No Internet: Win Server 08 VM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I just installed Windows Server 2008 as a virtual machine using VirtualBox. The install finished, but I'm not getting any internet on the virtual machine. All I get is "Windows cannot find any networks"... Am I missing something here? I'm guessing it's something to do with the virtual machine. How do I get it to connect to the Internet?

Host computer is running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.

Thanks guys!

how is the virtual box networking configured.. how is the network showing up in win2008 server

--is it a legit copy of win2008 server?

Originally Posted By: GreenFocus
Did you configured networking for that vm?
What network card shows up in win server?

No network cards seem to be showing up in Win Server.. And no, I didn't configure any networking for the VM, it never asked me to..??

Here is what I am seeing:

Screenshotfrom2014-07-08204225_zps39dae19d.png

Screenshotfrom2014-07-08211102_zps67bf573e.png

Originally Posted By: Rand
--is it a legit copy of win2008 server?

Yes it is, I didn't put the product key in yet as it wanted to connect to the internet for that. But that shouldn't make a difference. I should be able to go on the internet before I activate windows.

Originally Posted By: GreenFocus
Did you configured networking for that vm?
What network card shows up in win server?

This. No network cards are showing up b/c you probably didn't set up the VM to use network connections. It's been years since I've done it, and I don't know how to do it on the VM you're using. But do a google search for enabling network access for your VM and it'll probably come up.

looks like you need to install a driver of some sort based on your picture there showing an ethernet card with no driver.

Before you start the vm server, there should be option to modify vm, ie add a network adapter, I do not recall specific steps.
Once you add nic to vm, win server will recognize it.
Virtual box has many tutorials, search and read.

Ok, so I went to the network settings on the VM and this is what I see. I messed around with a few of the settings and it's still not showing any networks in Win Server.

Screenshotfrom2014-07-08212523_zps33e69cff.png

Funny thing is I've done a lot with Linux on VMs and the internet just worked out of the box.

You need to install the Virtual Box additions to the VBox host. It's a separate installation from Oracle. Once installed, you'll have all functionality available to your VMs....

Click on the top of the VM window, choose the option to Install VBox Extension Pack.... reboot. Now your VM should have network connectivity. I suggest bridge mode rather than NAT mode on home networks, seems to work better all in all.

Also, you may need to change the emulated network card type in the VM's settings if you're still having issues beyond all that.

Good luck

Last edited:
Summary; linux VMs work out of the box, Windows VMs require special attention, hunting for drivers, posting on forums to get basic functionality etc. lol.

On a side note +1 to TnS bridge mode, then it uses you home router/firewall to get its IP address rather than an internal VB one. Essential for connectivity between a linux host and linux guest using ssh/scp etc.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Summary; linux VMs work out of the box, Windows VMs require special attention, hunting for drivers, posting on forums to get basic functionality etc. lol.

What you are experiencing is not a problem; it is a feature. Windows keeps the number of basic hardware drivers provided by default to a minimum. This benefits the user with faster startup times and smaller installation media. Where additional drivers are needed, one can use the CD supplied with the hardware device except for those cases where it isn't available.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
You need to install the Virtual Box additions to the VBox host. It's a separate installation from Oracle. Once installed, you'll have all functionality available to your VMs....

Click on the top of the VM window, choose the option to Install VBox Extension Pack.... reboot. Now your VM should have network connectivity. I suggest bridge mode rather than NAT mode on home networks, seems to work better all in all.

It seems the extension pack is already installed:

Code:
$ VBoxManage list extpacks

Extension Packs: 1

Pack no. 0: VNC

Version: 4.3.10

Revision: 93012

Edition:

Description: VNC plugin module

VRDE Module: VBoxVNC

Usable: true

Quote:
Also, you may need to change the emulated network card type in the VM's settings if you're still having issues beyond all that.

Good luck

How would I do this? I'm not seeing that option.

in the VBox settings window that you posted above, shut down the VM, then change the emulated adapter from PCNet Fast III to something else, preferably an Intel-based one, which is supported by Windows.

Ok, thanks I just did that. There were 3 Intel based adapters, 2 of them give me a "local only" connection... the other one didn't give me anything. Here is a picture so you can see what I am seeing:

Screenshotfrom2014-07-09093326_zps3ebe6491.png

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Ok, thanks I just did that. There were 3 Intel based adapters, 2 of them give me a "local only" connection... the other one didn't give me anything. Here is a picture so you can see what I am seeing:

Screenshotfrom2014-07-09093326_zps3ebe6491.png

OK, now that you have an adapter the OS recognizes, how do you have it connecting? It it setup as a bridge or? You posted a screenshot earlier of your previous adapter setup in the host, can you do that again but reflecting the current config?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
OK, does wlan0 actually represent your connected adapter on the host system when you run ifconfig?

I haven't read this whole thread but does setting the "Attached to:" to NAT not work? If in "Bridged" have you tried setting the adapter to eth0 instead of wlan0?

This is the output of ifconfig in the terminal. Looks like wlan0 is represented.

Code:
$ ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:88:e3:b6:4f:bf

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Interrupt:16

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1

RX packets:1899 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:1899 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:162891 (162.8 KB) TX bytes:162891 (162.8 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 20:16:d8:e7:37:e8

inet addr:192.168.1.103 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fd67:6d7f:2c02:0:2216:d8ff:fee7:37e8/64 Scope:Global

inet6 addr: fe80::2216:d8ff:fee7:37e8/64 Scope:Link

inet6 addr: fd67:6d7f:2c02:0:357f:85f:727e:946f/64 Scope:Global

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:11728 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:10570 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:6283209 (6.2 MB) TX bytes:2613989 (2.6 MB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back