Looks like I'll be doing more shopping at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will continue to shop at Wal-Mart. They have usually good prices and as a consumer there is no use not taking advantage of better prices.

I live in Colorado and a lot of people in Colorado like their guns. I have guns myself. I don't carry a concealed handgun because I don't have a concealed carry permit. I have never seen people in any local Wal-Mart openly carrying guns unless they had just bought a new rifle. In fact my local Wal-Mart does not even sell handguns.

And if somebody owns guns it does not mean that they are a 'moron.' Lots of people own guns and in my experience in life I would much rather be around good, decent people who like guns than around criminals or drug addicts.

The majority of law abiding citizens I have met who own guns were extremely nice people. I met a guy at my gun range one time who was a big wheel in Silicon Valley in California. I will not disclose his name. Pretty bright guy. Not a 'moron.'

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I will continue to shop at Wal-Mart. They have usually good prices and as a consumer there is no use not taking advantage of better prices.

I live in Colorado and a lot of people in Colorado like their guns. I have guns myself. I don't carry a concealed handgun because I don't have a concealed carry permit. I have never seen people in any local Wal-Mart openly carrying guns unless they had just bought a new rifle. In fact my local Wal-Mart does not even sell handguns.

And if somebody owns guns it does not mean that they are a 'moron.' Lots of people own guns and in my experience in life I would much rather be around good, decent people who like guns than around criminals or drug addicts.

The majority of law abiding citizens I have met who own guns were extremely nice people. I met a guy at my gun range one time who was a big wheel in Silicon Valley in California. I will not disclose his name. Pretty bright guy. Not a 'moron.'

Never called Gun owners morons, Just that these "Super Market Militia's" Behave like Morons.

This behavior does not help ANYONE interested in preserving the right to own and carry Firearms.

There is enough Fodder out there in the media already.

But if you look at the picture I posted, You see one dude with a cellphone so I'm sure they got the 15 minutes of fame they went looking for.

Sad.

So where did the photograph come from? Did you take it? Where was the photo taken? According to your profile you like in PA. What sort of gun laws do they have there? I thought they had pretty strict gun laws there.

I live in Colorado. The last time I checked there is open carry allowed in Colorado. I don't know for sure-I own guns but I have never openly just carried a gun down a street or in a store. I do know a person can carry concealed but I don't have a concealed weapons permit.

I bet Colorado has more lenient guns laws than where you live. But I have never seen anybody openly carry guns around except for law enforcement, security, and the military. I have never seen anybody carry guns openly in a Wal-Mart Store, or any other store (except for gun stores). When I had my 9mm handgun checked fairly recently by a gunsmith in a gun store I asked permission to bring the weapon in, and then I carried it unloaded into the store with of course my finger off of the trigger.

Even children trained in gun use at a range are very strict about gun handling.

Where are these Wal-Mart Stores where all of these people are carrying AR-15s or AK-47s around openly? I have never seen it and I live in the West.

I bought some ammo in a Wal-Mart a long time back and as I was leaving the store their silly alarm went off for no reason. The woman who checked my bag with the ammo (and the receipt in the bag) nearly went into hysterics when she saw the ammo. I guess she was an anti-gunner. You would think from her reaction that I was carrying a bomb. People do buy ammo at that store on a regular basis so she needs to calm down and realize that. Or work in a store where they don't sell ammo.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
So where did the photograph come from? Did you take it? Where was the photo taken? According to your profile you like in PA. What sort of gun laws do they have there? I thought they had pretty strict gun laws there.

I live in Colorado. The last time I checked there is open carry allowed in Colorado. I don't know for sure-I own guns but I have never openly just carried a gun down a street or in a store. I do know a person can carry concealed but I don't have a concealed weapons permit.

I bet Colorado has more lenient guns laws than where you live. But I have never seen anybody openly carry guns around except for law enforcement, security, and the military. I have never seen anybody carry guns openly in a Wal-Mart Store, or any other store (except for gun stores). When I had my 9mm handgun checked fairly recently by a gunsmith in a gun store I asked permission to bring the weapon in, and then I carried it unloaded into the store with of course my finger off of the trigger.

Even children trained in gun use at a range are very strict about gun handling.

Where are these Wal-Mart Stores where all of these people are carrying AR-15s or AK-47s around openly? I have never seen it and I live in the West.

I bought some ammo in a Wal-Mart a long time back and as I was leaving the store their silly alarm went off for no reason. The woman who checked my bag with the ammo (and the receipt in the bag) nearly went into hysterics when she saw the ammo. I guess she was an anti-gunner. You would think from her reaction that I was carrying a bomb. People do buy ammo at that store on a regular basis so she needs to calm down and realize that. Or work in a store where they don't sell ammo.

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/pennsylvania.aspx

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/02/target-guns-ban_n_5551101.html

Indiana is a open cary state, and almost nobody open carys, However almost everyone has a gun (atleast those i know) I do from time to time open cary, However if im entering a very public place i usually pull my shirt over my weapon (everyone still see's your outline) I do this just basicaly out of repect for all. I know i can open cary, im not looking for attention myself and a open cary firearm usualy gets looks. 2 pennies

p.s. im good with others views of conceal or open.. to me its my all good.

Some tiny radical group trying to make a statement hardly represents the majority of gun owners in the USA. I don't know what the gun laws in Texas are like. I don't live in Texas. But sensible people do not make waves and try to antagonize other people.

This group in Texas hardly represents all gun owners in the USA and does not reflect in any way on the sort of people who shop at Wal-Mart. Remember, the title of this post was 'Looks like I'll be doing more shopping at Walmart.'

So how do we go from that title of this post to a photo apparently supposed to represent typical Wal-Mart shoppers? Do typical Wal-Mart shoppers carry AR-15s around the store as they shop?

I live in Colorado and I have never seen, to the best of my memory, shoppers carrying rifles around a store as they shop.

Yeah I know. It was kind of silly. But immediately after that several people went on the attack and started to say all kinds of silly nonsense about Wal-Mart shoppers. All kinds of people shop at Wal-Mart. I shop at Wal-Mart occasionally. For some items it is okay. I actually have not shopped at Target in a very long time (thank goodness-what with the big hack of data and all of that). I have been in a lot of different stores for one reason or another-Lowes, Home Depot, Bass Pro Shop, K-Mart, Sears, and on and on and on. Kind of hard to stereotype me right? I go to stores for a reason. I went to a watch store recently to get a new band for my watch.

There is probably no 'typical' Wal-Mart shopper. And I have not seen a Wal-Mart shopper yet carrying an AR-15 around as they shopped. Certain people who are extremely wealthy may avoid stores like Wal-Mart, or else send the servants to get items they want at a Wal-Mart Store.

I am not a millionaire so I don't shop only at exclusive, pricey stores.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
I open carry handgun all the time in ohio... I never really have a problem... Most people don't even notice.

Wow, are things that bad in Ohio now?

They probably aren't because people like him carry guns. Alot less crime happens when there is immediate enforcement on site. Most places with stricter gun laws have more crime coincidence I think not.

That is non argument, but it may be arguable when you look at real data.

I'm always intrigued by these facts regarding gun violence by state, given the data which shows the states with strict controls, vs., say, SC or FL. A personal analysis for safety, by the numbers, Im a bit safer in NJ than in PA, which has far more lax rules.

1000px-US_Violent_Crime_2004.svg.png

Map of violent crime per 100,000 people in the USA by state in 2004.

From here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

What's interesting to me is that many southern states with lax laws are also less safe.

Looks like you in Missourah or Arkansas are also in a less safe locale than I am despite our restrictive laws.

Fortunately Chris Christie vetoed the latest magazine capacity bill, btw....

But again, the issue here is the combination of people marching around with rifles and exposed guns needlessly to prove some point... Which does nothing but polarize the population and cause some to think that gun owners are fanatics... Causing more polarization and more stupidity...

And the fact that a private entity that has the right notionally to restrict anybody coming on their property for any reason, is doing this.. Classic vote with your wallet situation here, like the OP is doing. I'll bet that Target's target demographic is the woman looking to have a good deal and not stooping as low as walmart. She is also probably typically the anti gun, for the kids type, and so this suits their main and most profitable demographic. If that's the case and it is good business for them, no matter how much we may dislike it, can one fault them? Business is all about making money after all.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But again, the issue here is the combination of people marching around with rifles and exposed guns needlessly to prove some point... Which does nothing but polarize the population and cause some to think that gun owners are fanatics... Causing more polarization and more stupidity...

I agree with this, and I feel that these gun owners put Target in a real bad position. I own guns and I carry concealed daily. What these guys did in Texas is not acceptable. Along with rights come responsibilities, and these folks were not acting responsible.

Just as the 2nd Amendment protects our right to keep and to bear arms, the 1st Amendment prohibits the government of abridging our right to free speech. That having been said, societal norms dictate that you can't run into a crowded theater and yell "FIRE!", and you can't proclaim a threat against the President. Rights granted to us cannot be considered to be completely unilateral and without responsibility on our part as members of society, and that absolutely includes our right to keep and to bear arms. What these people did in Texas was not appropriate, even if it was within their legal right.

NRA called the actions of the Texas group detrimental to the cause, and I agree with that 100%.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/nra-open-carry-texas-weird-statement

It's really not unlike some of the discussion on this board, particularly with the apparent lightning-rod that is new vehicle financing. The usual crowd speaks up lambasting the practice, and the thread turns into something very negative, when it could have been very positive. Folks end up getting turned off to the ideas presented due solely to the way they are presented.

Just like what happened in Target.

I'm a law-abiding gun owner. If Target posts signs that ask that no firearms be brought in, my firearm won't go in. But that means that I won't either.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If Target posts signs that ask that no firearms be brought in, my firearm won't go in. But that means that I won't either.

If Target puts up their "own" sign that says no firearms,it has no substantiation. You can still legally carry your firearm in the store. Just like the convenience stores that have the "no weapons allowed" sign. If you`re legal to carry a handgun,you can have it on your person when you enter the business.

I totally agree with the posters who are saying those who walk through stores/businesses with rifles strapped on them are morons,because they're exactly that. Inbred looking,white trash morons. If you're going to carry a weapon,please conduct yourself as an educated,mature,grown up adult PLEASE.

Open carry imo should only include licensed handgun owners carrying them holstered. If they`re waving them around or flaunting them like idiots,they should be arrested.

Much of this silliness comes from Texas and is perpetrated by OCT (Open Carry Texas). Texas allows OC rifles, but not handguns. So it you want to open carry in TX it has to be done with rifles.

What the guys carrying rifles in a box store are doing is up to interpretation. While it is their right, and it does show that open carry is legal and may be getting people used to the idea, they could also be harming the cause with a bit too much shock value. Other photos show lax safety and questionable handling practices, along with cartoonish characters that would not engender a peaceful state of mind for bystanders. If TX allowed OC of handguns a lot of this uproar would not be happening.

Normal looking people, dressed normally, carrying a standard OC handgun, in a quality holster, not playing patty-cake with it in line, not resting their hands on it while walking around, and not otherwise causing undue alarm do not cause hate and discontent among normal people. It’s the people that are pushing the issue for the shock value that gain the attention of the anti’s. Done sensibly, this would not be an issue.

I carry concealed, and though open carry is legal in my state I don’t do it. When I’m out in the woods or fishing, I might OC, but I don’t in town.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I totally agree with the posters who are saying those who walk through stores/businesses with rifles strapped on them are morons,because they're exactly that. Inbred looking,white trash morons. If you're going to carry a weapon,please conduct yourself as an educated,mature,grown up adult PLEASE.

Open carry imo should only include licensed handgun owners carrying them holstered. If they`re waving them around or flaunting them like idiots,they should be arrested.

I get so tired of hearing this nonsense. They're open carrying long guns because long guns are legal to open carry. What they're fighting for is handgun open carry. The options are: do nothing, open carry handguns illegally, open carry long guns legally. Doing nothing clearly isn't going to accomplish anything. And I'm sure all you anti-gun NRA types would be all over them if they did anything illegal. You guys sit on the sidelines and watch. You don't matter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I'm always intrigued by these facts regarding gun violence by state, given the data which shows the states with strict controls, vs., say, SC or FL. A personal analysis for safety, by the numbers, Im a bit safer in NJ than in PA, which has far more lax rules.

1000px-US_Violent_Crime_2004.svg.png

Map of violent crime per 100,000 people in the USA by state in 2004.

From here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

What's interesting to me is that many southern states with lax laws are also less safe.

How do you explain ND and MD?

In Arkansas, a properly worded and placed sign prohibiting firearms has the force of law ( for law abiding people - we all know criminals could not care less ).

It remains to be seen if Target posts the proper signs, or simply lets it go as a polite request to not carry firearms in their stores.

Which I will honor, either way, because I respect private property rights.

As a business owner, and a gun owner, making payroll every week is more important to me than being the focal point of a ( needless ) social controversy. Target has handled it pretty well, I think.

These Open Carry Texas people are just nut cases. The idea that openly carrying long arms into a retail establishment is somehow going to persuade people to see the light about open carry is, well, nuts.

Being dressed like hayseeds looking for a Deliverance canoe trip is probably less than helpful, as well.

The thing I didn't like about this post was how it quickly got out of hand and some people turned it into a bash Wal-Mart shopper post. Most people I know at least occasionally shop at Wal-Mart. There is no 'typical' Wal-Mart shopper.

And if somebody showed up at my local Wal-Mart Store shopping and carrying an AR-15 I bet the store management would call the Sheriff's Office. That person would be explaining to sheriff's deputies why they felt it was necessary to carry an AR-15 while they shopped.

Like various people here have said-it makes so sense to antagonize people and give pro-gun people a bad name. Things are not so bad in this country that a person typically needs to carry their AR-15 or AK-47 around as they shop. I do not support the people in Texas carrying rifles to make a point about open carry.

There was even a racial remark made in this post in one of the replies that probably would have gotten somebody banned if it had been directed at minorities.

Target seems somewhat similar to me as Wal-Mart. For some reason I simply have not gone to the Target Store for a very long time. And I am glad I have not been to Target for a long time because of the customer data hacking situation that occurred a while back. My not going to Target had nothing to do with Target apparently being against open carry guns in their stores. Maybe they have signs at the doors but since I have not been to Target in a long time I don't know if there are signs or not. I simply have not shopped there for a long time and because of the hacking situation I will probably hesitate to shop there.

I feel we need to get beyond the insane pro-gun and anti-gun hysteria in this country and look at issues like mental health.

Originally Posted By: Win
In Arkansas, a properly worded and placed sign prohibiting firearms has the force of law ( for law abiding people - we all know criminals could not care less ).

It remains to be seen if Target posts the proper signs, or simply lets it go as a polite request to not carry firearms in their stores.

Which I will honor, either way, because I respect private property rights.

I agree with your post 100%. Property owners have the right to prohibit weapons on their property in NC as well. I'll bet the same is true in Texas. Section 30.06 of the Texas code does make it a misdemeanor to carry concealed where a sign is posted, but it doesn't specifically address open carry.

Either way, I, like you, respect the rights of property owners who wish to prohibit weapons on their property.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I get so tired of hearing this nonsense. They're open carrying long guns because long guns are legal to open carry. What they're fighting for is handgun open carry. The options are: do nothing, open carry handguns illegally, open carry long guns legally. Doing nothing clearly isn't going to accomplish anything. And I'm sure all you anti-gun NRA types would be all over them if they did anything illegal. You guys sit on the sidelines and watch. You don't matter.

What the [censored] are you going on about??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back