Wix vs Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I've never done a lot of research on oil filters, knew Wix was decent and have always used Wix oil filters. Well with all the talk here on bitog, I'm pretty sure I'm buying a Fram Ultra.

My questions- What is the efficiency rating for Wix? What is the efficiency rating for the Fram Ultra? 99% right?

I don't care about the $1.50-$2.00 price difference either. My car is the Wix 51394 and Fram Ultra XG4967

Also, When I search Walmart's website with the part number XG4967, it shows the Extended Guard which I know the Ultra replaced, so should I not get an Extended Guard from Walmart and buy the Ultra from Amazon?

Thanks

Fram Ultra is far superior. The standard Wix is only 95% efficient @ 20 microns, while the Fram ultra is 99%+ @ 20 microns, not to mention its about 80% efficient at 5 microns IIRC, which you wouldn't even find out from Wix.

The Ultra is rated for up to 15,000 miles, the Wix would not look so hot after that long in a demanding application.

The Ultra is two layers of synthetic media with wire backing, the Wix is a single layer or cellulose/glass blend.

Fram Ultra wins. Fram ToughGuards filter better than Wix/NAPAgold as well. Fram ExtraGuards have about the same filtering ability as Wix/NAPAgold as has been discussed here many times.

Wix = more $$ and 50% efficiency at 20 microns. Fram Ultra = under $9 at WM and 99% efficiency at 20 microns....Fram Ultra = WIN!
Whoops, just realized you were not talking about the Wix XP...either way, buy the Fram.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
while the Fram ultra is 99%+ @ 20 microns, not to mention its about 80% efficient at 5 microns IIRC, which you wouldn't even find out from Wix.

You recalled correctly. Motorking posted that. Fram didn't release that 5 micron data publicly on their website or anywhere else.

These guys drove across the U.S. in 1903 and they both agreed on using a Fram Ultra. Yet, sadly, they argued all the way to Chicago about whether titanium additives were superior to boron based additives for anti-wear. They were ahead of their time.
photo_crew_in_car.jpg

Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
These guys drove across the U.S. in 1903 and they both agreed on using a Fram Ultra. Yet, sadly, they argued all the way to Chicago about whether titanium additives were superior to boron based additives for anti-wear. They were ahead of their time.
photo_crew_in_car.jpg

Bwahaha...that is awesome
thumbsup2.gif

The standard Wix is only 95% efficient @ 20 microns, while the Fram ultra is 99%+ @ 20 microns

Stop repeating that.

Read the fine print: Fram is 99% at >20 microns. That little 'greater than' sign makes a HUGE difference. When I first saw that on the packaging, I thought 'Nobody is going to fall for that.'

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gabe
The standard Wix is only 95% efficient @ 20 microns, while the Fram ultra is 99%+ @ 20 microns

Stop repeating that.

Read the fine print: Fram is 99% at >20 microns?

That little 'greater than' sign makes a HUGE difference?

When I first saw that on the packaging, I thought 'Nobody is going to fall for that.'

How does "at >20 microns" make a huge difference?

20.01 microns is ">20 microns". Motorking (Fram Rep who posts here) says their rating is basically at 20 microns.

Look at UOA's. Look at insolubles. Wix makes a great filter. Your insolubles will be very very low, as in trace, with both.

I use Wix. It has a better overall construction. The media in Wix standard filters will work great!

Check out the product page for the Wix 51394 filter: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51394 you'll see it lists the Beta Ratio as 2/20=6/20. That means it's catching 50% of the particles 6 microns in size, and 95% of the particles 20 microns in size.

The product page also lists the Nominal Micron Rating as 21 microns.

Both are very good filters and using either one will protect your engine for as long as you own it. There are countless cars with over 200,000 miles on them that used whatever bulk filter the shop threw on it.

If you do decide to buy Fram Ultra filters, check the Fram website for the $2 rebate (limit of 2) that they have going on right now.

Thanks, I'll use that rebate.

Well I made the plunge, made it back from Walmart with a Fram Ultra (even though my next OCI is in 3500 miles
laugh.gif
. I really like the rubber grip, that's genius (although my car has the worlds easiest to change oil filter) but it'll come in handy on other cars I service where they're in awkward places.

Stop repeating that.

Read the fine print: Fram is 99% at >20 microns. That little 'greater than' sign makes a HUGE difference. When I first saw that on the packaging, I thought 'Nobody is going to fall for that.'

No its 99%+ @ 20 microns.

The Ultra is two layers of synthetic media with wire backing, the Wix is a single layer or cellulose/glass blend.

You're not comparing apples to apples. You should be comparing the Fram Ultra to the Wix XP.

Around here the standard wix is only 1-2 dollars less than the Fram Ultra which is 1-2 dollars less than the XP. I think that makes them close enough in price to compare to see which is the better value for the price.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You're not comparing apples to apples. You should be comparing the Fram Ultra to the Wix XP.

The OP is the one who made the thread, and the Ultra beats the Wix XP or any spin on filter for that matter on paper in price to performance.

I don't know why you are so fond of the Wix XP when it isn't great at doing its one job... which is FILTERING! 50% @ 20 microns vs 99%+

Stop repeating that.

Why do people on this site continue to not understand that the Ultra is 99% @ 20 microns and the > sign means the same thing. And was confirmed by Fram in this site!

Stop repeating that.

The test-dust used in the standard ISO tests probably have a standard deviation on target particle size of something like 2 microns spread, so there really is no use in trying to think of "all exactly 20 microns" or any thoughts like that. The ISO tests merely categorize performance based on ranges, so "20 microns and up" is the valid thought.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

There is no comparison ...
eek.gif
grin.gif

AS far as I'm concerned, neither 901' or Zee' know what the XP ratings really are. I stand ready to apologize. It's moot, however. This isn't about the XP and there is no debate that the FU offers the best bang for the buck. I won't use Fram and the regular line of WIX filters are excellent.

Both 901' and Zee' should get paid for their incessant chest beating over the FU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back