with a brother engine.

Just about any 10W-40, 15W-40, or 5W-40 will give you excellent results. On the V-Strom forum there is a rider with something over 250,000 miles, no engine repairs, and uses Castrol synthetic automotive 10W-40. Many good reports of Rotella T6 5W-40. I'm having excellent results with Schaeffer #9000 5W-40.

If there is an energy conserving xW-40, I don't know what it is. There might be one or two in the world. Most of the oils mentioned above (except Shell) don't have the JASO MA clutch rating, and they perform great. It is hard to go wrong. The 5W-40 will work very well for you in the spring and fall cool weather as well as the summer heat. (If you were in the desert southwest with real heat, I'd suggest a 15W-50 or 20W-50.)

The SV650/Gladius/SFV650 is a great line of bikes (excepting the dopey name of the Gladius).

Excellent advice, thank you!

I went with the Suzuki OEM filter and oil for the next change and will choose one of the Rotella flavors next. I would prefer the 15w40 dino, but with fall temps that might not be a good idea.

Finally got around to reading the maintenance schedule in the manual. It states to leave the oil filter on for 3 oil changes! It states to change the oil every 6000KM and the oil filter every 18000KM.

What do y'all think about that?

webfors;

In my 2007 SV, I've used:

Rotella 5W40
PC Duron 10W40
Rotella 15W40
Mobile 1 15W50

When I did my valve check at 25k kms, the cylinder heads looked immaculate. I felt that it shifted best with Duron, but that is very subjective.

BTW, the ott-motorcycle gang meets at Merivale/Enterprise Tim Hortons every Thursday night, and they usually organize lots of fun rides, track weekends at Bogie etc. Last event I attended was at Luskville drag strip a few weeks ago.

http://tinypic.com/r/ru1hfm/5

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: webfors
It's been 20 years since I owned a bike and I'm finally back on two wheels.

Congrats! Ride safe
cheers3.gif

There is nothing wrong with leaving the oil filter on for the full 18,000 km (11,000 miles)--Suzuki backs it with their money in the form of the factory warranty and the extended service plan they sell. Do whatever helps you sleep well at night. The Hiflo HF-138 oil filters work well for a lot less money. (Hiflo makes motorcycle oil filters for K&N, the KN-138). Or, the HF-138C chrome can filter. If you continue to buy OE filters, ask for an oil filter for a 2015 Hayabusa; all Suzuki spin on filters are the same, but it might give the parts clerk a thrill selling to a 2015 official Suzuki test rider!

Originally Posted By: Ken2
There is nothing wrong with leaving the oil filter on for the full 18,000 km (11,000 miles)--Suzuki backs it with their money in the form of the factory warranty and the extended service plan they sell. Do whatever helps you sleep well at night. The Hiflo HF-138 oil filters work well for a lot less money. (Hiflo makes motorcycle oil filters for K&N, the KN-138). Or, the HF-138C chrome can filter. If you continue to buy OE filters, ask for an oil filter for a 2015 Hayabusa; all Suzuki spin on filters are the same, but it might give the parts clerk a thrill selling to a 2015 official Suzuki test rider!

I might leave it on for two OCI's, but not three.

I was across the border Friday and bought a couple of jugs of RT6 for when I get through the Suzuki dino. It was $21.97 minus a $5 MIR. I thought that was a pretty darn good deal for a syn oil that meets all the required specs.

Regarding filters, I put on a Fram on my latest oil change with Rotella 15w40. I couldn't wait for the order to arrive from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. I now have 3 suzuki filters, 2 jugs of Suzuki oil, and my two jugs of RT6. I think I'll be good for a while
grin.gif

I cut open the Fram that was on the bike previously. Nice little filter, silicon ADBV, pleats were tight, no tears, ADBV and leaf spring all sealed well against the fiber ends.

I forgot to mention that the Suzuki oil jugs I received stated SOPUS as the manufacturer guaranteeing the MA spec on the back of the jugs. Looks like Shell makes their oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back