Brand new Fram PH3786 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's a lot of media for an orange can! Clearly a specialized application, but very interesting none the less.

Thanks for cutting and posting!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wow that's a lot of media for an orange can! Clearly a specialized application, but very interesting none the less.

Thanks for cutting and posting!

Not to mention the metal end caps ... probably something unique to the "Fleet Care" line of Fram oil filters.

That or its one of those low volume ones... bought from somebody else...kinda looks baldwin-ish to me...check out the inner tube...the M1 I cut looks indentical....who knows...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
That`s a good lookin' Fram!

Except for the "ditch" accidentally put into the filter media, see 6th picture down, on left side. That will flow some extra unfiltered oil, not much though.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer

Except for the "ditch" accidentally put into the filter media, see 6th picture down, on left side. That will flow some extra unfiltered oil, not much though.

Just trying to simulate a Tearolator with built-in bypass action.
wink.gif

wow that orange can does not look bad i see the mobil filter looks like a purolater by that string but i could be wrong. Some of the china filters are looking good lately. I pay under $2.00 for oil filters made in china since we stopped buying filters made by purolater and i am very happy with them. I opened 5 so far and they were very nicely made.
It's sad that we are buying china made filters because they are better than the ones we make here!

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer

Isn't that a scar from the saw blade after being cut open?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
wow that orange can does not look bad i see the mobil filter looks like a purolater by that string

That string thing always bothers me on a filter. Just looks cheap. If a filter is constructed properly,wouldn't a string to hold it all together not be needed? Reminds me of when you tape a freshly glued seem together to hold it until it dries.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
wow that orange can does not look bad i see the mobil filter looks like a purolater by that string

That string thing always bothers me on a filter. Just looks cheap. If a filter is constructed properly,wouldn't a string to hold it all together not be needed? Reminds me of when you tape a freshly glued seem together to hold it until it dries.

IIRC the string is an "in process" tool to hold things in place until the adhesive sets up during assembly. After that it has no function. So its "cheap" nature is not one of function past holding things only for a momoent.

I know this is an old thread but I'd rather ask here than make a new one. Would I be better off using this filter or the Motorcraft FL-1995 on my 7.3 for the next oil change? I've been using the 1995 but am now a bit leery of the Tearolator issues although we never hardly see 7.3 filters cut open so I don't know if this is a problem with the Motorcraft on this application or not. These are only a couple bucks more than the Motorcraft and appear to be really well made, louvers are nice and wide open in the one I looked at, similar to a class 8 truck filter.

Do all FRAM's diesel application filters have metal end caps or is it just this particular part number, anyone know? Kinda neat, this is the filter I use on my 7.3 Powerstroke after finding out the FL1995 was tearing like the rest of the Tearolator lineup.

That's a good looking orange can. Picture of the seam side of the filter/media please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back